Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Fuel Line Damage - WARNING

100K views 206 replies 130 participants last post by  SmokeyGold04 
#1 ·
I'm passing on this info. to make others aware of a potential serious failure mode. It only takes about 5 minutes to investigate and could save your a$$.

I smelled raw gas on Friday morning just after I got off the freeway on my way to work. I assumed it was from the old beater pickup in front of me at the light... didn't give it a second thought. Went to go for a spin at lunch, put her into neutral, turned on the key, and my left leg got soaked with gas. Upon further inspection I found that the high-pressure fuel line (approx 60 psi) had worn through due to abrasion on the connector attached to the frame on top of the rear cylinder, under the fuse block (see photo). It unnerved me a bit; I had a bad visual of my bike going up in flames while I was riding! :eek: Fortunately that didn't happen.

The best part is that I had it fixed that day. Glad I got the extended warranty! I called the dealer, they drove out to my work, picked up my bike, took the bike and me to the service department and replaced the fuel lines immediately. The whole repair took about 30 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised they had the parts in stock. Apparently, HD had them buy a bulk lot of V-rod parts and these fuel lines were included.

The new fuel lines are shaped much nicer, they are low against the cylinder head and there's plenty of room between them and the connector. In the photo, I was pushing them down to get a good view of the damage. FYI, My bike is a 2002, ser. no. ending in 801910, so it's one of the earlier ones. Perhaps they realized this problem and changed the shape of the hoses. BTW, these hoses are about $22.00 ea. Has anyone else had this or similar problem?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Bikerdave I made this a sticky and hope that everyone will take a minute and inspect the lines at that point. Thanks for the heads up on it. I'll check the lines on both of mine asap.

#11 ·
I wrapped them with some hose. It should have a clip coming off the valve cover bolt to hold them in place. Everyone knows engine vibration will chew through anything.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hey all, could you please post a photo a little further back? Am having trouble figuring out where to look.

Thanks
Greg

#15 ·
Greg.. Take the air box cover off and lift the fuse block up, under this look just left of rear coil pack and you will see two fuel lines running over the rear cam cover. It seems that the coil pack or bolt is causing this. Hope this helps.Good luck Greg

#16 ·
Once again... a website worthy of its name.

Mine is worn through on the lower feed. Zip tied it off for the time being until I have the fuel gauge issue, alt cover leak and mushy clutch fixed.

Thanks Bikerdave... you may have saved some of us from going down the highway in a ball of flames.

-Dipper

#17 ·
I just got the chance to check mine and it looked just like Okie's. I took a piece of spark plug wire loom and wrapped around mine to protect it. Jeannie's had a gap in between it and the coil bolt but I put a piece of wrap on it anyway.

Again thanks for the heads up bikerdave and I suggest everyone make sure to check this ASAP.

Max

#18 ·
The damage on mine was on both lines. The left one (kiskstand side) was all the way through and the other was only about 1/2 way through the plastic hose. The attached photo shows the position of the fuel lines as they existed before the repair. The replacement ones are right on top of the valve cover, at least 1/2" below the connector.

I believe the abrasion was not caused by the coil pack bolt as suggested by VrodG.

OKIE's photo looks like that may be the case on his, but mine were both abraded on the top side of the hoses, not on the side or on the bottom.

Ski said "Check your front motor mount". Mine looks in tact, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Attachments

#21 ·
bikerdave Mine is worn on the inside hose closest to the coil pack and the other one looked good. but will look again!!!!! Thanks Greg

PS... I Went back and looked at your pic and my lines are lower and to the left, the bolt that your lines are laying on is the one that rubs my inside line .. Hope this help someone.

#22 ·
Mine is worn through on the lower feed. Mine is worn on the inside hose closest to the coil pack and the other one looked good.

BikerDave, Your lines are longer than mine which forces them to the top and the bracket. Mine settle into the space where the coil bolt makes contact.

#24 ·
Panman said:
BikerDave, Your lines are longer than mine which forces them to the top and the bracket. Mine settle into the space where the coil bolt makes contact.
Panman, the old ones DO appear to be longer. The replacements I now have fit nicely. They are right on top of the cam cover and over to the left. I think I will put a piece of hose or similar on them to protect them nonetheless!

More later,
bikerdave
:kaz:

#26 ·
First i just want to add this site is the best !! I checked it out on my bike (03 with 6k) and i had it the same as in the picture of v cruz's bike, it had worn through the outer covering on the line next to the coil, i wrapped it in some hose and snugged it with ziptie. I will just keep an eye on it. Thanx again .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.