Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Pistons

849 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Elgavilan 
#1 ·
Upcoming upgrades include Stage 2 cams, SE Slipper Clutch, 26t sprocket, SE Destroyer 58mm TB with Destroyer injectors and SE CNC ported heads; should I install new pistons? It seems most of the engine will be apart duirng this process and if yes would it require much more shop time. Also seeking if needed any recommendation of pistons. Pros or cons for doing this work? Should I stick with factory springs for cams? Just looking to save money during this install. FYI this is not a track bike!

#2 ·
The only reason to change pistons is to go to a bigger engine. Either with larger sleeves or longer stroke. No reason to change the stock pistons with staying with 1130cc. The heads with go on any size engine.

For springs contact ohioVrod and get the beehives with retainers. They will drop right into the heads.

The engine will not be apart completely to just swap the heads. You could not to split the cases to be able to remove the pistons. If you do want to go that far you could simply put in a Destroyer crankshaft and the CP M5075 pistons to make it a 1177cc. Again, Scott (ohioVrod) will be the place to go for these parts. You could continue to use your stock sleeves as no boring will be done.

#8 ·
This is a little off topic but what will a SE head flow compared to a stock 1130 cc head like in my 03 and also compared to the heads Scott is selling. I know it will be between those 2 but where as a general estimate in the terms of CFM ?

#9 ·
The SE head will flow a lot better than the stock 03 head and Scott's ported head will flow more (10% to 15%) more than the SE head.

The stock pistons are Mahle forged pistons and are very good pistons. There is no reason to change them unless you are going for a bigger bore or more stroke or want higher compression.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.