Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

WARNING!!! Failure Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008

64K views 69 replies 51 participants last post by  Cwinne22 
#1 ·
WARNING!!! Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008

I will tell you something can be very useful about your safety.
Some day ago, going back home, I braked with the rear brake, nothing, it did not work, I pushed more times, nothing, the bike did not stop, the rear brake was not working.
At the last minute I used the front brake, I was going very slowly and at few centimeters form my automatic gate, ok I stopped the bike.The sensation was terrible, really scaring.

In some situation I use more the rear brake, in the traffic etc.

This is what's happened:
I checked the bike, the rear brake, and I found out the oil coming out from the start of the oil pipe, exactly at the start of the rear brake oil pump.
The assistance come and with surprise they found out the problem.
The oil pipe (it is metal made), from the start of the oil pump, was touching the exhaust manifold, the heat fused the pipe, and after 1000 Km the oil came out.
Check that the rear brake oil pipe does not touch the exhaust manifold

The bike is a VRSCDXA Nightrod Special 2008, it has 1.000 Km, it seems that the 2008 models have this problem.
Take care and go to your dealer for checking that there is no contact with the rear brake oil pipe!
Contact me for any question.

Attachments

See less See more
#54 ·
Don't rely on a rear brake on any bike, period. 75% or more of your braking power is in the front brakes. Rely on these.
The rear brake is useful for negotiating a slope at low speed on a dirt road where you don't want to risk skidding the front tire and crashing, and to set the chassis attitude for a fast corner (trail braking) but no rear brake has any stopping power.

#5 ·
Thanks for posting! and Welcome to the forum!!!

#7 ·
Welcome to the Forums!!!!

Cool that you are from Cantania.

My girlfriends family is from Syracusa and I have a few friends that live in Messina but like to hang out in Cantania.

#9 ·
Wow mine was very close, but not touching. However I have the header off a couple of times and I'm wondering if I accidentally fixed it.

#10 ·
mikep said:
Welcome to the Forums!!!!
Cool that you are from Cantania.
My girlfriends family is from Syracusa and I have a few friends that live in Messina but like to hang out in Cantania.
Thanks for the welcome, very nice you have these connections with Sicily.
When you happen here, for hanging out in Catania, just email me.

#17 ·
Nomad, :vrodforu: and welcome to the dark side. Thanks for the head up. My DX has almost 3,000 miles on it with no hint of trouble but I will look at the master cylinder and check the hose.

#20 ·

Attachments

#21 ·
TheNomad said:
The problem was solved by the dealer, excellent assistance.
The new oil line from H-D is different, check the 1,2 and 3 attached picture.
So is this something official the dealer would offer, or did your particular dealer make you a custom oil line?

#22 ·
Not to get off topic to much but I noticed you said you used the rear brake only and when nothing happened you used the front brake. You should be using both. Also 70% of braking is provided by the front brake. Just concerned about your safety.

#25 ·
The same thing happened to my brothers Night Rod Special. He actually found it when looking to see if there was any adjustability on the break lever for me before I purchased mine. His was touching so it ended up in the shop for about 8 days to be fixed. That said that was one of the first things I inspected before I even rolled my out of the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.