Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

ripping apart my vrod to paint the frame? Technical ?

659 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  usanigel 
#1 ·
Hello guys. Looking for a little guidance here. First off I am an automotive mechanic and Autobody tech/painter. 09VROD is my first Harley. I want to custom paint the frame and possibly the swing arm but am nervous about tearing the bike down that far. My understanding is the engine is pretty much sitting on the floor to do this. The few major concerns I have are: Removing the forks, removing the swing arm (tire and belt adjustment afterwards, and of course the actual engine issues.

I have had pretty much every painted piece off the bike for some custom color and airbush work and it looked so good I just have to paint the frame something other then black or silver.... I also am going to build a custom front and rear fender, maybe some Airbox cover mods.

My plan was to buy the manual and go to town. I have done this with old and new cars and trucks with out hesitation but for some reason feel intimidated by this two wheel hog in my shed. Like I said anything is possible following directions hahaha.
Any one offer some insight. Or have done this before? I am thinking I could have it apart in about a day... Back together proabably a little longer lol Of course the paint work will take time and I would hate for the memory of disassembly to leave my mind during this time.

Thanks guys. I plan to post current pics when I get home

See less See more
#2 ·
you shouldn`t have any problem with your experience and a shop manual,, one possible exception, adjusting steering head bearings isn`t quite as black and white as the shop manual makes it appear,, you might get somebody who has experience with the job... an improperly adjusted steering head can cause some severe handling problems..good luck

#3 ·
Thanks IBrown. I read a little bit about that already and my contingincy plan was to do the work (with a manual) then if I am not confident that I did it 100% taking it on my trailer to the Harley shop to give it a once over. Mostly the handle bars and belt tension I was concerned about.... Not so much the belt.

I am regretting storing it elsewhere now. I had another project for this winter that I am on hold with (69 Blazer) and I would start on the VROD.... It would be alot of shoveling to get it through the snow and I would have to trailer it to the garage lol....

#4 ·
I tag and bag all the parts as they come off so I can find the nuts and bolts when it'stime to go back together. Oil lines at the front of the block can be a little tricky, I just use a small oick and pull the retaining rings off. See my thread in the VRSCX section titled Project x starts

#5 ·
Digital camera with big memory stick. Take a picture before you remove something. High def pictures can be zoomed in to show details you need to see. . Bag the parts as you go and label them.

Get an idea of color BEFORE you take it apart!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.