Possible fix for older fuel gauges. - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Steppenwolf

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Exclamation Gas float fix

Well, this is as good a place as any to post this. Here's the problem IMO:

The gas gauge (pre-07 at least) is a long resistor strip with a float. The float has two contacts - one on each side - that run along the resistor strip, thus changing the resitance reading which is interpreted as your fuel level. In the past, peopl have tried to fix erratic reading by taking Scotch-brite to the resistor strip, with the theory being that the strip was getting 'gummed up'. This helped at times - but sometimes not, and not for long. We were barking up the wrong tree.

If you pop the bottom off the float (it is glued or plastic-welded) you will find that the two contacts are separate pieces - one for each side. Now this is the important part: THE TWO PIECES ONLY LAY ON TOP OF EACH OTHER UNDER THE FOLAT BOTTOM (see pic with my hand in it) In other words, the circuit depends on thos two piece of metal laying on top of each other (!!!!!) There is NO connector or screw to secure the plates and ensure they stay in contact (double !!!!!!!!!!).

When I took my float apart, I found that the two contact plates (brushes) were discolored from time and fuel exposure - including where they overlapped and were supposed to be closing the circuit. I cleaned them up and placed a TINY drop of solder to hold them to each other. (Disclaimer - I have NO idea if solder in your gas is a BAD idea, but the amount was tiny and then I slathered the whole thing in epoxy to glue the float back togther.

So far, so good! But what a terrible design...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasFloat01.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	120555   Click image for larger version

Name:	gasFloat02.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	120556  
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Alex this was a very good post so I cut a copy of your post out so it wouldn't get lost.

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Steppenwolf

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Alex this was a very good post so I cut a copy of your post out so it wouldn't get lost.
My gauge better keep working then... And you could've at least fixed the typos...

Again, I emphasize that the two pieces were just laying on top of each other - not even glued to each other. Just the bottom plate of the float supposed the keep them pressed together. Sort of like trying to wire a circuit by stripping wires and then just setting them on top of each other and laying a book on top.. This approach for a circuit that is going to remain immersed in gas!!!

Despite the fuzziness of the pics, you can still see how discolored the contacts were - on an '06 with about 12.5k miles.
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
rti5fs
Silver Bullet

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is a great post that makes a lot of sense. Have you considered sending this to Harley? They may be unaware of how the parts work that they purchase to put into thier bikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rti5fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
gsxrdoug
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I bet China know's how its made.

Just remember shiny side up.
gsxrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
jdanger
Dj, Vrodder

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From when I bought my 03, around 7,000 miles on it to about 11,000 miles my gauge never worked.
Last winter I ran Sea Foam through the thing and my fuel gauge has worked ever since. Now at almost 16,000. I will say I still set the trip just in case, but it seems to function dead on now...

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway"

myspace.com/djporsche
jdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
vrscbgreg
Registered Full

Is running seafoam in these bikes ok? I have run it once before and heard that it can harden seals and stuff... true?
vrscbgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Skerlnik
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrscbgreg View Post
Is running seafoam in these bikes ok? I have run it once before and heard that it can harden seals and stuff... true?
I've used seafoam in all three applictions (injectors, fuel, & oil) on my truck without incident.

I've used seafoam to stabilize the fuel for winterization on both bikes (V-Rod & Ultra) without incident.
Skerlnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
jamlthr
Registered Full

What is Seafoam and where do you get it? I have an 03 which I bought with 10000 miles on it. Gas gauge worked about 3 days and quit!
jamlthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
jdanger
Dj, Vrodder

Here is the Sea Foam website with all the info below. Our Wal-Marts up north at least where I am don't have it. I get it at a Menards, home depot or probably a Lowes I would assume has it. Otherwise just a hardware store.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlthr View Post
What is Seafoam and where do you get it? I have an 03 which I bought with 10000 miles on it. Gas gauge worked about 3 days and quit!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway"

myspace.com/djporsche
jdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Nunzio
Registered Full

gas float fix

Do you use a particular type of epoxy or just the standard stuff from Wally World??
Nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
rjrivero
Friend of Max.

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Has anyone else tried this fix? I'm looking for a follow up report.

Thanks.

RJ
rjrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
MY100
VROD JUNKIE

Feedback Score: 7 reviews

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bone Stock 2003
MY100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
capngeo
George

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Man, Alex was a pretty sharp dude... good fix!

I still get a little "misty" when one of his threads comes back though.

The World's ONLY "
" V-Rod

Ol' Bubba, Popes of Hell MC

You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot o' experience...
The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
RF_R_US
Lifetime Premium

Been reading about these problems a bit and I don't have the problem BUT oxide on Copper is conductive, shouldn't be a problem. Is the plating on those contacts copper ?

John
(now I can REALLY screw up this bike), etc., etc.

Other Fossil Fuel Burning Toys: '05 FLHTCUI, '96 KLR650, '73 Chevy Nova SS yeah it's :bad:
RF_R_US is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement