Fuel Gauge Sender fixed by HD finally! - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #31
maddagascar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY_VRSCDX View Post
Same'ol Harley BS line...... they always say this: it is the first we,ve hearing of it, or act as if it is odd and doesn’t happen offten. they have been hearing about this this sonic fuel gauge problem from 2007 on up, and have tried 3 or 4 fixes for it so far that did not work, so if it was not a problem, then why the new fix. you will need to push them a bit to do the upgrade due to safety reasons. the GM debacle has all the other manufactures scrambling to do recalls and service bulletins as fast as they can to catch up now, or get their tit in a ringer too. As a Lawyer explained to me. They are told to never admit to any problem, or they become liable for said problem, and may not have a fix (or the fix is to expensive (i.e, recalling thousands of bikes at even a low cost adds up to much more then a service bulletin that says only replace if they complain) is much cheaper in the long run. Now that they have admitted that it IS a safety issue in (NHTSA 14V185000 4/08/2014) they have opened them self up to lawsuits on V-Rods too, for a known problem of 7 years. (GM?)

PS: there first line of defence is to have you take it to a dealer, and the dealer can not re-create the problem, so no proof that it is happening (Plausible Denial). my dealer re-created the problem on a dyno, replaced everything (shotgun) and HD still could not come up with a fix. told me to wait for one to come out first, then come back.

Damn, shitty.

What exactly should we/I be showing the dealer when they say this is new to them, blah blah blah, and to make sure we get the right fix and them saying it needs a software upgrade or replace the cluster, etc...

From what I've been reading, its an actual piece in the tank that doesn't float and such.

Is it the part number listed in the previous page and can I reference a specific TSB? Because I see the recall is not specifically for the VRODS and that it's for the Breakout. In NHSTA clicking on some of the pdf's referencing the case number it shows all they do is a software upgrade?

Cheers folks. Hope we all get this sorted out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #32
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddagascar View Post
What exactly should we/I be showing the dealer when they say this is new to them, blah blah blah, and to make sure we get the right fix and them saying it needs a software upgrade or replace the cluster, etc......
You could try printing one of the pictures SvFiat posted that shows the new 75210-09A part that was released in 2013 next to the previous 75210-09 version. An example of one of these pictures is shown here (the new version with the float is on the right):

I'd also have him look up the item in the 2014 VRSC parts catalog and show him that Harley still hasn't updated the listing to the new number.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #33
rbabos
Registered Full

Hmm. I have a 2013 dx. What exactly does this supposed float actually do in a sonic system? I've had no issues in 1.5 years with it so just maybe they found a solution??
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #34
rc4man
EXCELSIOR

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gives the "sonic" device something "firm" to bounce off rather than a softer, wavy fluid
Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4man View Post
Gives the "sonic" device something "firm" to bounce off rather than a softer, wavy fluid
Makes sense.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #36
Barracuda1
Lifetime Premium

Since this upgrade also includes a download, how does this affect those with aftermarket tuners such as the TMAX.

Mike
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #37
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda1 View Post
Since this upgrade also includes a download, how does this affect those with aftermarket tuners such as the TMAX....
Not at all. Aftermarket tuners (including the TMAX that replaces the ECM) don't interface with the fuel level sensor. The fuel level sensor connects to the IM (instrument module) and the IM is the only module that displays fuel level info.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #38
Barracuda1
Lifetime Premium

So the the reflash only affects the IM. I may update this.

Mike
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #39
SvFiat
Kidzap

I never had the re-flash after I installed the updated tube and my gas gauge has been near perfect since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #40
rippie74
1130cc is enuff 4 me

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvFiat View Post
I never had the re-flash after I installed the updated tube and my gas gauge has been near perfect since.
I think I want this...

Iceberg Blue 8K H.I.D. Conversion
Progressive Suspension (all around)
Sundowner Seat
Fender Base Plate/Low Sissy Bar/Luggage Rack
UE Trick Tank
Keyless Ignition Upgrade
Slipper Clutch
Drilled Belt Guards
100th Anniv. Windshield
Topless
SE2 Cams
2:1 Powerline Exhaust
Amsoil
Metzeler
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rippie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #41
MY_VRSCDX
matt blk & fire hot

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post What year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvFiat View Post
The flash was for '07 to '09. Not sure if it is needed for '09 & up. It was to install the '09 part # in early bikes. But one would think some fine cal would be needed.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #42
SvFiat
Kidzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_vrscdx View Post
the flash was for '07 to '09. Not sure if it is needed for '09 & up. It was to install the '09 part # in early bikes. But one would think some fine cal would be needed.
09 f

SvFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #43
harleynurse
caferacer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Wondering if the new updated "sonic sensor" float will need calibrated after so many years…..
03VRSCA "SOLD" after 50,000 miles.
harleynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #44
Psoff
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY_VRSCDX View Post
Same'ol Harley BS line...... they always say this: it is the first we,ve hearing of it, or act as if it is odd and doesn’t happen offten. they have been hearing about this this sonic fuel gauge problem from 2007 on up, and have tried 3 or 4 fixes for it so far that did not work, so if it was not a problem, then why the new fix. you will need to push them a bit to do the upgrade due to safety reasons. the GM debacle has all the other manufactures scrambling to do recalls and service bulletins as fast as they can to catch up now, or get their tit in a ringer too. As a Lawyer explained to me. They are told to never admit to any problem, or they become liable for said problem, and may not have a fix (or the fix is to expensive (i.e, recalling thousands of bikes at even a low cost adds up to much more then a service bulletin that says only replace if they complain) is much cheaper in the long run. Now that they have admitted that it IS a safety issue in (NHTSA 14V185000 4/08/2014) they have opened them self up to lawsuits on V-Rods too, for a known problem of 7 years. (GM?)
PS: there first line of defence is to have you take it to a dealer, and the dealer can not re-create the problem, so no proof that it is happening (Plausible Denial). my dealer re-created the problem on a dyno, replaced everything (shotgun) and HD still could not come up with a fix. told me to wait for one to come out first, then come back.
All of you with this fuel gauge issue (even if you already fixed it)...Please go to the NHTSA web site and take 5 min to submit a complaint. Even if you dont call Harley at least do the NHTSA submission. Lets get it on a record that Harley can not hide.
And those of you that do call Harley...When they state this sis the first they heard of it...tell them that is interesting because you know of numerous others that have the same issue and they already called Harley about this.
Maybe we need to start a list of names here on this site. Then send it to Harley in writing. Tell them maybe the local TV news channels would like to do a story about their cover ups.
I'm not 100% convinced that the new part number on it with the "A" is the final fix. I looked at the number on my bike (2011 NRS) and it has the number with the "A" on it, but my gauge is all over the map.
I haven't taken it out to verify if it has the float or not though.
Point is I shouldn't have to take it out to verify, if they were not playing games with part numbers and revisions.
Psoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #45
Usafle
Registered Full

How much money are we looking at out of pocket for this fix? Anyone get it done? How much did you have to pay for the work?
Usafle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement