Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Rough Idling

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  rjrivero 
#1 ·
My 2005 Vrod has developed three distinct patterns over the last 8 months the worst of which is that it idles very roughly, like it's cutting out sporadically. The other two are that it is dying when I let off of the gas about 50% of the time, and the third is that the amber engine light stays of and goes off at varying intervals. Any input would be really appreciated. I've attached a .wma sound file of it idling.

Attachments

#2 ·
The first thing you need to do is read your DTCs as explained in this post. You should also clear the codes (this is also explained in the link above), run the engine, and then read the codes again to see which ones return. Those are your "current" active trouble codes.

Report back with the list of your "current" active DTCs and maybe someone can help you with your problem.

#4 ·
:them: and it sounds like it's only firing on one cylinder, so it could be a fouled plug

#8 ·
FYI. The numbers after PN are part numbers for the ECM, TSM, Instrument module in case you ever need to replace them.
The only DTC you have is the P0505 which says "Loss of Idle speed control.
Like Al said check your IAC for being gummed up and clean it up real well.

#9 ·
FYI. The numbers after PN are part numbers for the ECM, TSM, Instrument module in case you ever need to replace them.
The only DTC you have is the P0505 which says "Loss of Idle speed control.
Like Al said check your IAC for being gummed up and clean it up real well.
Loss of Idle control can either be a gummed up IAC, as these guys suggest, or the throttle being partially open on startup.

If you have changed the grips, or had the hand controls off for any reason, you should first check to make sure the butterflies close completely (by visual inspection). Take off enough of the air box to see the butterflies, and manually push the throttle bodies closed. If they move, then start tracing back the mechanism of the throttle body, to the cables, to the throttle and find out where it's binding. Make sure the throttle screw is backed off so it doesn't hold it open.

The most common place would be the grip and right hand throttle being pushed too far onto the handlebar and actually binding the grip on the end of the bar, and next would be a cable that jumped out of the guide/stop. The third most common, would be the bend from the bar to the triple tree being too sharp and binding the throttle cable.

#14 ·
Well,in this case there is a code to follow for a direction of repair.The easy stuff would be a visual,as RJ suggested.
Also,a routine inspection and cleaning under the hood is necessary on this engine because of the crankcase vents blowing up in the air box.

Codes don't always point to the component named.A code will typically put you into a direction of the system that is malfunctioning.For instance,I had one the other day on a Chevy that had a map sensor code.It turned out to be a carbonized throttle body clogging the vacuum supply.The mapp sensor was fine.

#20 ·
I don't have a cabin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.