Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Battery? Electrical?

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Tbones 
#1 ·
New Years Eve my battery was dead. Finally swapped it out and it was due anyway seeing as it's the original battery from 2003.

Fast forward a few weeks.
I had taken my gauge cluster off to send it off for it's faceplate update. During that week while I couldn't ride, I decided to fire the bike up b/c we had a really cold (for Dallas) week. Bike fired right up..no issues at all.

I got my gauge cluster back today, installed it, keyed the bike on..click click click but wouldn't turn over.

I'm thinking it's a fuse at this point but not sure. All I know is 5 days ago, with the gauges disconnected it worked just fine. So I remove the gauges just to eliminate that...nope..still won't turn over.

Onto the battery tender it goes..

Two hours later, the bike turns over.
Brand new battery. In the few years I have had this bike and lived in Reno where we got tons of snow, I have NEVER had it on a tender.
Could it be that all it needed was a shot of battery tender? It's a brand new damn battery.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Melissa!
Yep. Batteries are kinda fickle. I got 5 years out of my R battery, and it just upped and died. My policy (refined over 30 years....) is to just get a new one every other year, and always use a tender. If your tender had a red light showing, you needed a charge. Once it is all charged up, it should do fine. These are tiny batteries - keep it on a tender!! I have 3 going right now - my 2 and Ann's. Joe

#3 ·
Melissa, I'm with Joe on this. As soon as I park a bike that I've been riding it goes on a tender. They are all on tenders right now.

When I bought my first V-Rod it was very early spring. I rode it home and we got a late snow. 2 weeks later on a brand new bike, after sitting a mere 2 weeks, I went to start it and the battery was dead.

If you have security it slowly draws these little batteries down in no time.

#4 ·
Agreed, keep it on the tender.

Also, the bikes don't charge unless they're being ridden, so not having it on a tender and starting it just drained the battery. I've had to replace my battery three times so far.

Lessons learned.

#6 ·
It fired up this morning.

I just think it's odd that until this time, and with a battery that was 5, 6, 7 years old, I never put it on a tender and never had a problem.

Now, I have a brand new battery and all of a sudden I need to use one.
Doesn't make sense to me. But oh well...it's running.

I will re-connect the gauge cluster and make sure it fires again.

#7 ·
Hey if you've got the tender you might as well use it. Are the terminal connections tight?

Just click the starter button to see if it engages. Don't start it unless you have to. This in itself is hard on the motor.

Most importantly, make sure you don't chip one of those nails installing your gauge cluster.

#8 ·
larger battery

HI! ALL I put the EXL20L SEALED DECA battery that BOHANNA battery co sells for around $75.00 shipped. It is 1/3 larger and has 300 cca instead of 210cca OEM EXT16L size. There are several threads about the install and UNLIMITED ENGINEERING co has a lot of info about the larger battery install. a SEARCH here will turn up a lot of info also. PATM is right on... Of course the battery tender will work wonders improving the life of a charge. BIGGER is better. curley

#9 ·
My original battery (installed 10/06 I assume) just started acting unfriendly. After being out of town for three months it just barely was unable start the bike. It's never seen a battery tender. I jumped it off, rode for an hour and it's been fine ever since.

I'll spout off at the mouth and say if you ride every week minimum then I don't think the tender is worth the trouble. I've been wrong many, many times before though.

But I will say that as long as most of us are having these OEM batteries last that I'll definitely go back with an original battery when I need one.

#13 ·
What? Listen....I like to be a "secret agent"...that way, the guys don't know I am hitting on their wives...just sayin'.

#15 ·
LOL...well..gauge cluster is back on..bike is starting right up now.
I'm annoyed that I need to keep it on the tender but I will for the time being.

#24 ·
Keep in mind that just because it's a "new" battery doesn't mean its a "good" battery... Batteries can be defective right off the shelf... It's always best to take a new battery and put it on a 2 amp charger and ensure it is fully charged before installing it into your bike...

#17 ·
Starrzzz. Its possible the battery was partially discharged when you bought it. It could have been sitting on the shelf in a warehouse for months and was weak. A few hours riding and it should be OK or put it on a tender overnight.

A V-Rod with a security system will discharge one in about 2 weeks if it is activated.

#18 ·
I always use a tender, and my original battery lasted me through 5 New England winters.
(With no heated garage.)

#20 ·
OMG LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..........

Ok Pat...you just became one of my guys along with Jedi, Lux, mdwhand and FusionGrind...you're in 'da club!

#23 ·
My VROD is like no other motorcycle when it comes to the battery holding a charge.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/6-volt/PSC-12500A(DSR).html

I use a Schumacher Smart Battery Charger to test all of my batteries. (11)
DSR-12500A

Even the Ducati will hold a charge all winter but the VROD needs to be kept at a full charge or it will reduce the battery life. The constant drain by design will take the battery down in just a few weeks. It is like an 80's era car with a a computer that uses TTL logic. If you don't drive it then in 21 days the battery will discharge below 50%. In the winter if the charge is low and it freezes it is toast. In addition the number of recharge cycles also reduces the life.

Piss poor design!

#25 ·
many times (especially true during the winter months) moto batteries have been sitting on the shelves and are NOT fully charged before delivered to customers. If you get it fully charged and the no start thing surfaces again, you should give your charging system a once over.

#26 ·
I have a 2 year old sportster battery in my bike (shop sent me wrong battery,long story)
my bike sits in unheated garage and the temps have been down to -12C,bike sat for 3 weeks at one point due to snow and ice and has immobiliser fitted.bike starts first push of the button every time?

#29 ·
u know u wouldnt need the tender, if u would just stop turning on ur ignition an staring at ur new cluster lights for an hour or more ,haha

,and should i be worried bout my wife in june,no actually can u take her shopping so i can be a dumb ass with the boys ,u can take her on your bike and tell her to hang on tight for safty sake ,lmao

#30 ·
u know u wouldnt need the tender, if u would just stop turning on ur ignition an staring at ur new cluster lights for an hour or more ,haha

,and should i be worried bout my wife in june,no actually can u take her shopping so i can be a dumb ass with the boys ,u can take her on your bike and tell her to hang on tight for safety sake, lmao
......and make sure the wife brings her camera. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.