K&N RX-4010 & Breather Bypass - Removing Stock Breather? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
K&N RX-4010 & Breather Bypass - Removing Stock Breather?

So I'm getting ready to install these Air Cleaners and a breather bypass.

Question is - how to you removed the OEM Breather "Stack" from inside the lower airbox? It shows in the parts book as part of the unit. Service manual doesn't mention it at all. Appears to be no fasteners UNDER the lower airbox cover, and no "snap clips" to detach it with.

Do you just BREAK THE SUCKER OFF (point of no return)?

Also forgot (duh) that I put 58mm throttle body on, and the RX-4010 opening is for a 53mm. Temporary solution is to put the short 53mm stacks (that came with the SEII cams) on and either - (a) order a set of billet 58mm stacks - or - (b) sand/polish my "shorty stacks" bottoms to "fade" into the 58mm opening - or - (c) return the RX-4010 and find out which K&N's fit the stock (came with destroyer throttle body) 58mm stacks.

Any way you slice it, I'm venting the breathers to the ground (3/8 t- connector & 4' of 3/8 breather hose), but I still have to "lose" the OEM Breather Tower.

How'd y'all deal with it - since the cone air cleaners won't go on with it installed? Tell me QUICK (LOL) cause I take a hammer to it in about 1/2 hour...

Rick

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c
SickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
ElrodontheV-Rod
durata membro

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I believe you will the stock height staggered stacks bored to fit perform best with the cam kit on the street.
Have you seen these?http://dohertymachine.com/product_in...7252eb1a01beb0
ElrodontheV-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

SURVEY SAYS!!!

Dremel Tool.

Just when you thought all those tools "I may only use once" were a waste of $$ (actually, I use my roto all the time).

Step 1 - Cut the Tower off. Top comes off with tabs (that I could see in the sunlight - damn these old eyes), cut around the bottom and make all nice and smooth. Wash it all off to get all the collected oil (Dawn - takes grease outta yer way)

Step 2 - 3/8 plastic T-Connector, clamp type hose clamps, along with a 4' length of 9/32 vacuum hose. Hose run down with coolant overflow (we don't need no stinkin' trees).

Step 3 - Mount filters, put horn compressor back in and button it up.

Used the shortie 53mm stacks that came with the SEii cams for now, just to get it going. Will look for other velocity stack options over the weekend.

Off to the showers and take a ride...

Rick

Rolling: Penske 8983NR/TD AK-20 Dual-Lyndall Rotors/Red+-Brembo P4/34 Calipers-BST CF's-Ceramic Brngs-Conti RA's- Microline Hydraulics

Looks: Polished SS Bolts-Rizoma Rearset/Pegs-Trucklite/LEDMirrors-LED Tail-BlueLED Gages-PVD Black Fork Tubes-Woodcraft Clip-Ons-NMC Windshield(s)-Cluster Relo- Valentine-1 - Blinder 905c

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
jon1zc
Life is great!

Garage
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
You also might wanna look at this slick piece of engineering https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138684

Enjoy it while you can.. If you are not, then do something about it!

too many mods to list on my 02A
jon1zc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
SickRick
Lifetime Premium

Pretty, no doubt - but the airbox bottom is home to a lot of stuff (possibly the Boss Noss 50 shot next), and losing the bottom is not conducive to where I'm going. This thing takes up more real estate than the stock cleaner...

Thanks for the heads up though. I had seen this and took a pass on it for those reasons.

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement