how TALL can I go? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
GavinD
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how TALL can I go?

Been feeling like I want a new bike (adventure-touring, like a Triumph Tiger specifically), and while the DX is currently for sale, I can't find a single person who actually wants to buy it! I've dropped the price a LOT, but I'm getting NOTHING for hits.
So, maybe I should explore modifying until I'm actually happy with it.

It's a '12 DX with mid controls, and it's too low. I want more ground clearance and a taller seat height to straighten my legs out underneath me more. I've already gotten rid of the forward controls because they are not comfortable for more than an hour or two of riding, but the mids have my knees bent too much to easily transfer weight onto them. Basically, I want a 2012 Street Rod, but with more upright bars. AKA the opposite of basically every Harley.

What kind of options are there out there for longer shocks and taller seats that fit a 2012+ bike? Any suggestions?
GavinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Tie_One_On
Tie One On

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD View Post
Been feeling like I want a new bike (adventure-touring, like a Triumph Tiger specifically), and while the DX is currently for sale, I can't find a single person who actually wants to buy it! I've dropped the price a LOT, but I'm getting NOTHING for hits.

It's a '12 DX with mid controls, and it's too low. I want more ground clearance and a taller seat height to straighten my legs out underneath me more. I've already gotten rid of the forward controls because they are not comfortable for more than an hour or two of riding, but the mids have my knees bent too much to easily transfer weight onto them. Basically, I want a 2012 Street Rod, but with more upright bars. AKA the opposite of basically every Harley.

What kind of options are there out there for longer shocks and taller seats that fit a 2012+ bike? Any suggestions?
Take the motor and wiring harness out and associated electroncis and put them into another frame that fits your needs.
Ebay is crawling with frames for sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 street rod SuperCharged (and proud of it)
'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Tie_One_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
GavinD
Registered Full

Wow. If that's seriously the best option, I guess my first response to just sell the bike and buy something else was the right one.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
robe2388
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD View Post

Have you considered air shocks? You can lift up the bike a lot more than the stock set up.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

So yea, lets build a 2012 R Model ! Being an R Model owner, and having put hwy pegs on a set of OEM engine guards to stretch out my legs I feel your mid control pain ! Just add a couple inches to your rear shocks-(the R has 15.75" so I'm going for 16" replacements) and lift up the ass end of your bike - this will steepen the front rake ( and reduce trail ) but give you a taller bike without extending the front forks. Now add height to the seat cushion till your inseam says that's enough and voila' you are in happy land. Install front hwy pegs where you removed the fwd controls and that's as close to a 2012 Street Rod as you're gonna get. I always wanted a 1250 Street Rod and Tie_One_On has that path ( which ain't bad and it will steer better) but for you to keep your bike this would be much easier. Me I'm building a 1250 Stg 2 for the Street Rod finally but I don't really recommend that for you, that's WAY too involved.
streetrodracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
GavinD
Registered Full

Well, it's too late for me. I sold the V-Rod and picked up a 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer (1200) for a steal.
It's faster than the V-Rod, more comfortable, handles better, has more storage, is better on gas, weighs less, turns a tighter corner, and is easier to move around in my garage. It doesn't look as cool, though, but for me, it's a much better bike.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
True, a different animal.

Link: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...explorer/2012/

Overall Rating
5 out of 5
"Triumph has built a bike with more power, better handling, more agility and arguably better styling than R1200GS. It weighs in on the heavier side and never feels quite as exciting and as pure as the relatively lightweight GS, but in every other way it has the BMW knocked".

FLY, you agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger Explorer.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	533369  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Being born & raised in New England myself that's probably a better bike for you GavinD if you want to explore the back country street to gravel. I did Colorado on a rented BMW 1200 GS couple years ago with the wife on the back even rode to Breckenridge thru the back door on up to 11,200 ft high on an old railroad bed with rocks, sleet & snow. Really cool ride and then back to Denver on pavement at 85 Mph thru the Eisenhower tunnel. These bikes will do it all but not as stable as a V Rod at 140 Mph. Use the right tool for the selected job. Hate to see you sell the V Rod but I've got a Triumph Adventurer 900 Triple with Daytona 3 into 2 pipes and I love that bike. It's all about having more than one bike but that Explorer is the Swiss Army Knife of Motorcycles - Enjoy !
streetrodracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:05 AM   #9
stsouldier
Registered Full

Sorry but this bike isn’t comparable to the Vrod in any way. It’s purely function over form. Vrod looks like a piece of art. This doesn’t. At the end of the day, to each it’s own but do t compare a Picasso Masterpiece to a Tool chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut J View Post
True, a different animal.

Link: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...explorer/2012/

Overall Rating
5 out of 5
"Triumph has built a bike with more power, better handling, more agility and arguably better styling than R1200GS. It weighs in on the heavier side and never feels quite as exciting and as pure as the relatively lightweight GS, but in every other way it has the BMW knocked".

FLY, you agree?
stsouldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #10
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsouldier View Post
... Compare a picasso masterpiece to a tool chest.
l.o.l.

WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement