How to make a tail tidy in one easy lesson: - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCF
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #16
V-Buster
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Looks great! I think you might have improved on my idea; I didn't trust my dremel skills, but after seeing yours, I think I might have gone that way if I had to do it over again.

And, you don't need to worry about notching for the power cable to the led frame.

Excellent work!

R.
Thanks! I couldn't have done it without you blazing the trail and scorched ensuring me that I could cut the plastic and make it look good like he did on his Tail Tidy. As you mention, I didn't have to notch the real plate like I did the dealer plate. I was just mocking it up with that plate and cut too much. Here is the finished version, I'll bet that plate number looks familar

Quote:
One thing to consider-- I used black plastic bolts (you can pick them up at any motorcycle store) to mount the led frame to the tidy. I was *pretty* confident of my measurement, but didn't want to use metal bolts so if I was off a bit and bottomed out, I didn't want to take the chance of gouging the tire. I figured the plastic bolt would break before scoring the tire.

Maybe overkill, but that was my thought process.

R.
I though about using the plastic bolts too, but I ended up using steel and nylon lock nuts that came with the LED plate frame. After the final install I cut off the extra bolt length and then used the dremel to polish it all flush and smooth. Even with full shock compression they don't touch, but even if they somehow managed to, they are so smooth that they shouldn't do anything but rub lightly instead of gouging the tire. Here is what it looks like on the back:

Thanks again!
V-Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 AM   #17
scorched
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here is my version which WAS inspired by FBJ. Nice write up FBJ...
I wanted more of the plastic to the left and right for a more integrated factory look. I'm not sure anyone notices but me though.
Ideas and inspiration and information is what forums are all about IMO.

[/URL]
scorched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
BT
Good Muthafarka

Thats a nice job !!!!
BT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
VRodStew
Registered Full

Garage
Scorched, Can you share any tips or tricks for how you cut the plastic dogs-azz? I have all the parts ordered! Hoping to work on this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched View Post
Here is my version which WAS inspired by FBJ. Nice write up FBJ...
I wanted more of the plastic to the left and right for a more integrated factory look. I'm not sure anyone notices but me though.
Ideas and inspiration and information is what forums are all about IMO.

[/URL]
DynoJet Power Vision with basic Auto Tune.
Dyno by Quicktime Racing @ 113hp at the wheel...TRQ..TBC
Wizard LED Lighting
Black HD Daymaker LED Headlight
HD headlamp visor
HD Backrest and HD Rack (yes I am a fender driller)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VRodStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
scorched
Registered Full

There's some detailed information and photos here:
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259457

Make sure the plastic is warm so it isn't real brittle. You're just a bit south of me (I actually work on the IL side of the river but live about 1 ½ hours north of St Louis) so it wouldn't help to set it in the sun. Basically just make sure it isn't cold. Normal room temp will be fine.
I initially used some tin snips to cut away the bulk, you could use a Dremel or what ever for the bulk work. Then trim it to how you want it with a Dremel or hand files (my personal favorite for detail work).
Just read through that thread. Let me know if you need any more info.
Just keep in mind, you are only going to end up with about 10% of what you started with.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
c33jd13s3l
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just cut mine down and posted some pics over there. First time with a dremel and i hacked it up pretty bad. If you use a sanding wheel to clean up the edges, make sure its not coarse or it will chew up the plastic.
c33jd13s3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #22
VRodStew
Registered Full

Garage
Thanks! That helps a lot!

Quote:
There's some detailed information and photos here:
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259457

Make sure the plastic is warm so it isn't real brittle. You're just a bit south of me (I actually work on the IL side of the river but live about 1 ½ hours north of St Louis) so it wouldn't help to set it in the sun. Basically just make sure it isn't cold. Normal room temp will be fine.
I initially used some tin snips to cut away the bulk, you could use a Dremel or what ever for the bulk work. Then trim it to how you want it with a Dremel or hand files (my personal favorite for detail work).
Just read through that thread. Let me know if you need any more info.
Just keep in mind, you are only going to end up with about 10% of what you started with.
DynoJet Power Vision with basic Auto Tune.
Dyno by Quicktime Racing @ 113hp at the wheel...TRQ..TBC
Wizard LED Lighting
Black HD Daymaker LED Headlight
HD headlamp visor
HD Backrest and HD Rack (yes I am a fender driller)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VRodStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #23
FrodTim
Lifetime Premium

Great job scorched ... Looks very nice

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
FrodTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #24
Ozracer
Night Rod Muscle

scorched thats brilliant best one Ive seen yet it does look factory and it follows the lines really nicely from under the bottom of the factory tail light. I would love to see a pic as well of the dogs ass without the plate to see the profile lines. Also how did you cut it with a dremel?
Ozracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #25
baggio95
Registered Full

Side-mount

All of these look pretty sharp. The DX dogs ass is pretty big comparatively speaking. Can any of you guys help with a part # for the stock side-mount, I can't find it anywhere? Or if anyone has an inexpensive one they would like to get rid of.
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
scorched
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozracer View Post
scorched thats brilliant best one Ive seen yet it does look factory and it follows the lines really nicely from under the bottom of the factory tail light. I would love to see a pic as well of the dogs ass without the plate to see the profile lines. Also how did you cut it with a dremel?

Here's the link to a thread with a discussion and photos (I have changed the color of my bike)

The best way to cut plastic is with a Dremel utilizing an 1/8th inch drill bit. It will cut side ways and not jack up the plastic. Don't use a Roto-zip bit, it's too hard to control.
For rough cutting, I like to use tin snips or side cutters. For detail work, I use hand files. For finish work sand paper and fire! (Propane torch)

If anyone is close enough to come to my place, I'd be happy to do it for then and take pics along the way. When I did mine I had tried about 3 different ways - this one worked best and was also the easiest in the end.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio95 View Post
Can any of you guys help with a part # for the stock side-mount, I can't find it anywhere?
Go here:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm

Drill down to any of the F models. Then look under "Tail Lamp w/ Rear Turn Signals and License Plate Bracket".

Then, take the part numbers, and go here to cross-compare pricing. Sometimes (usually), it's a fair bit cheaper. Don't forget about shipping charges:

http://shop.newcastlehd.com/content/search-part-number
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
baggio95
Registered Full

Quote:
Go here:

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...partfinder.htm

Drill down to any of the F models. Then look under "Tail Lamp w/ Rear Turn Signals and License Plate Bracket".

Then, take the part numbers, and go here to cross-compare pricing. Sometimes (usually), it's a fair bit cheaper. Don't forget about shipping charges:

http://shop.newcastlehd.com/content/search-part-number

Thanks, I appreciate it.
baggio95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #29
BT
Good Muthafarka

Quote:

Here's the link to a thread with a discussion and photos (I have changed the color of my bike)

The best way to cut plastic is with a Dremel utilizing an 1/8th inch drill bit. It will cut side ways and not jack up the plastic. Don't use a Roto-zip bit, it's too hard to control.
For rough cutting, I like to use tin snips or side cutters. For detail work, I use hand files. For finish work sand paper and fire! (Propane torch)

If anyone is close enough to come to my place, I'd be happy to do it for then and take pics along the way. When I did mine I had tried about 3 different ways - this one worked best and was also the easiest in the end.
Does that plastic need a backing plate to strengthen ?
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #30
scorched
Registered Full

No. There's no stress on it and it doesn't vibrate that I've noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement