Akropovic vs ground pounder - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-30-2019, 03:50 AM   #1
Itspablo
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Akropovic vs ground pounder

I've recently fitted a Akropovic 2into1 to my 2012 nrs. I'm using power vision and a map from fuel moto to suit, topless air box with hi flow filter. I choose this exhaust because it doesnt touch the ground when Corning. Has any 1 compared this 2 exhausts side by side? I only ask I'm looking to fit SE2 cams to the bike and want the best exhaust to suit. I'm worried the Akropovic is a bit restricted even with out the baffle. Bike doesnt seem to pull as hard as it did with a vance and hines 2into1 no baffle. Any thoughts?
Itspablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itspablo View Post
I've recently fitted a Akropovic 2into1 to my 2012 nrs. I'm using power vision and a map from fuel moto to suit, topless air box with hi flow filter. I choose this exhaust because it doesnt touch the ground when Corning. Has any 1 compared this 2 exhausts side by side? I only ask I'm looking to fit SE2 cams to the bike and want the best exhaust to suit. I'm worried the Akropovic is a bit restricted even with out the baffle. Bike doesnt seem to pull as hard as it did with a vance and hines 2into1 no baffle. Any thoughts?
Did you actually tune it to the pipe? Just using the supplied cal won't give the best results. Not even close.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Itspablo
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Quote:
Did you actually tune it to the pipe? Just using the supplied cal won't give the best results. Not even close.
Ron
No have not tuned it to the pipe yet just using the supplied map. Is it worth using auto tune or target tune? Or just bite the bullet and get it dynod?
Itspablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
No have not tuned it to the pipe yet just using the supplied map. Is it worth using auto tune or target tune? Or just bite the bullet and get it dynod?
Using the basic autotune will get you closer but no supstitute for a good full dyno tune. By good, I don't mean some hack pretending to be a tuner and just goes for the WFO numbers, which is actually the easiest part to do. It's all the in between rpms from idle to wfo that need the most attention. Something to be aware of. Try the basic autotune first as it might give you improvement from just the basic cal. Nothing to lose as if it turns to shit, you still have the base cal to throw back in. I suspect it will improve quite a bit.
Ron
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Your initial reaction is correct. the Akropovic is restricted. Just look at their website the Hp and Tq gains are minimal. The V&H Comp pipe is just that - a stepped competition pipe that sounds like it. LOUD - Better for built engines. As Ron said - any pipe needs a proper tune but S/E cams need a pipe that can pass the high Rpm exhaust efficiently, and not restrict it.
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
Your initial reaction is correct. the Akropovic is restricted. Just look at their website the Hp and Tq gains are minimal. The V&H Comp pipe is just that - a stepped competition pipe that sounds like it. LOUD - Better for built engines. As Ron said - any pipe needs a proper tune but S/E cams need a pipe that can pass the high Rpm exhaust efficiently, and not restrict it.
Yup, the SE2 will squeeze the most out with intake and exhaust mods. A no baffle pipe is the worst of all of them .While the V&H is likely a good performer it deserves a medal for piss poor design between the lack of leg clearance and dragging on the ground. Annoyingly loud too, right under your right ear. I test rode a bike with one on it at the dealer. Only took me 1/2 hour to mumble fk that. I suppose the Akro where the muffler is , probably and ear ringer also. So far, I've not been persuaded to move from the stock 2-1-2 with the supertraps. That 32d volume mid section is a good performer for stock. The weight of the system, well that blows for sure. One of the best performing exhausts, no longer sold was the V&H 2-1 . A pipe doesn't need to be ear splitting to perform. Yup, had my eye on the Akro but the fear of it pissing me off from the noise under my right ear, even though I wear ear plugs, the drone can't be taken out and the recent threads about it, I'm still on the hunt for a better exhaust. Loud was fun in the 70s. I still like to hear he exhaust but to a limit I can stand all day.
Ron
Old 10-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

When V&H called it a Competition Pipe they really were not kidding. I believe it was really designed for a V Rod drag bike where the riders legs go aft and you want high Rpm stepped header pipes and a short low restriction muffler - who cares how loud it is ? You're only going to ride it for 10 seconds at a time kind of design mentality. Put it on a low street bike and it's Loud, Hot and Scrapes, unless it's an R Model with ground clearance then it's just Loud & Hot. I got probably 75 man hours fitting a Bub 7 to my R, putting in SS Wool and grafting on 4" BMW car resonator to get the noise away from the right ear. No easy exhaust answers for V Rods. The Comp pipe with a double length of their muffler welded on would be great, I even asked them to make one but they said NO. The Bassani B1 pipe is probably the best out of the box pipe for a modified N/A fwd. controls V Rod I.M.H.O. It's got stepped head pipes, nice long muffler, great sound, heat shields, comes in Black, reasonable priced. That would be my choice.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
RONVROD
My Last Ride

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The V&H Comp pipe will make horsepower with a good tuneup. However, you should wear ear protection. Heat radiation is only a problem when I ride in the city in summer heat. When you straddle 100+ horsepower then you should expect to feel some heat.

As for the Draggin' Pipe, I cut the megaphone off and reattached it so that the bottom is parallel to the lower frame tubes. It has scraped one time since making the mod and I had no business being laid over that far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Side View.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	534565  
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

More R Pipe Dreams !

Looking good Ronvrod ! I like that pipe lifted up. I've thought of buying a used one for the head pipes and grafting on another longer muffler - my Bub7 with the BMW resonator stops just before the shock, and although its still pretty loud it's way behind my right ear which is already in bad enough shape. For my R I even spoke to Bassani about using their early head pipes that exit lower below the R foot peg bracket and installing a B1 muffler from there on back - they said it would work and they would sell me the parts separate for the same price as the assembly. Great folks. I still might do that pipe or the V&H headpipes with a longer B1 style muffler but the V&H would need a 2.5" reducer welded on after the collector to mount the muffler, just a little fab work. BTW I saw a NRS with only one O2 sensor installed in the aft pipe, no O2 sensor in the fwd pipe you ever hear of that ?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #10
RONVROD
My Last Ride

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
streetrodracer,

Thank you for the compliment. It's finally the motorcycle that I wanted when I bought it four years ago. I think they call that 'Making It Your Own'. It had damn sure better be my own because I have paid for it twice

RONVROD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0892.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	534637  
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
Lawnmower
Registered Full

I agree with the bassani road rage 11. Comes with free flowing baffle insert which is loud and a little bit raspy. I swapped to a smaller diameter baffle from bassani with good quality fibre packing to absorb the noise and it sounds a lot better. With a good tune goes well. You will scrap if a full lean two up on bumpy corners but only on a Allen head bolt from one the brackets on the lowest pipe that connects to the 2 to 1 not the exhaust piping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191023_103232_1573178958157.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	534711  
Lawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #12
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Damn that's a good lookin' pipe Lawnmower ! Where's the head pipe heat shields ? Did they make them for that pipe ? Also you can buy carbon fiber heat shields - that would look GREAT !
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 AM   #13
Lawnmower
Registered Full

The heat shields are on there. No carbon fibre all chrome plated steel.
Lawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement