Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Fuel Line Damage - WARNING

100K views 206 replies 130 participants last post by  SmokeyGold04 
#1 ·
I'm passing on this info. to make others aware of a potential serious failure mode. It only takes about 5 minutes to investigate and could save your a$$.

I smelled raw gas on Friday morning just after I got off the freeway on my way to work. I assumed it was from the old beater pickup in front of me at the light... didn't give it a second thought. Went to go for a spin at lunch, put her into neutral, turned on the key, and my left leg got soaked with gas. Upon further inspection I found that the high-pressure fuel line (approx 60 psi) had worn through due to abrasion on the connector attached to the frame on top of the rear cylinder, under the fuse block (see photo). It unnerved me a bit; I had a bad visual of my bike going up in flames while I was riding! :eek: Fortunately that didn't happen.

The best part is that I had it fixed that day. Glad I got the extended warranty! I called the dealer, they drove out to my work, picked up my bike, took the bike and me to the service department and replaced the fuel lines immediately. The whole repair took about 30 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised they had the parts in stock. Apparently, HD had them buy a bulk lot of V-rod parts and these fuel lines were included.

The new fuel lines are shaped much nicer, they are low against the cylinder head and there's plenty of room between them and the connector. In the photo, I was pushing them down to get a good view of the damage. FYI, My bike is a 2002, ser. no. ending in 801910, so it's one of the earlier ones. Perhaps they realized this problem and changed the shape of the hoses. BTW, these hoses are about $22.00 ea. Has anyone else had this or similar problem?

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Two more V-Rods have this damage.
My buddy Daryll's '02 ser#1121 w/20k mi has the damage on the line next to the coil mount. Just some light damage on the sheathing, none on fuel line so far. The upper line also had the same type and level of damage.
Mine, on the other hand, has some pretty severe damage. Also an '02 ser#4494 but with 26k mi the line next to the coil mount was almost eaten completely through! The upper line had the sheathing eating completely through, but the line is still good. I'm glad we're all sharing this stuff! I already got some tubing around both, and will fortify it with some auto heater hose this weekend!
EVERYONE CHECK THIS OUT. NOT COOL

#28 ·
Well as most of you know how H-D keeps us up to date, Most of the time. But this one has puzzeled me. This is clearly a Safety Isuue. I have yet to see this, But I am Checking. But here is what puzzles me, And to a Tech. kinda scary. Now don't be alarmed. I will be face to Face with the MOCO on this in less than 2 weeks and will call sooner. Keep an eye on these lines for now. O.K. this is what I know. There have been a few broken front motor mounts, I even changed one myself. We know H-D has changed the front one for the '05s. Why?? Could it be there is a vibration, even with a good motor mount that can have an effect on the lines being so close to the coil pack and frame?? Don't know? But I did look at an '05 today and there is a double sheath on the fuel lines. HMMM???? I'll find out, and post as soon as I can. so just Keep an eye on them. Later Ski.

#29 ·
Thanks to "bikerdave"for passing on the info on his fuel line problem.Its the members that make this forum the outstanding source that it is.
I checked mine as soon as I read the thread,and found significant wear on the inboard line where it rests against the coil bolt.Close to being through the shielding,but not quite,added another layer of shielding.Another item to keep an eye on,should do the job.
Appears to be two different wear points in same general area due to either line length,or routing.My lines lay fairly snug against lower cam cover between upper cam cover and coil bolt.
Bike is 03 with 09/02 build date 9k mi.

#30 ·
No problems,....yet!

Thanks for the heads up tip. I checked mine real close, and found no wear spots. I'll keep my eye on it.
redrazor

#31 ·
Mine was worn completely through the woven cover on the side next to the coil! I have 18k miles on the bike, its an '03, built Aug '02. I put some 3-m doublestick tape between the coil and the fuel line. Thanks for the heads up - everyone should chech their bikes, I fear.

#33 ·
Mine is worn similarly to Danii and the other '02 owners. It appears that this is an issue on the early model bikes. I'll pass the info. on to appropriate people at H-D, and hopefully we'll get a fix back from them ASAP.

The only other thought that occurs to me is that, unless the hose is really badly worn - not to rush into doing a "half-assed" fix. Pulling the hoses out of the way and changing the routing could create a new wear point someplace else. Also - don't protect the hoses with electrical tape, or something that might melt (or catch fire!) Max' idea of using spark-plug loom sounds pretty good. I'm going to wait to hear back from H-D before I do anything radical.

#35 ·
Checked mine and they rest right on the cam cover. No wear at all, but I will put a rubber hose over them.....just in case. Thanks again you all.
Greg

#36 ·
On the advice of a contact I have at H-D, he suggested that everyone who (legitimately) has this problem should call Technical Services.

If you haven't called H-D's customer service number, you should be prepared for a looooong wait. Think 25 minutes or so, or enough time to hear "Born to Wild", "Bad Motorscooter", "Radar Love" etc. enough to be really sick of them. But eventually you will get through - although they helpfully give you the opportunity to give up every three or four minutes.

I wish I could say that my brief conversation with a Technical Services person was fruitful - but it wasn't. According to the woman I spoke with, "they haven't had a problem with that..."

With that said, I would ask that every owner who really has this problem to place a call to the H-D customer service department to report it. If they get enough calls on the subject, and especially within a few days of each other - then at the next "Group Meeting" or whatever they have, they will realize that there is a potentially serious problem out there.

I would advise you NOT to mention that you first heard of this problem at V-Rodforums, or anywhere online for that matter. Tech. Services tend to be wary of "internet hysteria", and so discount any caller mentioning problems they read about online. And lastly, please call ONLY if your bike has this problem. You will need to give them your VIN number, and by checking which production dates are involved may make it easier for them to figure out a cause, and a fix.

#40 ·
vroddrew said:
On the advice of a contact I have at H-D, he suggested that everyone who (legitimately) has this problem should call Technical Services.

If you haven't called H-D's customer service number, you should be prepared for a looooong wait. Think 25 minutes or so, or enough time to hear "Born to Wild", "Bad Motorscooter", "Radar Love" etc. enough to be really sick of them. But eventually you will get through - although they helpfully give you the opportunity to give up every three or four minutes.

I wish I could say that my brief conversation with a Technical Services person was fruitful - but it wasn't. According to the woman I spoke with, "they haven't had a problem with that..."

With that said, I would ask that every owner who really has this problem to place a call to the H-D customer service department to report it. If they get enough calls on the subject, and especially within a few days of each other - then at the next "Group Meeting" or whatever they have, they will realize that there is a potentially serious problem out there.

I would advise you NOT to mention that you first heard of this problem at V-Rodforums, or anywhere online for that matter. Tech. Services tend to be wary of "internet hysteria", and so discount any caller mentioning problems they read about online. And lastly, please call ONLY if your bike has this problem. You will need to give them your VIN number, and by checking which production dates are involved may make it easier for them to figure out a cause, and a fix.
They never heard about the klunk either. :confused:

#41 ·
I had mine replaced last week. More wear than some, not as much as others. The dealer tried to get the lines covered under extended warraty. They won't cover "hoses". Since I had them also replace the rear valve cover gasket (was covered under warranty), the dealer did not charge me anything for labor and replaced my rear crankcase ventilator hose. Out the door for under $100. I am looking to add some more protection. Do we have a concenus on the best way to cover the fuel lines to prevent this wear again??

#43 ·
Bruce said:
Do we have a concenus on the best way to cover the fuel lines to prevent this wear again??
The fact that it only affects some bikes, and specifically seems to be limited to 2002 and early 2003 models, indicates to me that it may be related to either the routing or the length of the fuel lines. Bikes where the right fuel line rubs up against the side of the socket-head cap screw by the coil seem to be prone to the problem. If the fuel line is routed so it lays on top of the screw, it does not seem to occur. If you dealer installed a new fuel line, check to see how it lays - I'll bet it is slightly different than it was before.

#45 ·
The fact that it only affects some bikes, and specifically seems to be limited to 2002 and early 2003 models, indicates to me that it may be related to either the routing or the length of the fuel lines. Bikes where the right fuel line rubs up against the side of the socket-head cap screw by the coil seem to be prone to the problem. If the fuel line is routed so it lays on top of the screw, it does not seem to occur. If you dealer installed a new fuel line, check to see how it lays - I'll bet it is slightly different than it was before.

Mine's a 2002 july born vrod It has rubbed partly through the hose :(((
What about the guys who have vrods that are NOT in this forum do they have to wait till there is a FIRE ? This has to be a re call ! dam i seen reacalls for taillights this is a Saftey Issuie For SURE !!!!!!!

#46 ·
Well took my bike to the dealer and this was an item I had them look at. I never checked it myself. When I went to pick up my bike and they told me it looked Ok??. Well with all these rodders with this problem and Ski making sure everyone checks it, I checked it myself right at the dealer. I noticed that one of my lines is worn through the mesh. I showed it to the service manager and he said yeah, it looks fine and that their was no problem. I wasn't too happy with his answer and he said for me to just watch it. I told him about using a cut spark plug wire (Thanks Max) and he said to just wrap it with electrical tape?? No thanks, I want to do it right.
Ski, you asked me to check mine and yes mine are worn through the mash.
Thanks for the info:D

#47 ·
Jason,

It sounds like the Service Manager needs and atitude adjustment (or a swift kick in the ass). First they put weights on the wheels where none were needed before and then they look at a wearing fuel line and say everything's fine.

You owe it to us to tell us what dealer is feeding you this crap so we can steer clear! (I'm pretty sure I know but I don't want to say without your confirmation)

#48 ·
Lakeland HD. In Lakeland Florida. The service manager said that there was no place he could relocate the lines to and since he couldn't relocate it, to just watch it closely. Oh well, the info from the members is what makes this place the best!

#49 ·
vrsc said:
Lakeland HD. In Lakeland Florida. The service manager said that there was no place he could relocate the lines to and since he couldn't relocate it, to just watch it closely. Oh well, the info from the members is what makes this place the best!
He didn't cover them or anything?

#50 ·
Get that kind of "info" in writing, then when something happens, your attorney will have something to stand on.
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.