Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Front Brake shudders

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  harleynurse 
#1 ·
When applying the front brake, the bike seems to shudder and wants to lose control. The pads look fine. How do you check to see if the rotors are warped? Any Help?

#10 ·
I have found countless times that "warped" discs aren't. Sand the heck out of them with a good aggressive paper and you will probably find that brake application will smooth right out. Most of the time it has to do with deposits on/in the metal instead of actual warping.
:them: I replaced my warped rear, but it was warped from physical damage.

#4 ·
Welcome!
If you have a bike jack, raise the front wheel off from the ground. Turn the steering to the left or right stop. Place a fixed pointer near the side of the suspected rotor, and spin the wheel. Look for variations in the distance between the pointer and rotor.

#5 ·
I have found countless times that "warped" discs aren't. Sand the heck out of them with a good aggressive paper and you will probably find that brake application will smooth right out. Most of the time it has to do with deposits on/in the metal instead of actual warping.

#7 ·
When my 06 acted like this, it turned out to be the neck bearings. It appeared as they were never packed at all, they just came apart. New bearings solved my front end problem.

#14 ·
yes bent, but couldn't tell until it was lying on the table. Made a lovely annoying woosh sound

#18 ·
My rear rotor has been wooshing for a year now. Guess I better take a peak....when I get time. I better get time soon,because the DOT brake fluid is leaking from under ...again,dammit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.