Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

WARNING!!! Failure Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008

64K views 69 replies 51 participants last post by  Cwinne22 
#1 ·
WARNING!!! Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008

I will tell you something can be very useful about your safety.
Some day ago, going back home, I braked with the rear brake, nothing, it did not work, I pushed more times, nothing, the bike did not stop, the rear brake was not working.
At the last minute I used the front brake, I was going very slowly and at few centimeters form my automatic gate, ok I stopped the bike.The sensation was terrible, really scaring.

In some situation I use more the rear brake, in the traffic etc.

This is what's happened:
I checked the bike, the rear brake, and I found out the oil coming out from the start of the oil pipe, exactly at the start of the rear brake oil pump.
The assistance come and with surprise they found out the problem.
The oil pipe (it is metal made), from the start of the oil pump, was touching the exhaust manifold, the heat fused the pipe, and after 1000 Km the oil came out.
Check that the rear brake oil pipe does not touch the exhaust manifold

The bike is a VRSCDXA Nightrod Special 2008, it has 1.000 Km, it seems that the 2008 models have this problem.
Take care and go to your dealer for checking that there is no contact with the rear brake oil pipe!
Contact me for any question.

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
I also put a reflective heat wrap around my switch as well. It is unbelievable that everyone that I've spoke with at HD has done nothing about this and worse - they don't seem to care about this serious problem.........looks like it will take a serious incident before they take start to care.

#55 ·
I ride the piss out of my bike, rear brakes are approximately 33% of your stopping power, I need every bit of my stopping power when some dip shit on a cell phone cuts me off. I use both brakes 90% of the time. If you take basic and advanced MSF courses you will realise how important it is to use both.

#58 ·
The point here, Pilthy, is not how to use your front brake the point is HD needs to design a braking system that works. To put the brake light switch 1/2" from the exhaust is bad engineering. HD knows this as the new Vrods have been redesigned, they have just chosen not to support those of us who purchased their bad design. Some unfortunate rider and his fortunate attroney might help set them straight.

#60 ·
bassman - Have you contacted HD about your issues. I'm thinking about getting a class action going aginst them - what they are doing is wrong and it is serious. I hope someone at HD with authority looks into this issue. If not anyone interested in possibly participating in a class action against HD, let me know your thoughts.

#61 ·
HD is a big company with high dollar lawyers. Would i testify, hell yeah. Would I expect to win the lawsuit? I wouldnt hold my breath. Yes I dealt with HD for the first couple years after I bought the bike, I talked to them about all of my problems. I finally gave up and started working on it myself. Even the people that seem to care and know what they are talking about really dont. It'll take a lawsuit before they issue recalls, but with todays economy that lawsuit might just mean no more H-D, you think it is hard to find parts now??

#62 ·
This rear brake failure happened to my Rod last year. I had it fixed at a friends shop. Not Harley dealer. Since then, Harley has thousands of bikes that will be recalled because of this stupid design flaw. They have not recalled yet, still tooling a new design. Dumb ass design to begin with. Just put that little rubber and brass brake fluid dealy on this exhaust pipe. I use engine brakeing and front brakes, more than rear now.

#65 ·
An alternative to this ongoing problem is to upgrade the system between the rear MC and the caliper. By using a banjo bolt/brake light switch combination at the MC, and then running a stainless steel braided line along the inside of the frame, and up to the caliper, should solve this problem. The line would follow the stock path and use stock mounting clips. Not only is this a cleaner design, but firmer brakes/feel, and less chance of leaks because fluid connection is only at the MC and at the caliper. Check with Sharkey, I belive he can custom make this kit for each bike. Just an option.

#68 ·
Issue also

Gentlemen,
I had a similar issue (2007 VRC NRS). Going back to work, was backing out of the driveway. Had pressure on the back break while drifting back and a plume of smoke rose (on my way home I could tell my back break was acting up, not as much pressure as usual). When I inspected the issue, there is only what I can describe as a cylinder with 2 little leads coming out of it (maybe for the break light?) a little further down the line but near the exhaust. When I applied pressure a bit of break fluid would drip out on the exhaust causing the smoke. I am currently deployed and about to return, the bike is in the shop as we speak. Harley said they couldn't find any issues with it...Someone here told me it may be a factory recall? Any help finding out if it is? Thank you all for your support.

-SFC B

#69 ·
Had same issue when I got my 2008. The banjo fitting when it was installed at the factory rolled up and was just a fraction away from the exhaust. I took it to the local dealer and they replaced the line all the way back to the break light switch. I caught it before it burnt thru.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.