Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Backfiring then stalling....HELP!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rcwilliams 
#1 ·
I have an 08 105th Anniversary VRSCAW. The only mod I have done was back in 09 when I put TAB non-baffled slip ons. I was told by Harley there was no need to remap, so I didn't. Just last week after filling up with Chevron 92 octane I started backfiring bad and stalling out immediately after backfires. Not sure what could cause this and am afraid to take to the dealer and pay a rediculous amount just to hook up to diagnostics. If you have experienced this or have any info please let me know. It could either be a remap problem or bad fuel, not sure.

#2 ·
Take a look a the tech section, and pull your codes. Let us know what codes you find.

Make sure you go through and check your BATTERY CABLES and your GROUND WIRES. There are two grounds. One to the front of the engine from the battery, and one from the rear of the engine to the frame. Check all those connections for tightness.

Running your bike with free flowing pipes, especially wide open pipes like the Tab's without re-mapping your bike is really not optimal. You probably have a massive stutter on the low end, that kind of smooths out when you get above 3500 RPM.

That, and you're probably running pretty lean at cruising speed, and idle.

The bikes run lean from the factory, as a matter of EPA regulations, and running free flowing after market pipes on a bike that's already lean, just compounds things.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you find by pulling your codes.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for your advise. RJRivero, it was the ground, must not of made sure it was tight when I put the new battery in. Thanks much, and will also get it to the dealer and get it re-mapped so i'm running the right fuel/air ratio so I don't encounter any more problems. I appreciate all your guys input.

#6 ·
Glad it was simple. Ride safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.