Spun rod bearings - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 09-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spun rod bearings

Hey everyone
Well here I go again. [attach

]533987[/attach]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_161728_1567891935487.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	533987  
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fck, what happened?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
ozzie21
Registered Full

Why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
Hey everyone
Well here I go again. [attach

]533987[/attach]
You say "well here I go again". Has this happened before? Do you know why this is happening? Do you have performance mods done to your bike? It looks like you should first make sure all the crankshaft and crankcase specs are within OEM tolerances. Then if they are or you make them correct again, you should probably pin your bearings so they can't spin and cause this to happen again. It's not a big job if the engine is already disassembled. If you don't know what I mean just look it up. If you're getting your engine rebuilt by someone with V-Rod engine building experience they should know about pinning the bearings anyway. If I ever had to tear down the motor on my turbo Muscle I would have pinned the bearings but as long as the bike was working fine I wouldn't bother. I'd only do it if I had to tear down and rebuild the engine. The best way to look at this is as an opportunity to make things better than new.

Last edited by ozzie21; 09-08-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added Comments
ozzie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full

Well, since we are guessing at this point, oil pump failure or the Lucas oil stabilizer causing oil foaming, not providing good oil wedge. I know Rob used it on the last trans bearing thread and I'm not a fan of the stuff due to it's aeration effects.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
freudie1
Registered Full

I vote oil pump issues or torque setting issue with caps.

Who built this?

What are the other power adder modifications?
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Triple sprocket bolt come loose?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Nope oil pump is ok and I was relieved at that. I was just geting on the hiway and I pushed it to about 7gran for a few seconds. And when I got out of it it started pulling weird and going slower and slower. I pulled off hiway and checked it and it would not crank. So I put it in gear and tried to move it and it would not move. THE ENGINE WAS LOCKED UP.
So was towed to house. Well the engine does not show any damage any where else. But I still need to check cam journals.The crank mains as you can see are ok. I am removing the heads now to inspect all further. I put the rod bearings in when the first trans bearing failed. And it was done by the book with new rod bolts. Bike has 86k on it. Mabe to much to ask for such rpms at that mileage I really dont fuc*in. know. The engine looks good otherwise. Oil stablizer, well I dont know and could not prove that was it. Again I noticed my oil pressure was acting strange after I had really got on it. It would fluctuate a lot. On the low side 15 to 20 psi.But crusing at about 80 it would hold a steady 50psi. Engine always started and ran well. I at first thought I had spun a main. I was surprised to see this. Mabe some trash still in engine from last trans bearing failure. Oh and no this has never happened before. I admit I ride hard at times. But I dont abuse it. Triple sprocket bolt is tight and in place.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Some pic here. I know the cams look bad. But are they reusable since the scratches are circular. Could maybe clean up heads. Hmm cant get a engine, not as that I would want one after this. I mean not a used engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190908_144654_1567972174028.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	533989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_144610_1567972192811.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	533991   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_144603_1567972213698.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	533993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_144558_1567972235265.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	533995   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_144552_1567972252516.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	533997  

Name:	20190908_144543_1567972268950.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	533999  
Old 09-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
knight rod rob
Registered Full

I think the pics dont show damage well enough. I think the S.O.B is shot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190908_150323_HDR_1567973269236.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	534001  
Old 09-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
I think the pics dont show damage well enough. I think the S.O.B is shot
Yup, that journal is pretty much dinked. Curious, what do the rod journals on the crank look like as in scored or ok?
Cavitation was a problem at 7k in the early pumps but your 4 lobe pump shouldn't have cavitated. Don't know if the Lucas oil stabilizer with increased oil viscosity could bring it on. Clearly the rod bearings spun from lack of oil briefly but the cam journals look like running with some debri in the oil at some point. Don't think it all happened at the same time as rod bearings spun. Not sure totally but that's how I see it. Might never know the exact reason for events.
Ron
Old 09-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #11
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Ron
The first pic shows crank. It will need replacing. I need another engine. By the time I fix this thing I should look at a used engine and replace the trans bearing and engine bearings. It will cost I know. I see engines but not 1250
Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #12
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Ron
The first pic shows crank. It will need replacing. I need another engine. By the time I fix this thing I should look at a used engine and replace the trans bearing and engine bearings. It will cost I know. I see engines but not 1250
Ok, see that now on the crank. Regardless of what you do, make sure you flush the oil cooler. In the past, I've had journals chromed and reground. Not sure if it's a good option in this case however. I've seen heads on ebay and cams can be had from a few that swapped out to either SE or Jones. Tough call, I know as even buying used, I've be going over it first before bolting it in, unless I personally knew the bike and engine. I'm somewhat bummed at not knowing the actual cause of this melt down, as in the interrupted oil to the rods.
Ron
Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Yeah I think still had metal lodged in crank journal. As I read on the oil flow diagram. Because the main bearings were in good shape.The last time they were damaged. As the oil flows from the oil cooler to the main bearings then to the cam shaft. Metal must have been in rod journal. As I said the oil pump was not hurt although the oil pickup was full of debris. Which means almost nothing traveled through engine this time around. Remember the pump was trashed the last time.The first bearing failure oil pump was ok. And I did not have this failure, the second trans bearing failure, the pump was trashed and now this failure. I flushed oil cooler the last time. I may replace it also. Yep I too seen a couple items on ebay. Not sure how to handle heads. Might try to run with them and cams. As most of the thrust is on the cam caps on the end of the camshaft journal. And as for the front of the cam journals they were not hurt and they get most of the pressure from the chains and valves they to were not hurt. I dont believe the rear cam journal is as crucial as the front journal, thats maybe why the oil hole is drilled in front. I may polish them slightly and go with it. We will see. The heads I seen were for 1130 engines if I read correctly. Correct me if I am wrong. Yes I am taking it completely apart for a flush. My next deliema is the bearings in the trans. How to clean them. Replace them all
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Quote:
Nope oil pump is ok and I was relieved at that. I was just geting on the hiway and I pushed it to about 7gran for a few seconds. And when I got out of it it started pulling weird and going slower and slower. I pulled off hiway and checked it and it would not crank. So I put it in gear and tried to move it and it would not move. THE ENGINE WAS LOCKED UP.
So was towed to house. Well the engine does not show any damage any where else. But I still need to check cam journals.The crank mains as you can see are ok. I am removing the heads now to inspect all further. I put the rod bearings in when the first trans bearing failed. (2yrs ago)And it was done by the book with new rod bolts. And it did not really need the bearings. Bike has 86k on it. Maybe to much to ask for such rpms at that mileage I really dont fuc*in. know. The engine looks good otherwise. Oil stablizer, well I dont know and could not prove that was it. Again I noticed my oil pressure was acting strange after I had really got on it. It would fluctuate a lot. On the low side 15 to 20 psi.But cruising at about 80 it would hold a steady 50psi. Engine always started and ran well. I at first thought I had spun a main. I was surprised to see this. Maybe some trash still in engine from last trans bearing failure. Oh and no this has never happened before. I admit I ride hard at times. But I dont abuse it. Triple sprocket bolt is tight and in place.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Some how the thread order is wrong trying to fix. #13 is the last tread lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement