LED tail/brake trouble - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
JoeCam
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LED tail/brake trouble

I ordered a 1157 LED tail/brake light bulb for my NRS. The tail light works but the brake light only lights slightly brighter It's so little of a difference that it dangerous. I sent that light back and ordered another bulb from a different company. The 2nd bulb did the same thing. Is there some in the wiring that causes this. Incandesent works fine.

I tested connections with a volt meter and found negative and constant 12v for tail lamp and 12v across the brake lead (when activated). Any thoughts?
JoeCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Moler
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have one on mine and it is very noticeable. My guess is the quality of your bulb..
Moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
JoeCam
Registered Full

Moler,

Can you share the bulb info for what you used?

Old 09-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Moler
Registered Full

I used Sylvania zevo 1157 red. Nice and bright. 2006 nightrod
Old 10-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
JoeCam
Registered Full

Thanks Moler! I ordered a Zevo 1157 bulb and it works great. Since then I found out that the bulbs I previously ordered work on a different principle. They are voltage regulated meaning that all 27 leds are working as the tail light and when braking allows for voltage to increase the brightness of all 27. For what ever reason the voltage difference was negligible on my NRS (meaning the brake light wasn't much brighter at all and down right dangerous)

The Zevo bulb has 4 leds - 2 on each "circuit" -2 are constant on for tail light and two come on with the brakes. Much better functionality. The brake light difference can be seen instantly and from farther away (i.e. very bright).

Anyone ordering tail lights make sure you look that there are LEDs on 2 separate "circuits".
Old 10-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Moler
Registered Full

Your welcome. I did have the cluster LED tail light until it kept continuously falling out( piece of crap) and went back to stock with the LED bulb. WAAAY better setup.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You have run into a issue with LED lighting. They are all ON or all OFF. No dimming capabilities like incandescence lights. Have the same issue with the lights in my house. Recently changed a bunch of incandescent bulbs to LEDs and now my dimmer switches do not work very well. The LEDs I used are supposed to simulate dimming but are totally inadequate in their attempt.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So I have installed the kit that makes the turn signals brake lights and running lights. They use the 1156 bulb. Any thoughts on LED for them?
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
JoeCam
Registered Full

Nas3car - Sylvania makes an 1156 version of the Zevo bulb and if it works anything like the 1157 (brightness) I think you'll be fine with it.
Tell me about the kit you ordered - is it the Harley "Jumper Harness" that plugs in to the stock harness under the seat?

https://www.shoputahharley.com/produ...0aAk1-EALw_wcB
Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes its the jumper harness. I had an issue once where the running filament went out and well y'all know black bike, black shirt, black helmet and dark road. Good thing wife was behind me and knew I was there. So now there are three bulbs running.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement