Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

how low is too low?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  jimlowe 
#1 ·
I have an 08 vrscd (Night Rod) I have a Arlen Ness lowering block on the bike and want to install a Progressive 12" shock can I use both or does the angle of the shock because of the Ness block give me issues?

#2 ·
I wouldn't go lower than 12" shocks by themselves under any circumstances. Even with just 12" shocks many exhaust systems will make the bike nearly unusable.

#4 ·
I wouldn't go lower than 12" shocks by themselves under any circumstances. Even with just 12" shocks many exhaust systems will bike nearly unusable.
:them: I had 11 inch Progressive 312's on mine for short time and bottomed out the rear tire too many times. Make sure you lower the front as much as the rear to keep the geometry the same, for better handling.

#5 ·
Depends on your riding habits and styles. I'm at stock height with a wicked 2:1 exhaust which sits higher than stock, and still drag the pipes on occasion.

#6 ·
how low is too low?

Well... when ya think there is a ultralight passing over ya and you dont see it... than you realize your frame is fully resting (making that noise) on the tyre at 40 mph or so for 1/2 a mile.

Happend to me 800 miles from home from a fully deflated air shocks. tyre wase undammaged. had the wrong setup for wide tyre. all is resolved. min height is 10 3/4 or so now but thats scary low.

#7 ·
plus the ride completly sucks from that lowering kit.

#10 ·
Keep lowering until it lets you know what is too low for you. I scrape on an R, so I am not a fan. I do like the air rides, that slam them down when parked. Joe

#11 ·
I think you will be to low w the blocks.The lowering blocks,as I call them,are junk as far as the quality of the ride.the angle is to great for the shock to work correct.
Never rode w those fancy after market 12 inchers,but I can tell you that the factory shocks cut to 12 inches and a progressive lowering kit up front stiffens up the V-Rod to what it should be.The damned things are way to mushy from the factory.
My 03 has 1 inch of travel in the front and the rear,and on occasion like when I hit a friggin speed bump at 30 mph the other day,I get a bump,but no frame bottoming.

Lowering a V-Rod makes the bike handle like it was supposed to.Lowering mine reduced my 60ft time.

#12 ·
couple of years back I bought a set of 12" progressive 440's,took my wife on the back and went for trial ride,couple of miles into the ride went round a bumpy right hander, the rear frame rail hit the road and lifted the back of the bike and nearly spat us off.rode straight home took them off.Put the standard shocks back on and ordered 13" 440's no problems since.I am around 150lbs and the wife is 140 so dont think that was sthe problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.