V-rod newbie been riding since Ď79. Dumb questions - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Bill Wallace
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V-rod newbie been riding since Ď79. Dumb questions

All right you guys donít laugh too hard at this. Iíve been riding Harleys since 1979. Iíve owned a few of them over the years and a few strokers, too.

How the hell do you ride this thing?!!

Iím used to big stroke. The VROD is a different animal. Correct me if Iím wrong but you have to get the Revs up Before you release the clutch, unlike something with a bigger stroke where the bike starts moving without even giving it any fuel.

But the thing Iím having the hardest time doing is getting the revs way up there. Iíve never ridden a Jap Bike in my entire life, so maybe somebody could walk me through how I can really get some performance out of this machine.

Do you wind first gear out to say 7 to 8000 rpms and shift? Can I do that without damaging anything? I donít know a thing about riding a bike like this. But I do love it. Itís a great machine.
Bill Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wallace View Post
All right you guys donít laugh too hard at this. Iíve been riding Harleys since 1979. Iíve owned a few of them over the years and a few strokers, too.

How the hell do you ride this thing?!!

Iím used to big stroke. The VROD is a different animal. Correct me if Iím wrong but you have to get the Revs up Before you release the clutch, unlike something with a bigger stroke where the bike starts moving without even giving it any fuel.

But the thing Iím having the hardest time doing is getting the revs way up there. Iíve never ridden a Jap Bike in my entire life, so maybe somebody could walk me through how I can really get some performance out of this machine.

Do you wind first gear out to say 7 to 8000 rpms and shift? Can I do that without damaging anything? I donít know a thing about riding a bike like this. But I do love it. Itís a great machine.
It is a short stroke engine that revs easily but there's plenty of torque for starting off without easily killing the engine.

According to the ownerís manual the upshifts should be as follows:
1st to 2nd: 15 mph (25 km/h) (≈ 2100 RPM in 1st to 1400 RPM in 2nd)
2nd to 3rd: 25 mph (40 km/h) (≈ 2400 RPM in 2nd to 1900 RPM in 3rd)
3rd to 4th: 35 mph (55 km/h) (≈ 2700 RPM in 3rd to 2300 RPM in 4th)
4th to 5th: 45 mph (70 km/h) (≈ 3000 RPM in 4th to 2700 RPM in 5th)
Once broken in it doesn't hurt to wind out more but upshifting beyond 4500 RPM (maximum torque is at 7000 RPM, maximum HP is at 8500 RPM and redline is 9200 RPM) is more like racing than riding.

The owner's manual the downshift recommendations are:
5th to 4th: 40 mph (65 km/h) (≈ 2400 RPM in 5th to 2600 RPM in 4th)
4th to 3rd: 30 mph (50 km/h) (≈ 2000 RPM in 4th to 2300 RPM in 3rd)
3rd to 2nd: 20 mph (30 km/h) (≈ 1500 RPM in 3rd to 1900 RPM in 2nd)
2nd to 1st: 10 mph (15 km/h) (≈ 1000 RPM in 2nd to 1400 RPM in 1st)
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
rbabos
Registered Full

Coming off of a 120R in a softail, I don't find much difference in launch. Only a hair more rpm needed. There is plenty of torque available unless the tune is shit. Just a hair off of idle and it will launch just fine. General normal launches usually is in the 2-2500 range. Mind you mine has been well tuned and will pull away at idle if gentle on the clutch. Hell I've even launched in second by mistake and it wll pull away using about 2500 during clutch out. As for shift rpms , 3500-4k in general riding, sometimes 3k in shifts , not in a hurry. From there and need the quick up to speed, run it as high as you want but lately for me this is in the 6-7k. I'm seldom in that much of a rush to go to redline any more. 2nd gear at 7k is pretty fast already and the rest of the gears are just slipped into for cruising mode.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
mikes06rod
Premium Member

Yep , older now , and not always needing to go 'fast' everywhere , 2nd gear at 7K is pretty fast . That said , but Ohh do I love twisting the throttle at 3K , feeling/hearing this motor reach 5K and it's 'sweet spot' , and shifting at 8K . That in itself is why I ride this bike .
mikes06rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Bill Wallace
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Coming off of a 120R in a softail, I don't find much difference in launch. Only a hair more rpm needed. There is plenty of torque available unless the tune is shit. Just a hair off of idle and it will launch just fine. General normal launches usually is in the 2-2500 range. Mind you mine has been well tuned and will pull away at idle if gentle on the clutch. Hell I've even launched in second by mistake and it wll pull away using about 2500 during clutch out. As for shift rpms , 3500-4k in general riding, sometimes 3k in shifts , not in a hurry. From there and need the quick up to speed, run it as high as you want but lately for me this is in the 6-7k. I'm seldom in that much of a rush to go to redline any more. 2nd gear at 7k is pretty fast already and the rest of the gears are just slipped into for cruising mode.
Ron
Yeah, mine will do at least 80 in 2nd gear.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
Bill Wallace
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes06rod View Post
Yep , older now , and not always needing to go 'fast' everywhere , 2nd gear at 7K is pretty fast . That said , but Ohh do I love twisting the throttle at 3K , feeling/hearing this motor reach 5K and it's 'sweet spot' , and shifting at 8K . That in itself is why I ride this bike .
So shifting at high rpm is ok? Iíve seen dragsters do it. I wonít do it all the time.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Bill Wallace
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
It is a short stroke engine that revs easily but there's plenty of torque for starting off without easily killing the engine.

According to the owner’s manual the upshifts should be as follows:
1st to 2nd: 15 mph (25 km/h) (≈ 2100 RPM in 1st to 1400 RPM in 2nd)
2nd to 3rd: 25 mph (40 km/h) (≈ 2400 RPM in 2nd to 1900 RPM in 3rd)
3rd to 4th: 35 mph (55 km/h) (≈ 2700 RPM in 3rd to 2300 RPM in 4th)
4th to 5th: 45 mph (70 km/h) (≈ 3000 RPM in 4th to 2700 RPM in 5th)
Once broken in it doesn't hurt to wind out more but upshifting beyond 4500 RPM (maximum torque is at 7000 RPM, maximum HP is at 8500 RPM and redline is 9200 RPM) is more like racing than riding.

The owner's manual the downshift recommendations are:
5th to 4th: 40 mph (65 km/h) (≈ 2400 RPM in 5th to 2600 RPM in 4th)
4th to 3rd: 30 mph (50 km/h) (≈ 2000 RPM in 4th to 2300 RPM in 3rd)
3rd to 2nd: 20 mph (30 km/h) (≈ 1500 RPM in 3rd to 1900 RPM in 2nd)
2nd to 1st: 10 mph (15 km/h) (≈ 1000 RPM in 2nd to 1400 RPM in 1st)
Yup, got an owners manual. My grandmother used to ride harder than that. The downshifts I agree with. 45 mph in 5th gear? The only time I’ll do that is when I’m going on the expressway. She cruises 70 just fine in 4th. Thanks for the info, though. Hope you didn’t go through all the trouble to type that in manually. Thanks, bro!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #8
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Yup, got an owners manual. My grandmother used to ride harder than that. The downshifts I agree with. 45 mph in 5th gear? The only time Iíll do that is when Iím going on the expressway. She cruises 70 just fine in 4th. Thanks for the info, though. Hope you didnít go through all the trouble to type that in manually. Thanks, bro!
Agreed. I rarely hit 3rd gear when in town. Freeway? I usually settle into 5th when I'm done getting past the cagers.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
DaveK
Yooper/Geek

Quote:
So shifting at high rpm is ok? Iíve seen dragsters do it. I wonít do it all the time.
First gear to rev limiter with slight pressure on shifter, no-clutch quick shift to 2nd - that's one of the "drag" techniques... I've got a freeway on-off stretch on my way to work, and if I have a clear path and feel like it I might consider it. Otherwise, that is still my "wind it out in 1st" stretch still shifting above 8500. Once I shift, I'm at 65 and have to start decel on the off-ramp anyway.

Good way to really wake up for work.

The engine is rather bulletproof. Doing that on occasion won't hurt it in the least, and will put a big on your face...
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
Bill Wallace
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
First gear to rev limiter with slight pressure on shifter, no-clutch quick shift to 2nd - that's one of the "drag" techniques... I've got a freeway on-off stretch on my way to work, and if I have a clear path and feel like it I might consider it. Otherwise, that is still my "wind it out in 1st" stretch still shifting above 8500. Once I shift, I'm at 65 and have to start decel on the off-ramp anyway.

Good way to really wake up for work.

The engine is rather bulletproof. Doing that on occasion won't hurt it in the least, and will put a big on your face...
Yeah, thatís the kind of stuff I want to hear. My buddy has a 185hp Aprilia and I have to at least try to give him a run for his money! Weíre both old time HD guys, but we like to go fast. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement