Ongoing battery issues! - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
1096369fred
Glory to Hypnotoad!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ongoing battery issues!

Hey Guys,

I have had a problem with my 2004 B that is really pissing me off! I love my bike.... But it is always dead when I go to ride it, requiring a jump start at best..... Or a dead shot battery at worst.... I don't know if I have an unusual power drain in my bike or what!

I keep my bike in a free garage..... But one with no power.... So the standard "keep it on a tender " answer won't work..... I tried a solar battery tender..... Which kinda worked..... But they are not made to be left outdoors exposed to the elements..... I tried a cheap harbor freight one.... But think it drained the batter even faster when the sun was not out!

I go through at least One deka battery a year.... sometimes more.....as these gel battery's really hate being totally discharged..... Not sure if maybe I have a short or what.... I even tried pulling tha I fuse when not in use..... No difference, I return after a couple of weeks..... Oh, it is dead again..... Sigh!

Anyone have any bright ideas? I love my bike.... But am getting kinda fed up with this issue..... Thinking of selling her if I can't get more reliability out of it!

Thanks!
Fred
"04, "B", D&D Fat Cat Pipes, Dogs Ass Trimmed, Radiator Screens, Semi-Topless, Nightrod Seat, H.D. Flash, K & N Air Filter, Front Turn Signal Relo, Amsoil Syn. Oil. Blackout Riser and Clamshell, 200 Metz Rear, "D" Fairing, and DX handlebars, Hose Cover and Side Covers, Doc's Stage 1, and rear LED turn signals, Trick Tank, Progressive 440's, Progressive front shocks, and heavy fork Oil, and Powdercoated "Slotted Rims","trees", and "sliders".
1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
Hey Guys,

I have had a problem with my 2004 B that is really pissing me off! I love my bike.... But it is always dead when I go to ride it, requiring a jump start at best..... Or a dead shot battery at worst.... I don't know if I have an unusual power drain in my bike or what!

I keep my bike in a free garage..... But one with no power.... So the standard "keep it on a tender " answer won't work..... I tried a solar battery tender..... Which kinda worked..... But they are not made to be left outdoors exposed to the elements..... I tried a cheap harbor freight one.... But think it drained the batter even faster when the sun was not out!

I go through at least One deka battery a year.... sometimes more.....as these gel battery's really hate being totally discharged..... Not sure if maybe I have a short or what.... I even tried pulling tha I fuse when not in use..... No difference, I return after a couple of weeks..... Oh, it is dead again..... Sigh!

Anyone have any bright ideas? I love my bike.... But am getting kinda fed up with this issue..... Thinking of selling her if I can't get more reliability out of it!

Thanks!
Fred
You didn't say how old the battery is but it sounds like it's pooched. 2 weeks should barely have any effect even with security system. Pulling the fuse rules out drain as well as ruling out needing a new bike. However batteries can drain themselves from sulfate formed on the plates. Sometimes even a fairly new but defective battery will do this or worse.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
How often you ride as well as well as how long a ride could be a problem. It takes a good while to charge up a battery when riding. Not sure of actual time but I would say an hours (just a guess) ride at speed may be necessary to fully charge a battery.
2 weeks being idle may discharge the battery significantly if the alarm is set. I know my 2003 would be dead after two weeks of inactivity if I set the alarm in the garage. My 2007 the alarm is automatically set when I turn the ignition off so 2 weeks sitting idle is a problem.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

I have the what ever starter interupt it comes with on mine. My bike sat for 6 weeks after surgery and it fired right up the battery is now almost 6 years old. Deka from a auto parts store.

Rusty your right on the battery recharge the chargeing systems do recharge but much of that voltage goes to running the bike so its not all going for charge purposes. Average car takes about 10 minutes of highway driving to rechage after a cold start.

This may not be the fix but could make it easier to have fun. Matco tools along with others have a portable jump box the size of a cell phone. THEY DO WORK, jumped off a 6.3 GMC Silverado with a dead battery. They are not for running a car or bike but can get ya jumped off easy.

Here is what I would try, take battery from bike get it fully charged, and tested. If good reinstall it in the bike but leave the negitive terminal off. Take a test light and use it as the connection for the terminal. If it lights up you have a draw. The brighter the higher the draw. Then its track it down. It could be anything form a bad keyswitch, to the ECM not wanting to shut down.

To me two weeks seems very short unless your running an alarm. If so then I would buy a deep cycle boat battery and hook it up to the bike with a quick disconnect plug. The deep cycle likes to be almost dead before recharge. It would be like a huge reserve.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:12 AM   #5
TwinOaks
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The alarm should not completely drain a good working battery in 2 weeks.

Have you checked if the stator is making enough juice to sufficiently charge and keep the battery charged? My guess is in the charging system somewhere. These EFI bikes take a lot more juice to run, especially at start-up, than a carbed bike and therefore as mentioned, take longer to charge a weakened battery.
TwinOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
JJrod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinOaks View Post
The alarm should not completely drain a good working battery in 2 weeks.

Have you checked if the stator is making enough juice to sufficiently charge and keep the battery charged? My guess is in the charging system somewhere. These EFI bikes take a lot more juice to run, especially at start-up, than a carbed bike and therefore as mentioned, take longer to charge a weakened battery.
The Early Alarm System will drain the battery in 7-10 days on a good battery. And once a AGM battery is stone dead, they either do not recover and/or the life will be shortened significantly.
You can burn up a Stator and or regulator by running the motorcycle with a bad or weak battery.
JJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
mikes06rod
Premium Member

You didn't say , whether you pulled an accessory ( small ) fuse , or the maxi-fuse . As far as I know , nothing will work on the bike , nothing can drain the battery , when the maxi-fuse is pulled . I had a similar problem with my bike , an '06-D , I don't have a security system . If I let the bike sit for 2 weeks , the battery would be drained enough , that the bike wouldn't start . If I pulled the maxi-fuse and let the bike sit for 2 weeks , the battery wouldn't be drained at all . What I found , was the the voltage regulator was draining the battery , when the bike sat idle . I haven't had any problems , since I replaced the voltage regulator .
Mike
mikes06rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes06rod View Post
........ What I found , was the the voltage regulator was draining the battery , when the bike sat idle . I haven't had any problems , since I replaced the voltage regulator .
Mike

I have seen regulators fail and accelerate the drain on a battery, seen it on an EVO and a VROD.

60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
JJrod
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post

I have seen regulators fail and accelerate the drain on a battery, seen it on an EVO and a VROD.

But wouldn't pulling the maxi fuse (as he stated in the original post) eliminate the possibility of regulator draining the battery with maxi fuse removed and the battery still going dead?
JJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJrod View Post
But wouldn't pulling the maxi fuse (as he stated in the original post) eliminate the possibility of regulator draining the battery with maxi fuse removed and the battery still going dead?
Yes, assuming no alterations to the system which bypass the MAXI fuse, things that comes to mind is a battery tender connection which this person does not have or a USB power port adapter direct wired to the battery terminals could be a persistent load.
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
1096369fred
Glory to Hypnotoad!

Hey Guys,

I FOUND IT!!!

I have been living with this problem like a bad tooth, for over ten years..... And bought a new battery almost every year....

It was the power commander..... (Old model) finally in frustration
I pulled it off, hooked everything back up, and two weeks later.....
Still starts like a raped ape!

WaaaaH-Hooo! This has been a really annoying problem.....

My only complaint..... Is my '04's acceleration is kinda Ho-Hum without the P.C...... Noticeably so.... Kinda feels like I'm dragging a cinder block!

Before I shell out $300+ bucks on the new model Power Commander..... Has anyone had any issues with them, particularly draining the battery? While the bike is not as much fun to ride now....
(My riding style... I never used to hit the throttle stop... Now I do!), having it not kill the battery..... Is well worth the trade off!!!!

Thanks so much for all the help!!!
Fred
"04, "B", D&D Fat Cat Pipes, Dogs Ass Trimmed, Radiator Screens, Semi-Topless, Nightrod Seat, H.D. Flash, K & N Air Filter, Front Turn Signal Relo, Amsoil Syn. Oil. Blackout Riser and Clamshell, 200 Metz Rear, "D" Fairing, and DX handlebars, Hose Cover and Side Covers, Doc's Stage 1, and rear LED turn signals, Trick Tank, Progressive 440's, Progressive front shocks, and heavy fork Oil, and Powdercoated "Slotted Rims","trees", and "sliders".
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
1096369fred
Glory to Hypnotoad!

Found it!!!!!!

Found it!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
andy b
Registered Full

my original pwr commander from 2003 lasted 10 yrs - - then i had a no start condition - - bike would crank until battery went dead & maybe it would start. threw a crank sensor code - - replaced the sensor & no change - - removed the pwr commander & bike was fixed - - -called pwr commander & told them what happened - - they said, send us the old unit & we will sell you a new one for 1/2 off - - i did that 5 yrs ago. the map that was on their site for my rinehart pipes was very rich - - spent some more $$ to have it dyno tuned - - bike runs perfect now - 5 yrs on new style pwr commander
andy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
LueeLu
Louie Lou

Garage
Some good Info on this post. Having a similar issue & almost on Brink of throwing in the Towel. But going to try some of the suggestions here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Louie Lou
LueeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #15
RzeroB
Registered Full

I just got back on the site ... was looking at the "active topics" ... and I was first drawn to this thread because I can directly relate to it!

I've had my '06 D since March of '14. I've had to put a new battery in it every year since I have owned it! It's my first HD, so I thought that maybe that's just how they were ... Like the op Fred said, it gets pretty darn frustrating when you want to take the bike out and find that the battery is too weak to get the bike started.

I found the op's comment that the Power Commander (PC) was zapping his battery interesting ... because my bike has a PC III (might be a IV but I have to check?) on it too. Why would a PC drain the battery? I thought that it wasn't energized until the ignition was turned on? If I could, I wouldn't mind removing the PC entirely as it and it's pig-tail connectors take up a lot of room where there isn't any to spare.

Taxman mentioned the voltage regulator as a possible source of the power drain. I'm sure there has to be some way to test it? I know my alternator is good as I recently tested it after reinstalling the stator following the cam-drive triple-sprocket bolt replacement (yeah, mine fell out apparently like a lot of other rider's triple-sprocket bolts).
RzeroB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement