Sprintex SC with SE2 cams ??? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Big Bore/Turbo/SC/NOS area
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 01:04 AM   #1
jmatchstixx
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sprintex SC with SE2 cams ???

Hi Vrod world,

I have recently put a Sprintex blower onto my 1250cc nightrod which has a the SE2 cam kit installed. Has anyone had any experience with charging an NA cammed bike ? whats your thoughts on making it work ? I would prefer to keep them in but if its not worth it ill guess ill have to remove them and go back to standard. im currently running the DTT VRFI but am getting sick of it and will likely get the screamin eagle tuner put on and dyno'd

Keen on as much feedback as i can get
jmatchstixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,472
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatchstixx View Post
Hi Vrod world,

I have recently put a Sprintex blower onto my 1250cc nightrod which has a the SE2 cam kit installed. Has anyone had any experience with charging an NA cammed bike ? whats your thoughts on making it work ? I would prefer to keep them in but if its not worth it ill guess ill have to remove them and go back to standard. im currently running the DTT VRFI but am getting sick of it and will likely get the screamin eagle tuner put on and dyno'd

Keen on as much feedback as i can get
Curious on why you don't care for the DTT? Don't worry about hurting feelings here as some of us don't care for AlphaN either. Not a SC expert but generally cams and reduced compression pistons make a better overall SC engine. Stock might be better then the SE2 in this case if a specific cam can't be sourced.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
freudie1
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Curious on why you don't care for the DTT? Don't worry about hurting feelings here as some of us don't care for AlphaN either. Not a SC expert but generally cams and reduced compression pistons make a better overall SC engine. Stock might be better then the SE2 in this case if a specific cam can't be sourced.
Ron
To be fair, the latest generation of the DTT does have a MAP based version of their device (no idea if it still uses TPS as well).

I had this discussion a few weeks ago with someone talking about how even the OEM ecu is MAP based, but also TPS based...basically a hybrid alpha-n/MAP based system.

None the less, I can imagine the DTT frustrations are (in no uncertain order):

Flaky operation (how's your idle and gauges?)?
Ridiculous condescending "support" attitude?
Lack of knock sensing?
Perhaps false advertising as to what features it really has versus what is "coming soon"? <--I've got a story about this one, but that's for another time and a drink or two.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-28-2019, 01:50 AM   #4
jmatchstixx
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Curious on why you don't care for the DTT? Don't worry about hurting feelings here as some of us don't care for AlphaN either. Not a SC expert but generally cams and reduced compression pistons make a better overall SC engine. Stock might be better then the SE2 in this case if a specific cam can't be sourced.
Ron
Ive had the VRFI gen4 unit for 3 years now and have had it running a few different combinations and as a unit and for its functions ive been happy BUT..

Ive had 2 persistent issues with this computer. the first is that my bike is often throwing P1607 error code which then doesnt allow the BLM tables to be updated. this happens 50% of the time (currently everytime i ride it ) so no bloody point having an auto tune ??

Second issue is possibly linked to the first because when i download the logs they often dont relate to the previous riding session ? i suspect they arent being updated like the BLM tables.

Ive tried so many different things to overcome the persistent P1607 error with alot of focus given to my grounds but still no luck to find the gremlin.

In regards to the cams im likely to persevere with the Se2 ones but yeah keen to hear from experienced builders or tuners on the point
jmatchstixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
RONVROD
My Last Ride
 
RONVROD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,315
Images: 7
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatchstixx View Post
Hi Vrod world,

I have recently put a Sprintex blower onto my 1250cc nightrod which has a the SE2 cam kit installed. Has anyone had any experience with charging an NA cammed bike ? whats your thoughts on making it work ? I would prefer to keep them in but if its not worth it ill guess ill have to remove them and go back to standard. im currently running the DTT VRFI but am getting sick of it and will likely get the screamin eagle tuner put on and dyno'd

Keen on as much feedback as i can get
Running forced induction with wide overlap camshafts lets a large amount of boost to blow through the combustion chamber and right out of the exhaust pipe. On high performance naturally aspirated engines wide overlap is necessary to purge the combustion chamber and reload a fresh charge of AF. With forced induction engines that happens much faster so there need not be as wide of overlap.

Ditch the Stage II camshafts if you want the maximum benefit of forced induction.
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
jmatchstixx
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONVROD View Post
Running forced induction with wide overlap camshafts lets a large amount of boost to blow through the combustion chamber and right out of the exhaust pipe. On high performance naturally aspirated engines wide overlap is necessary to purge the combustion chamber and reload a fresh charge of AF. With forced induction engines that happens much faster so there need not be as wide of overlap.

Ditch the Stage II camshafts if you want the maximum benefit of forced induction.
I appreciate you taking the time its exactly the feedback i was looking for. Who are the cam experts when it comes to harley that could recommend the best to go with a sprintex running standard boost (8psi)
jmatchstixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
freudie1
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatchstixx View Post
I appreciate you taking the time its exactly the feedback i was looking for. Who are the cam experts when it comes to harley that could recommend the best to go with a sprintex running standard boost (8psi)
Jones cams, but the cams are made in limited batches and unobtainium for the most part (especially his forced induction cams).

Want to make it easy? Put the original cams back in, sell the SE cams, and enjoy 165 some reliable horsepower. Unless you are drag racing I don't see the point of hunting down the cams unless you live at the top of the RPM range (once again drag racing) AND you are prepared to start rebuilding an engine if you drop a spring, reach whatever limits of your engine and tuning capabilities, etc.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
Tie_One_On
Tie One On
 
Tie_One_On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The World Is My Apple
Posts: 1,643
Images: 11
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudie1 View Post
Jones cams, but the cams are made in limited batches and unobtainium for the most part (especially his forced induction cams).

Want to make it easy? Put the original cams back in, sell the SE cams, and enjoy 165 some reliable horsepower. Unless you are drag racing I don't see the point of hunting down the cams unless you live at the top of the RPM range (once again drag racing) AND you are prepared to start rebuilding an engine if you drop a spring, reach whatever limits of your engine and tuning capabilities, etc.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'06 street rod SuperCharged (and proud of it)
'46 Norton 16H w/SideCar
Tie_One_On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #9
Elgavilan
The Hawk
 
Elgavilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,722
Images: 21
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
If you are good at timing cams, you could slot the cam sprockets and separate the lobe centers more to reduce blow through and improve performance. You would have to be very careful not to advance or retard the cams so much that the pistons would contact the valves. I advanced the intake cams 4 degrees on my 1350 as per the advice of Eagle Harley and it ran really well that way.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
__________________
It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you get there!
Elgavilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
freudie1
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgavilan View Post
If you are good at timing cams, you could slot the cam sprockets and separate the lobe centers more to reduce blow through and improve performance. You would have to be very careful not to advance or retard the cams so much that the pistons would contact the valves. I advanced the intake cams 4 degrees on my 1350 as per the advice of Eagle Harley and it ran really well that way.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
While I applaud your enthusiasm, I can't recommend he try this. I am well versed in engine tuning and even I would have to consult with an engine builder to feel confident in using slotted sprockets on this engine (too many variables in my mind).

Once again, what is YOUR goal? Is it just to run "great" or is it to cut a few tenths off your 1320 run? If the later then get a hold of Vreelands/etc, otherwise I still maintain the stock cams/degree is where you would be happy (and reliable).
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
Elgavilan
The Hawk
 
Elgavilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,722
Images: 21
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yeah, if you donít know what youíre doing itís best not to try it. V rods running aftermarket cams need to have them degreed in and there used to be a manufacturer that made slotted v rod cam sprockets, but Iím not sure if theyíre still around . It is pretty easy to slot them yourself. Just need to know what youíre doing!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you get there!
Elgavilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
RONVROD
My Last Ride
 
RONVROD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,315
Images: 7
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Another option is to be patient and wait for me to sell the new set of Jones Stage II supercharger camshafts that I'm sitting on.
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #13
RONVROD
My Last Ride
 
RONVROD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,315
Images: 7
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgavilan View Post
Yeah, if you donít know what youíre doing itís best not to try it. V rods running aftermarket cams need to have them degreed in and there used to be a manufacturer that made slotted v rod cam sprockets, but Iím not sure if theyíre still around . It is pretty easy to slot them yourself. Just need to know what youíre doing!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Multiple hole patterns is better than slotting.
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
Elgavilan
The Hawk
 
Elgavilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,722
Images: 21
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONVROD View Post
Multiple hole patterns is better than slotting.
That would not work as the change would be way to large, we're talking degrees of change here. Movement of 1/8" to 1/4" is all you need, a half inch would be a really large change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
__________________
It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you get there!
Elgavilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
Elgavilan
The Hawk
 
Elgavilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,722
Images: 21
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Some guys in the past have run a stock intake cam on the exhaust side for better flow with a turbo setup. Not sure exactly what is required for the cam sprockets to make that work.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
__________________
It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you get there!
Elgavilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum