Bat Wing V-Rods - Page 9 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Baggers
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #121
Nandou
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You modifying hackers are way over my head.
A lady name Jennifer from vmod.com told me they were 2 wks from designing a batwing bracket for my 12 NRS. That was a month ago and Steve recently told me that project is an "I don't know when"...till then, I guess I am gonna have to fight the wind with a 19" shield from vmod. The only thing that fit on my extraterestial bike which no one seems to make parts for
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #122
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Location: North Carolina (Currently in the Land of Poppy and Goats)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandou View Post
You modifying hackers are way over my head.
A lady name Jennifer from vmod.com told me they were 2 wks from designing a batwing bracket for my 12 NRS. That was a month ago and Steve recently told me that project is an "I don't know when"...till then, I guess I am gonna have to fight the wind with a 19" shield from vmod. The only thing that fit on my extraterestial bike which no one seems to make parts for
You can definitely do it yourself. The fork clamps can be found on ebay for $34.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Mount...#ht_500wt_1156

All the stainless steel bolts, nuts, etc... can be had from Lowe's or Home Depot for cheap.

And you can pick up either a set of Memphis Shades universal fairing mounting brackets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-memph...r#ht_500wt_986

Or a set of slightly used Electra/Street Glide fairing OEM fairing brackets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Harley-...#ht_5220wt_986

You can massage the brackets back into shape with a $20 quick trigger torch from Lowe's, and use a regular electric drill with a metal cutoff wheel to trim them. It honestly isn't that hard to do it yourself.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #123
Nandou
Registered Full

Joe, thanks for your constant encouragement...

You guys dont relaize that handing me a torche and a piece of metal is like letting the McDonald cashier come to my class to give a lecture on differential equations...not quite that bad but close.

But I can picture you Joe, taking a well deserved vacation in Hawaii. Did you know girls run around the streets here wearing ONLY a grass skirt? Oh, yea! and they will jump on the back of your bike if you drive to close to them. Of course, I can provide you with a rental Harley V.Rod for your touring pleasure...and one for you to tweat a Memphis Batwing bracket for.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #124
downsouthinatl
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT America View Post
Thanks. I got mine off ebay but you can find them on J&P Cycles website, Dennis Kirk, etc... You'll need to buy fork clamps for a quick detach windshield as well.

I think I'm going to have to do a bar-swap as well in order to get one of these bad boys on. I've got a 26" broomstick (straight) on right now.
'04 VRSCB, Drag One Custom Swing Arm, 240 tire/180 Fender, Power Commander III USB, SE Air Filter, Topless, Custom Turbo Airbox, SE 16 ga. exhaust (Baffles removed), Side mount (LED Bolt lights), CA integrated brake/signals
downsouthinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #125
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthinatl View Post
I think I'm going to have to do a bar-swap as well in order to get one of these bad boys on. I've got a 26" broomstick (straight) on right now.
Once I get back and get my batwing done I'll be selling my bars/risers combo. The risers are 3.5" straight risers. I'll probably also be selling the Electra Glide windshield bag too. I picked up a set of Sportster 48 bars to use and I'll be getting a set of short risers to replace my current setup.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #126
hksigman
Registered Full

Garage
What headwinds part did you use for mounting your headlight?
what headlight did you use-heritage?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Quote:
My next phase of the bagger conversion is under way. I picked up a mint inner fairing off a 2009 Street Glide off ebay for $56. I should be snagging a denim black batwing outer fairing off a 2012 SG in the next few days, hopefully for under $125. And if all goes well I'll be picking up the fairing mount mirrors for under $40. I'm planning on installing additional speakers in place of some of the gauges, then doing something like a Pioneer AVIC in dash nav system with iPod connectivity, and creating a locking glovebox somewhere in there.

So, my Bob Dron fairing may be for sale in the not too distant future.

Once I get the batwing mounted to my liking I'll be moving on to the bags and rear fender. For bags I'm going to pick up a set of stretched bags either from bad dad or ballistic cycles. The rear fender is going to be the most fab/mod intensive piece. I have an extra stock DX rear fender laying around that I'll use as the base so I can keep the mounting points correct. My plan is to buy a bagger stretched rear fender cover in fiberglass and graft it onto the stock fender. I think that will be an over the winter project as I'll need a lot of time and patience to make sure I get it right. Once the fender is complete the bags will be easy. I'll just have to customize the standard mounting brackets to work with the DX.
hksigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #127
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksigman View Post
What headwinds part did you use for mounting your headlight?
what headlight did you use-heritage?

Any other tips or suggestions?
I used this headlight mount:
http://www.grcustoms.com/shop/V-Rod-...-Mounting-Kit/

You can find them on ebay. I did use the bucket from a heritage 7" round headlight, an OEM H-D dual halogen headlamp, and a Kuryakyn LED halo headlight trim ring. I also used to have the "R" headlight swap done so I already had the "Y" connector to use 2 bulbs instead of the just the one H4. I modified the connector from being an H9 and H11 setup to accepting 2 H11 bulbs and that's what I'm running now. I bought a set of super white H11 bulbs for my Cadillac's fog lights a long time ago that I never got around to installing so they're on my bike now. They are as close a color match to OEM HID lights that I've seen.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #128
hksigman
Registered Full

Garage
Is this basically what you did for the Bob Dron fairing? Do you think it will work for a 2012 since they have the inverted forks now?

Quote:
You can definitely do it yourself. The fork clamps can be found on ebay for $34.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Mount...#ht_500wt_1156

All the stainless steel bolts, nuts, etc... can be had from Lowe's or Home Depot for cheap.

And you can pick up either a set of Memphis Shades universal fairing mounting brackets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-memph...r#ht_500wt_986

Or a set of slightly used Electra/Street Glide fairing OEM fairing brackets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Harley-...#ht_5220wt_986

You can massage the brackets back into shape with a $20 quick trigger torch from Lowe's, and use a regular electric drill with a metal cutoff wheel to trim them. It honestly isn't that hard to do it yourself.
hksigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #129
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksigman View Post
Is this basically what you did for the Bob Dron fairing? Do you think it will work for a 2012 since they have the inverted forks now?
The only thing I did different was that I accidentally bought the entire Memphis Shades windshield mounting kit instead of just the fork clamps. If you get the 49-55mm adjustable clamps they should work fine with the inverted forks. I ordered all my bolts, nuts, and washers from race bolts.com because I wanted aluminum bolts instead of stainless, with the exception of the bolts that connect the brackets to the clamps. Those and the spacers I picked up at Lowe's for under $5. If you're trying to rake the fairing in order to get it to be inline with the rake of the forks and aren't comfortable cutting/welding the stock brackets that come with the fairing there are other options. You could take a piece of 1/8-1/4" aluminum stock roughly 3"x3" drill holes in one side that match where the holes on your brackets are, then lean the fairing until its at the angle you want it, mark on the aluminum stock where it lines up with the fork clamps and drill your holes. Or you could always just get a sheet of flat stainless stock and make new brackets.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #130
dynamo78
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Has anybody found a good fitting bag(attached to handlebar or fairing brackets) or other storage solution to utilize the space above the headlight?
Talking about the batwing here.

I look at that space every time and wish that I could have a bag in there to hold gloves, glasses, raingear etc.
There is quite a bit of space between the handlebar/ headlight and the fairing.

Anybody?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

" Seek and Destroy "
SOLD 2006 VRSCA Cobalt Blue SOLD
2008 VRSCDX
dynamo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #131
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo78 View Post
Has anybody found a good fitting bag(attached to handlebar or fairing brackets) or other storage solution to utilize the space above the headlight?
Talking about the batwing here.

I look at that space every time and wish that I could have a bag in there to hold gloves, glasses, raingear etc.
There is quite a bit of space between the handlebar/ headlight and the fairing.

Anybody?

What about the Electra Glide windshield bag?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #132
dynamo78
Registered Full

Garage
How deep is the bag ? Hard to tell in the picture. Does it actually go down behind the handlebar, or just small bag behind the shield?

" Seek and Destroy "
2008 VRSCDX
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #133
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Quote:
How deep is the bag ? Hard to tell in the picture. Does it actually go down behind the handlebar, or just small bag behind the shield?

It's deep enough to hold a smartphone, some gloves, cleaning rag. If I had to estimate I would guess 4.5"-6" deep?? Since my Bob Dron fairing sits on my clutch and brake master cylinders it makes the bag look like it sits on the bars but if there is a gap there it would sit in between the bars and fairing/windshield. This photo isn't a whole lot better but you can kind of see the side view:
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #134
dynamo78
Registered Full

Garage
That's not bad, but not quite what I had in mind. I'm looking for something that actually fits behind the fairing and goes a bit further down towards the headlight.
I'm thinking about making a mold of that space and have something fabricated. Not quite sure where/how/when though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1342550464.543262.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	185575  

" Seek and Destroy "
2008 VRSCDX
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #135
CPT America
Defender of Freedom

Quote:
That's not bad, but not quite what I had in mind. I'm looking for something that actually fits behind the fairing and goes a bit further down towards the headlight.
I'm thinking about making a mold of that space and have something fabricated. Not quite sure where/how/when though.

Gotcha. Go to a craft shop and get a big block of foam and just start trimming it down until you get the shape you want, then use that as your mold and lay some fiberglass over it. You'll probably have to make 2 molds, one for the body and one for the lid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement