Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Clutch / Master Cylinder Question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  usanigel 
#1 ·
How is everyone..been a while since I have posted. I have a question I know there is some smart folks on here. When running a hydrolic clutch if the master cylinder is changed from 9/16 to 11/16 does the line have to be bigger. It currently has the very small number 3 size line which cannot be changed and my discussion with the hand control/handlebar company that it will push more volume which it is lacking even if the line is still the same....Any thoughts is this accurate...Thanks BIG

#2 ·
When you go to a larger bore and piston,you get more volume.Surface x area,equals volume.The larger the surface,the less movement it takes to move the same amount of fluid of the smaller bore master.
Resistance creates pressure,not the master.The master,similar to a pump,simply moves fluid,and a regulator in the system restricts the fluid creating pressure.In the clutch system we have on this motorcycle,the resistance of the clutch apply springs is the pressure regulator.
The amount of fluid used to disengage the clutch stays the same.So use the #3 lines because all you are doing here is reducing the travel on the lever.

BTW,the size of the lines can be changed to #4.You'll need to do accurate drilling and a proper tap for resizing the threads.If you do this,make sure the angle of the #4 flair is the same as the #3.you will need to open the orifices up at the maters outlet and the slaves inlet.None of this is going to gain you anything.

#4 ·
The increase in swept volume is about 50% so that could cause problems. If it works, your clutch "grab" point will be almost at the end of your fingers.

Why do you need more volume?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.