Clutch bleeding issue - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
MandM
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch bleeding issue

Just bought an 05 VRSCSE. Works fine, no issues - I'll fix that.

So, went to replace fluid for the clutch. Removed reservoir cover. Soaked up the old fluid. Cleaned out some black sludge. Refilled with new purple DOT 5. Connected tubing to bleeder valve under the cover.

Pulled on the clutch lever, opened the bleeder valve, had some fluid enter the tube, closed the bleeder valve, released the clutch lever.

Now, the clutch lever will not retract. It does, but it's just limp, not recharging with hydraulic fluid.

What's going on?
Thanks,
Mike
MandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

So, went to replace fluid for the clutch. Removed reservoir cover. Soaked up the old fluid. Cleaned out some black sludge. Refilled with new purple DOT 5. Connected tubing to bleeder valve under the cover.

Pulled on the clutch lever, opened the bleeder valve, had some fluid enter the tube, closed the bleeder valve, released the clutch lever.

Now, the clutch lever will not retract. It does, but it's just limp, not recharging with hydraulic fluid.

What's going on?
Thanks,
Mike
You might have blocked a hole where the fluid enters the piston area from the reservoir when you were cleaning out the crap. You could try blowing fluid back from the slave to clear it and dislodge the crud back into the reservoir but disassembling the mater and a good clean out is a better idea.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
MandM
Registered Full

Ok now

Well, went to lunch. Came back and it's working. Bled the front and rear brakes with no issues. Thanks.
MandM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Well, went to lunch. Came back and it's working. Bled the front and rear brakes with no issues. Thanks.
Likely dislodged what was blocking it as the slave had some built up pressure in it. This showed up as a lever not returning at first. Keep and eye on it.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Garyfack
Registered Full

why do we need a group buy can't you just buy it off Website?? for 149.99 eur shipped to me?
Old 09-14-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
coastrider
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyfack View Post
why do we need a group buy can't you just buy it off Website?? for 149.99 eur shipped to me?
I think I you have posted in wrong thread, but I will answer your question anyway. Firstly it is £150 not €150. You can purchase yourself no problem, but the point of a group buy is that in exchange for a guaranteed order of a certain quantity the vendor does a special reduced price.
coastrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Garyfack
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
I think I you have posted in wrong thread, but I will answer your question anyway. Firstly it is £150 not €150. You can purchase yourself no problem, but the point of a group buy is that in exchange for a guaranteed order of a certain quantity the vendor does a special reduced price.
yeah, sorry cant figure out how to delete this message.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
stevemcgov
Registered Full

Sounds like your all set..
Older models take dot5?
Mixing fluid types can be an issue.

My 2 cents- I do the clutch/brake fluids around every 2 years.
Just dabbing out the res and adding fluid can leave a lot of crud down the line.
I do it the old fashioned way and pump quite a bit of fresh fluid through the
lines even when it starts t run clear. BelRay Dot4.
I tap the lines and calipers with a rubber mallet while holding the lever in and little trapped air bubbles come up to the res. I leave a rubber band holding the lever (brake or clutch) in for a few hours allowing more air to purge up.

Pretty sure Dot 3, 4, 5. brake fluids are hygroscopic/water absorbing.
I am obsessive and I like good brakes,
I seal the Brake Reservoir covers with a little gasket sealer, screw them down tight and wrap electrical tape around the crack to seal it.
It's often very humid here near Boston. Fluid seems to get crappy pretty quick.
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
dlp
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Actually, DOT 5 is hydrophobic.

I use an inexpensive tester like this to check my brake and clutch fluid. I believe it measures resistance across the electrodes and converts the result to % water content:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	534129  
dlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
stevemcgov
Registered Full

Thx-nice gadget.
if I upgraded to steel brake lines and purged all the old fluid then could I upgrade to dot5?

06 D W/Brenbo's
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
dlp
Lifetime Premium

My understanding is that a hydraulic system that's contained anything other than DOT 5 shouldn't be changed to DOT 5. Apparently, no amount of flushing can remove all the water, which DOT 5 doesn't disperse; hence, corrosion follows. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_...nd_maintenance

Whether changing the brake lines would be sufficient is a judgment call -- don't know.

I assume you don't have ABS. DOT 5 is a no-no in ABS systems, as I hope we all know.
dlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
RONVROD
My Last Ride

Garage
Quote:

What's going on?
Thanks,
Mike
Any time that you find sludge in the MC reservoir then it's best to disassemble the master cylinder because that black sludge also exists in the piston cylinder.
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #13
stevemcgov
Registered Full

06 D non-abs. thank you!
as I hope we all know....Now I know!

Figured the brakes lines will need to be replaced at some point might as well upgrade them then-
13 years old w/15k miles-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement