Water/ meth injection - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Big Bore/Turbo/SC/NOS area
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Water/ meth injection

How many of you would be interested in a kit ? I've researched this. Injectors now can atomize to under 10 microns at 3-5 bar pressure. (Old design car kits could maybe get down to 20 microns but needed 100 pounds & up pressure to achieve that). Better technology means we can use smaller pumps & have better results. Idea is to run them as on or off to eliminate controller, but the flow pretty much matches demand requirements based on load. Looks like price would come in between $250 - 300. Might have to fabricate a few brackets to mount pump & tank. Please let me know of interest, we'll get a better price on the pump for more units. Primarily for boosted applications but NA can benefit too. Thx
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Rapidone
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampboogiedoug View Post
How many of you would be interested in a kit ? I've researched this. Injectors now can atomize to under 10 microns at 3-5 bar pressure. (Old design car kits could maybe get down to 20 microns but needed 100 pounds & up pressure to achieve that). Better technology means we can use smaller pumps & have better results. Idea is to run them as on or off to eliminate controller, but the flow pretty much matches demand requirements based on load. Looks like price would come in between $250 - 300. Might have to fabricate a few brackets to mount pump & tank. Please let me know of interest, we'll get a better price on the pump for more units. Primarily for boosted applications but NA can benefit too. Thx

I would be interested in more information on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rapidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
ManicMechanic
Registered Full

What conditions are you running under that you feel the need for water injection?
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a technical file and data sheets?
Quote:
Idea is to run them as on or off to eliminate controller, but the flow pretty much matches demand requirements based on load.
And how do you plan to achieve that with on/off only?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Manic, Most of us with forced induction still use the stock CR. This helps to cool the intake charge & reduce knock. Can assist racers too.
Jan Dirk Would like to use a variable controller but cost & application specific unit seems to be hard to find. Most car stuff is on/off. We use a Hobbs switch ( pressure activated & adjustable for boost level) that turns the unit on. you want the most flow under highest acceleration load which is a lower rpm when boost is coming on & tapers at higher rpm.
Would appreciate any suggestions !
Old 04-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
ManicMechanic
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampboogiedoug View Post
Manic, Most of us with forced induction still use the stock CR. This helps to cool the intake charge & reduce knock. Can assist racers too.
Jan Dirk Would like to use a variable controller but cost & application specific unit seems to be hard to find. Most car stuff is on/off. We use a Hobbs switch ( pressure activated & adjustable for boost level) that turns the unit on. you want the most flow under highest acceleration load which is a lower rpm when boost is coming on & tapers at higher rpm.
Would appreciate any suggestions !
If you're boosted that makes more sense. Your first post came across as "hey wouldn't it be cool" but for no real reason.

I've worked with water injection on old airplanes and a few cars and WI is intended to make up for the missing cooling effects of lean mixtures. Most often though WI is just a crutch for an imbalanced engine.

If there is a demand for an inexpensive controller I might know someone willing and able to build one.
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

I agree on what it used to be. Tech has advanced to where its now viable to increase turbo efficiency & lower IAT's substantially. It is OEM on some of the new BMW turbo models.
An inexpensive controller would be fantastic, can't determine interest from lack of posts.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #8
mdomicolo
Registered Full

Pair this on the boosted bikes, i'm sure it would be fantastic!
mdomicolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 AM   #9
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Garage
https://www.snowperformance.eu/en/wa...turbo-gasoline

btw I will not install a waes on my bike, it requires too much attention and it is prone to fail. And when it fails you have a problem because you will realize it only when it's too late.
water injection is not meant for every day riding
Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Jan That's why we're on the Forum, to build one that won't fail & works on the turbo Vrod !
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
Rapidone
Registered Full

Did this idea go anywhere?

Rapidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidone View Post
Did this idea go anywhere?

I think it died, or at least it should. Keep it simple and avoid it on a daily rider.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Problem was a controller and suitable pump. For atomization you need a high pressure ( 100 psi?) pump, controller should be boost referenced, not sure how to regulate flow, thats why I put this on the Forum, how do we accomplish that ? Idea was to use it to cool inlet temperature to reduce knock & increase motor air density. Doing the math a quart would last quite awhile if its only sprayed at say 6 psi or greater. All of the car stuff is repurposed agriculture or fountain application parts. Who can suggest parts to make this work ?
Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 AM   #14
Jan-Dirk
Autobanmod

Garage
https://www.turbozentrum.de/Boost-Co...tage-2-MAF-18T
Old 09-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #15
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

The idea is great, just the pump is a repurposed agriculture unit & the tank is designed for auto use ( too big for a bike) IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement