Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Night Rod Muscle

209K views 602 replies 89 participants last post by  Hotrodz 
#1 ·
Okay guys Ive been fart arsing about with the bike for the last two weeks and decided to drop the engine to get some work done and then have it painted and blacked out. As you may have already read in my previous thread I wanted to do a lot more work when I fitted my BST Wheels but ran out of time and had to get it back together because I had a 2500 km ride over to the Great Ocean Road to get too. Well once i had the engine out I decided F**K it Im going to do what I should have done in the first place and completely strip the bike down to a bare frame modify what i want, customise this baby and build it how it should have been built in the first place.

So I have a gazillion pieces at the moment and a mega build under way. After getting the frame off the engine I decided that I really would like to have this bike looking better than when it came out of the showroom. Hence I sent the frame off to the painters and had her covered in jet ice black which is a deeper and glossier colour than the factory but IMHO looks a hell of a lot better. So now the re-asembly begins. Here's some pics of the frame of the bench and this thread will chronicle my changes along the way as I put it back together.

Obviously the couple of coats of clear make a big difference but the black is deeper and darker which I like.

Whilst I picked up my frame today I dropped off my triple trees and forks to have them blacked out and matched to the frame colour as will the swing arm later. I'm only painting the fork bottom so I still have a bit of contrast but the rest of the bike will be blacked out.

You will notice that the lower frame rails are missing but there is a story to that they are being modified. Im going an OEM and Performance Machine hybrid mid control set up which Ill explain as I go. What I have done is chopped off the frame boss mounts for the forward controls and the POS OEM stand. Im fitting a custom low profile stand more towards the centre of the bike which is slim line with a hidden internal spring arrangement which will hold the bike better and look a hell of a lot cleaner. This was about 2 kilos of stand and control mounts taken off the lower rails. This deletes the issues that people have with the bushing in the OEM stand needing attention and upon inspection and dissasembly of mine I identified it was already developing slop in it.

Without going into full details now Im intending on going to custom bars, risers and a Vance and Hines race dash as well as a number of other things including custom paint, bitchin seat and lyndall rotors.....
More pictures to follow......:dance:

See less See more
#244 ·
Looking choice oz!! Ready for the toy run???
Thanks for the hangover flashback bt.... Did that last night! Honey and a devils cut...

#246 ·
TOYRUN was ok last year BUT think i just go down to Victoria park this year and watch the bikes leave !!!

#247 ·
Yeh you say that but everyone gets giddy on the day!! BT you should move to S A , I could demolish that with ya!!!

#249 ·
Hahaha yeh I think if I stepped into one it would instantly combust...

#250 ·
Got a bit of work done on the bike this morning and happy with the way it looks. Fitted the swing arm and pivot bolt covers. Also fitted the rear sub frame and plastic cover that goes between the bottom of the sub frame and the top of the fuel tank inside the rear wheel arch.

Finished fitting the performance machine elite pegs which look great. I still need a few bolts and retaining clips to finish it off which I should get from HD this week. The toe peg on the brake side looks so much better than the HD pedal. Its an easy mod just cut off the brake pedal drill and tap a hole and it fits straight on.

Trial fitted the front forks. They are at the right height cos I have dropped the bike through the triples by half an inch which should make it sit flatter and turn into corners a lot better as well. The fairing when it comes should completely hide the bar clamps and dash. I need to take that stuff off to drill a hole in the bottom triple clamp for the headlight mount. I will need to wait for the fairing to arrive so I can do a trial fit with the whole assembly but it should look great.

Next stop throttle bodies, horn, coolant hoses and pipes and wiring loom then dash.

#259 ·
slow progress still waiting for my lyndall rotors they had a glitch and had to re do them and my fairing saga continues waiting for that to be painted now....

Anyways fitted the horn and injector loom and fuel rail with the lines to the pump. Waiting for a bolt so I can screw in the throttle bodies. Have decided to go with braided line again for my coolant hoses so waiting for a new kit to arrive hopefully it will be here by the weekend so I can re fit it and the coolant pipes, radiator and battery tray. Then its onto the loom.....

#260 ·
Have decided to go with braided line again for my coolant hoses so waiting for a new kit to arrive hopefully it will be here by the weekend so I can re fit it and the coolant pipes, radiator and battery tray. Then its onto the loom.....
It looks sick, Oz. is there a kit for braided lines on the V-Rod? If so, who carries it?

Jimmy

#265 ·
seat

where did you get that seat?

#266 ·
Well I'm back Peter Stevens finally sorted out my fairing issue after much stuffing around so I went to fit the fairing and my LED headlight the other day only to find the bolts supplied are too short. Anyways my Lyndall composite rotors arrived as well after a hold up from Lyndall. I changed my mind and ordered the black anodized centres instead of the black chrome centres. I didn't like the look of the chrome I thought they were too silver looking. Anyways here are some pics of the the rotors all fitted up with the rear pulley sprocket as well. This indexed really well and you can see straight through the wheel which is exactly the look Im after. The light in these photos doesn't do it all justice it looks better than the pics I'm really happy. So I will be fitting these up with the rear shocks and some other stuff tomorrow hopefully some more pics to follow so i can make some more progress before christmas.

Thanks to Hogpro they have been really great to deal with.. PS these rotors are bloody light nearly 6 kilo saving over 3 rotors.

#270 ·
the parts i changed and upgraded would have been changed and upgraded on the DX anyway. When I was looking the DX didnt have the upside down forks either and the way i painted the engine looks better than a standard DX IMHO. Plus the DX forks are black and everyones got a DX LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.