Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Runs rough some of the time again

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  stever975 
#1 ·
Okay had a thread on here about this before but its archived. Bike runs rough at idle and bogs down on take off or trys to stall at light it dose not do it all the time. Checked fuel pressure changed plugs replace a leaking breather hose on rear that was spewing oil on rear coil thought that was it but it wasent started up again and coil is clean and dry. No codes nothing grounds all tight bike is charging okay. removed the PC III and still have problem so it was not the problem the IAC funtions okay. I need help this is driving me crazy Had to park the sucker for awhile due to a injury but want to ride now and not have to hold gas while at a light. Bike runs good while giving it to her. If a coil was bad should get a code. Heck the way it sputters should get a damn code. This problem comes and goes but has gotten worse. Anyone else have a problem close to this?

#2 ·
I had the same problem on my 02, eventually the iac code came up, But! that was just the beginning. the oil light started to stay on longer. the list goes on. So I too unpluged the pcIII but the bottom line was my ecu went. so i got rid of the pcIII and went with the hd mstr tuner. no more bogging down or having to hold throttle at lights.

#4 ·
The PCIII is probably your culprit along with your IAC motor being dirty... Have you cleaned it and still have the same issues? I would also purchase the fuel additive that AMSOIL has for fuel injection that will clean out your injectors... You can contact 02man98 (Ken) bout getting the additive, he's a AMSOIL dealer...

I've run the additive in all my bikes once a season and never have injector issues... That's my 2 cents :)... Keep us posted on how things go...

#5 ·
Running rough

I was experiencing very similar issues, turns out TPS had a couple of "flat spots", when I got to replacing the Throttle Position Sensor I decided to check my IAC (I was already there) and it was filthy.
Cleaned up the IAC, replaced the TPS and bike ran like a raped ape after that.
Hopefully this helps a bit, good luck.
JC

#6 ·
Pc iii

Bike still runs rough with PC unhooked so the problem is some where else gonna tear it apart this weekend and clean the valve and check the TPS on a multi meter. You would thinnk it would throw a code.

#8 ·
... gonna tear it apart this weekend and clean the valve and check the TPS on a multi meter. You would thinnk it would throw a code.
The manual says to check the TPS by measuring the variable voltage signal on Pin C relative to ground on Pin A. This requires some way to make connections with the TPS plugged in (the book mentions a special breakout box: HD-43876) and to make the measurements with the ignition on.

I made up my own jumper connectors and measured 0.8 volts with the throttle closed (the book says this should be from 0.2 to 0.8 volts) and 4.5 volts with the throttle open (the book says this should be 4.0 to 4.9 volts).

If you check resistances with the TPS unplugged you'll notice this isn't a simple variable resistor. (The design's a little complicated and would bore most people.)

Codes will be thrown (P0122) if the TPS voltage is low (< 0.2 V, usually means the TPS is disconnected or shorted to ground) or (P0123) if the voltage is high (> 4.9 V, usually means the signal is shorted to 5 V or the ground on Pin A is open). If the voltage is between 0.2 and 4.9 V there won't be a DTC set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.