Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

top mechanic

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  V-Rod I FL 
#1 ·
Looking for poll of our site's top pic for a V-Rod mechanic in the Baltimore/Washington area? Or it can be within 2 or so hours drive time.

Likely needs to be a dealer but please give a name of the mechanic...misc warranty items within the extending warranty, any upgrades, bulletins etc.

The "factory trained" label insures nothing.

#2 ·
Get a manual and do thework yourself.

You can check out 46 how to videos in my Sig.

Good Luck on finding a mechanic.

#3 ·
I would if I could...no time or no space and how do I generate coverage for warranty items?

#5 ·
#9 ·
Looking for poll of our site's top pic for a V-Rod mechanic in the Baltimore/Washington area? Or it can be within 2 or so hours drive time. ...
I can't help much with your poll because I haven't met a mechanic in this area that I would allow access to my bike (or cars for that matter). The only time I've had the local dealer (Battley HD) touch my bike was for the initial 500 mile service (when I got the bike home I had to drain more than 1½ quarts of oil because it was overfilled). I'm not saying that Battley is "bad" but it isn't worth my time and frustration for someone less skilled than me to mess with my bike. Especially when I'll likely have to undo what they did when I get the bike home.

Maybe someone else around here has had better luck with this or another dealer.

Concerning working on your bike; I'd be willing to help you with any work you wanted to do but I'm not set up as a professional mechanic and I work fairly long hours for my "day" job so I'm only available weekends.

#10 ·
Dave (sorry don't know his last name) @ Baltimore HD is pretty good with the Vrods. Thay have never done me wrong there, other than being expensive. ( just like any other dealer)
He races V's a bit and he is a fan of the R so he gets my vote.
Frederick HD does pretty good as well,dyno tuned my bike. They race V's as well.
That being said, get the manual and learn about your ride. Regular maint is not as tough as you might think. I only go to the dealer now when I have to.
Charm City Choppers in Dundalk gets a nod as well. The owner is a straight shooter.

#17 ·
The guys name at Baltimore Harley is David Pressley. He has been wrenching and racing for over 30 years and knows his stuff. he used to race the dealership V-Rod and then their Destroyer until budget cuts and hard times hit everyone.

I haven't talked with Dave in awhile but I would think he still is wrenching.

ALSO please consider Chesapeke Harley--Mike Nobile from Baltimore Harley is there as General Manager and part owner. His crew knows tuning, wrenching and racing very well too. They "campaigned 2 V-Rod Destroyers and a Top Fuel bike.

The second shop I would highly recommend up your way is Zippers. They also race or raced thier stuff and do know the V-Rod moter stock or modified very, very well.

If you want to travel a little bit then take the V-Rod up to Rich Vreelands place in PA. Rich is a member here and he and his brother also "live" V-Rods, Destroyers tuning engine mods--etc.

I hope all of this helps you in your decision.

Regards

Jerry

#11 ·
The thing is he has the EX warranty.
Keep in mind while you are looking for a mechanic that the warranty is valid at any authorized motorcycle repair shop.So if you found a good mechanic in an indy shop,they can get your warranty coverage for you.
As far as knowing what is covered,the shop will make a list and present it to the warranty company.This is when you will know what is covered.List as many complaints as you have for one visit because you have a $50 deductible per visit,not per repair.

#12 ·
HUH? An independent mechanic or shop can not perform warranty work, the MOCO won't deal with Independents, that takes away work from their dealers... Unless somethings changed that I'm not aware of... I don't have a direct line to the MOCO for replacement parts and the paperwork needed to file with the MOCO for reimbursement of my labor charges... Am I missing something here?

#15 ·
i have had good experiences with Ft. Washington HD, which is in the area but a long ways from you. My main issue with them is how long they take sometimes, it's not a big dealership, but that's not uncommon either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.