Rear pulley bearing - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCDX
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
selliott5514
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: cedar lake indiana
Posts: 172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear pulley bearing

Had some rattling goin on in the rear narrowed it down to pulley bearing, question is that bearing suppose to be pressed in? I put a socket on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came right out. Is that normal?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
stever975
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 6,248
Images: 31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by selliott5514 View Post
Had some rattling goin on in the rear narrowed it down to pulley bearing, question is that bearing suppose to be pressed in? I put a socket on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came right out. Is that normal?...
It is press fit but if you heat the rear sprocket to about 212 F = 100 C (maybe a little hotter) the bearing will fall out.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
selliott5514
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: cedar lake indiana
Posts: 172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear pulley bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
It is press fit but if you heat the rear sprocket to about 212 F = 100 C (maybe a little hotter) the bearing will fall out.


Ok thanks a lot, after cleaning the old bearing and cleaning inside sprocket I can put the bearing back in with my hands so Im on my way back from Harley to see if a new bearing is going to work otherwise I need a new pulley which kinda sucks since the bike has 6k mike on it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,427
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by selliott5514 View Post
Ok thanks a lot, after cleaning the old bearing and cleaning inside sprocket I can put the bearing back in with my hands so Im on my way back from Harley to see if a new bearing is going to work otherwise I need a new pulley which kinda sucks since the bike has 6k mike on it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the fit is somewhat firm and bore is good, retaining Loctite will do the job. If it's to the point where the bearing has some slop, you can end up with a few thou non concentric situation that even with Loctite can play hell with even belt tension. That case either have a machine shop center the bore with the sprocket OD and sleeve it for a new bearing press fit or get a new sprocket.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
selliott5514
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: cedar lake indiana
Posts: 172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
If the fit is somewhat firm and bore is good, retaining Loctite will do the job. If it's to the point where the bearing has some slop, you can end up with a few thou non concentric situation that even with Loctite can play hell with even belt tension. That case either have a machine shop center the bore with the sprocket OD and sleeve it for a new bearing press fit or get a new sprocket.

Ron


Thanks a lot Ron theres no slop, I never knew about retaining locktite Im gonna run to the parts store now! What do you think would cause that to loosen like that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
pecee
Registered Full
 
pecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: new zealand
Posts: 2,466
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
remember,dont power wash the bike,especially the steering head and wheel bearings,this is usually the cause of failures.
pecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
knight rod rob
Registered Full
 
knight rod rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ft worth Tx
Posts: 571
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by selliott5514 View Post
Had some rattling goin on in the rear narrowed it down to pulley bearing, question is that bearing suppose to be pressed in? I put a socket on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came right out. Is that normal?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it is not normal. It is a press fit. I could not knock mines out w/ a hammer. Like was said heating it. And adding loctite upon reinstall.
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
selliott5514
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: cedar lake indiana
Posts: 172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecee View Post
remember,dont power wash the bike,especially the steering head and wheel bearings,this is usually the cause of failures.


I never power wash I use a wash mit and a hose is all


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Knut J
VRSC est -03
 
Knut J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arctic Circle, Norway
Posts: 2,121
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Condition wheel bearings ok?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
rbabos
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodstock Ontario Canada
Posts: 3,427
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by selliott5514 View Post
Thanks a lot Ron theres no slop, I never knew about retaining locktite Im gonna run to the parts store now! What do you think would cause that to loosen like that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Piss poor HD quality control to start with regarding the tolerance for the fit right from the manufacturer. The other possible is that the bearing has been changed several times before and not heated up prior to pressing bearing out. This will draw metal out of the bore and it will lose it's press with each r&r.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
selliott5514
Registered Full
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: cedar lake indiana
Posts: 172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bearing was good I had a new one installed last year cause I had the rims and the pulley powder coated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
selliott5514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum strong>Kawasaki Z125 Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Honda Africa Twin Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum Ducati 959 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Victory Charger Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum
BMW Scrambler Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum