Cranks but won't turn over - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 07-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Anibal
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cranks but won't turn over

Hey there, first post here on the forum. I recently switched off my VTX 1300 and got a clean VRSCB 05 V-ROD with only 7k miles on it. Unfortunately the previous owner I got it from left it sitting with gas in his garage. After about 30 miles or so it turned off on me. I was able to bring it over to a Harley dealer in which they told me the fuel pump was the issue, and as the 05 VROD parts were discontinued they tried to get to buy the newer model which would also require a full fuel module & conversion for the total price of $1200 in parts. As a sensible person and college student with low funds, I declined and found an aftermarket fuel pump online. Gave my fuel module a cleaning and installed the new pump. It worked perfectly fine for about a day, I'd say around 40 miles in it died on me again. Basically the motorcycle cranks, but does not start. I'm not that mechanically inclined but my uncle who is a car mechanic gave me a hand in checking some areas. The battery was a bit drained so I charged it up and still nothing was resolved. We removed the fuel module to check if the fuel pump is working, and it is. My uncle used one of his tools to check electric continuity through the wires under the seat, seemed all good. Finally we poured a bit of gasoline down the butterflies (throttle body - not really sure what the actual name is) and it appears that it starts for a couple seconds.

Any ideas on what I should check next? spark plugs? fuel injectors? I'm all ears.
Anibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
LL Cool K
Insane inda membrane

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Perhaps the fuel sock (pre-pump filter) is bad. Check this thread... https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351801

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In loving memory of Betty Boost! 1929-1996
Winner of the 2012 Midwest Thunder7 Johnny Hotfoot Award... Best Rat Bike!

LL Cool K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
pecee
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
check for mist in tank with key on,could be fractured fuel line in tank,get a guage and check pump pressure.
pecee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on and the run switch to run? Pull the two relays out and make sure there is no corrosion on the prongs or put in new ones, they are cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisement