GPS Tracker - LoJack Installation Question - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
zantegr
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GPS Tracker - LoJack Installation Question

Hello,

I have recently purchased a DB2 tracker and it has a red and black wire that connects directly to the battery. I have the 2003 VROD and I don't want to connect directly to the battery as an experienced thief will take off the air intake cover and pull the wires.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best place to hide the GPS tracker?

What is the best place to splice the wires so that the tracker is not connected directly to the battery.

Thank you for your help.
zantegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantegr View Post
Hello,

I have recently purchased a DB2 tracker and it has a red and black wire that connects directly to the battery. I have the 2003 VROD and I don't want to connect directly to the battery as an experienced thief will take off the air intake cover and pull the wires.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best place to hide the GPS tracker?

What is the best place to splice the wires so that the tracker is not connected directly to the battery.

Thank you for your help.
Think backup battery and DMM (multimeter).

Limited options due to physical limitations on a bike though.

Perhaps a garage and a .45 ACP would work better? <--I bought that system...seems to work well!
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
Think backup battery and DMM (multimeter).

Limited options due to physical limitations on a bike though.

Perhaps a garage and a .45 ACP would work better? <--I bought that system...seems to work well!
Thank you for the reply, recently purchased the bike and it is my first Harley so im unsure where to even start looking for wires for the tracker with a dmm. I was hoping someone had done it and could point me in the right direction.

The bike is in a garage, born and raised in NY but currently in the UK so .45's are out of the question

Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
vegetate
Registered Full

There is "P&A Battery" connector typically under the pillion. It is connected directly to the battery "+". Ok, to the main 40A fuse.
You can use it's wire.

PS: Some more about this:
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154716

Last edited by vegetate; 03-04-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: link added.
vegetate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
zantegr
Registered Full

Amazing!!! Had a look at the information you mentioned and link you sent over and its definitely what I am looking for. Im going to check under the seat tomorrow and see if I can find a part number on the existing P&A Battery Connector, if I do I will order the male/female version from HD.

Really appreciate your help, once I get it sorted I will post some pics and part numbers needed
Old 03-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Doesn't your gps tracker have a battery backup allowing it to continue operation if the main power source is compromised? It would seem that if it is totally dependent on the 12V bike battery then cutting or removing a battery cable would render it useless.
Not a very good device if no battery backup.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Doesn't your gps tracker have a battery backup allowing it to continue operation if the main power source is compromised? It would seem that if it is totally dependent on the 12V bike battery then cutting or removing a battery cable would render it useless.
Not a very good device if no battery backup.
The tracker does not have a battery backup unfortunately. The reason I purchased this one is that it texts me if the bike is moved even a little bit when the key is not in the ignition. It also offers a cheap per month pay as you go plan. Any of the other trackers I saw were more expensive to buy and charged much more per month.

I can return it if I find a better solution, can you suggest a tracker that will be as good or better that has a battery backup at a similar price point? I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

Last edited by zantegr; 03-04-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Find the other ends of the two battery cables and connect your tracker there. Then, if it will fit, install the tracker itself inside the air box making it less obvious. Also if it has verbiage on it saying what it is remove same to make it less obvious as to its purpose.
If someone is going to hijack it then at least they probably will not take time to search for a tracker.JMHO

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
The tracker does not have a battery backup unfortunately. The reason I purchased this one is that it texts me if the bike is moved even a little bit when the key is not in the ignition. It also offers a cheap per month pay as you go plan. Any of the other trackers I saw were more expensive to buy and charged much more per month.

I can return it if I find a better solution, can you suggest a tracker that will be as good or better that has a battery backup at a similar price point? I am open to suggestions.

Thank you
So after your comment about the backup battery I started thinking that the tracker is pretty useless without the backup power as snip of the battery wire and all is lost. I called the company to return the tracker stating my issue, they told me that the version I got has a backup battery that lasts between 4-5 hours! I wasn't sure so I tested it on the bike tonight and it actually has a backup battery!!!! I tested it for an hour and it actually tracked the location.
Thank you for the advice, it made me think about having a proper solution and it worked out for the best.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
vegetate
Registered Full

Quote:
Im going to check under the seat tomorrow and see if I can find a part number on the existing P&A Battery Connector, if I do I will order the male/female version from HD.
Was searching with very close reasons, and found this:

There also HD's kit part no. 70270-04A.
vegetate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetate View Post
Was searching with very close reasons, and found this:

There also HD's kit part no. 70270-04A.
Thank you for the part number, I appreciate the info. Unfortunately for me I have a 2003 V Rod and that part is for the 2004 and above. I think that the 2003 is missing a P&A connector

If it does exist on the 2003 any help finding it on the motorbike would be great.

Thank you
Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Dawgun
Registered Full

It's been a few months since your last post. How goes the install?
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dawgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgun View Post
It's been a few months since your last post. How goes the install?

The 2003 VROD does not have the P&A connector from what I could see so I was forced to install it using the direct connection to the battery. I hid the tracker on top of the battery and used black electric tape to cover the lights as when it was dark there was a tiny green light blink through the side air covers, you really really had to look and I saw it in a pitch black garage.
Ran the wires under the battery and around the back so if someone is looking for it they won’t be able to follow the wires. It works great up until now and to be honest it would take a thief quite some time to be able to remove the tracker. I’m happy with the device, and the battery back up works well. The only negative I could say is if you leave the bike stationary for more than 30 days it will drain the battery. I use a trickle charger when the bike is stationary so I don’t have a big issue. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
Dawgun
Registered Full

Thanks for the quick reply. Happy to hear that you found a way to install it that gives you some confidence about the install.

I tried to find DB2 here in the states but it's not branded that way. I'll be looking into a different solution. Perhaps the Mobile 200i GPS tracker (which requires recharging) or some other hardwired solution.
Harley Day Bag
Woohoo it's fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dawgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement