Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

loss of power, misfiring, P1353 Not coil

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Benw3 
#1 ·
hello all,
bike had a sudden loss of power the other day as i was riding to work. got about a mile down the road when i had a sudden loss of power, jerking and feeling of firing on one cylinder and smell of fuel.

I checked the code and it threw P1353. No ignition to front cylinder. So i removed the coils and checked the plugs. the rear cylinder seems ok but the front was oily. I cleaned the plug and put it back and then also swapped the coil packs over to see if it was them.

Fired her up and seemd fine. Took her for a ride around the block and had no issues so i figured it was just one of those things.

Thismorning fired her up and a mile down the road i had the same symptoms so limped her home. Checked the code and it has thrown P1353 again so i am guessing it isnt a faulty coil pack and must have something to do with the spark plug.

I am running NGK Iridium plugs and they only have about 500 miles on them. I just ordered some stock plugs and will see if that fixes the problem. My question though, is what would cause the front plug to look like this? Has the plug failed or is this the result of something more sinister?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That plug is fouled from lack of electricity to it.
If you swapped the coils and the code came back for the same cylinder,then this sorta eliminates the coil.
Lately I have removed those plugs from car engines that had problems and went back w what the factory suggests fixing dead cylinder problems.

#4 ·
Doesn't make much sense to check spark plug running condition when there's no combustion. Also the photo quality is poor. Nothing to be worried about right now.
Sounds as if the ignition fails when engine gets warm, likely a foul sparkplug or maybe vapour inside the rubber boot that connects the plug with the coil pack.

#7 · (Edited)
thanks for the advice fellas. i'll put in some stock plugs tonight, stretch the spring in the boots and retest. Thanks again.

UPDATE:

Turned out to just be a failed spark plug. what are the odds eh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.