Knocking and Death @6500 Miles - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Tucker 1371
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Knocking and Death @6500 Miles

Hey y’all. First post here and I wish it could be better. I purchased an 09 V Rod with 6100ish miles on it from a dealer here in East Tennessee. I rode it for a week putting about another 400 on it. My last ride, 7 days after purchase, I rode to the gas station and filled up with ethanol free 93 from about 1/4 tank. I rode for probably about another 20 miles give or take and find myself on the interstate with a bike that has begun making what sounds like rod knock, a high pitched metal-on-metal sound, and is now struggling to stay running and giving me an oil pressure light. I pull off onto the shoulder and the bike dies as I am letting off the clutch in 1st gear (that was fun).

After a few hours of being stranded I was picked up by a buddy with a trailer and we dropped it off at the dealership I bought it from. The bike has been there a week today and has not been looked at.

Has anyone here experienced an issue like this? If so what was the cause of the failure? Am I looking at a new engine? Top end rebuild? Where can I source parts?

Also, since I did not purchase the extended warranty but it happened in such a short time from the date of purchase what would you expect the dealer to do in this situation as far as billing?
Tucker 1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker 1371 View Post
Hey y’all. First post here and I wish it could be better. I purchased an 09 V Rod with 6100ish miles on it from a dealer here in East Tennessee. I rode it for a week putting about another 400 on it. My last ride, 7 days after purchase, I rode to the gas station and filled up with ethanol free 93 from about 1/4 tank. I rode for probably about another 20 miles give or take and find myself on the interstate with a bike that has begun making what sounds like rod knock, a high pitched metal-on-metal sound, and is now struggling to stay running and giving me an oil pressure light. I pull off onto the shoulder and the bike dies as I am letting off the clutch in 1st gear (that was fun).

After a few hours of being stranded I was picked up by a buddy with a trailer and we dropped it off at the dealership I bought it from. The bike has been there a week today and has not been looked at.

Has anyone here experienced an issue like this? If so what was the cause of the failure? Am I looking at a new engine? Top end rebuild? Where can I source parts?

Also, since I did not purchase the extended warranty but it happened in such a short time from the date of purchase what would you expect the dealer to do in this situation as far as billing?
Without tear down, hard to say but sounds like it lost oil pressure and took out the rod bearings or the rod bearing took a dump first, then pressure dropped. This is based on the sound description. Oil pressure drop can come from the loose tripple sprocket but I don't think to the damaging level, that fast. Only a teardown and inspection will determine what all was damaged. I think looking for a second engine, depending on what is found will be a cheaper method to go with if you can't do all the repairs yourself.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Tucker 1371
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Without tear down, hard to say but sounds like it lost oil pressure and took out the rod bearings or the rod bearing took a dump first, then pressure dropped. This is based on the sound description. Oil pressure drop can come from the loose tripple sprocket but I don't think to the damaging level, that fast. Only a teardown and inspection will determine what all was damaged. I think looking for a second engine, depending on what is found will be a cheaper method to go with if you can't do all the repairs yourself.
Ron
Thanks for the quick reply Ron. That what I’m afraid of. I’ve had and helped with a few project cars and usually those noises mean death. Don’t have access to a machine shop but I can certainly do an engine swap. I’ve noticed 1250 engines are somewhat difficult to come by online. Know of a place I could source one that doesn’t involve buying an entire salvage bike?

Old 08-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Ron. That what Im afraid of. Ive had and helped with a few project cars and usually those noises mean death. Dont have access to a machine shop but I can certainly do an engine swap. Ive noticed 1250 engines are somewhat difficult to come by online. Know of a place I could source one that doesnt involve buying an entire salvage bike?
True. Lots of 1130 stuff but did find this one.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2011-Harley-V...72725617&rt=nc
I've not check further and don't know if this one is still available.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Moler
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would really push the dealer for warranty. In Canada you have 30 day warranty from a dealer on used vehicles. Not sure about the States though. After such a short time and little miles after purchase, that would be my first option.
Moler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Tucker 1371
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moler View Post
I would really push the dealer for warranty. In Canada you have 30 day warranty from a dealer on used vehicles. Not sure about the States though. After such a short time and little miles after purchase, that would be my first option.
That’s what I’m really hoping for. But I did sign paperwork saying I was buying the bike as is without the warranty they offered. Legally I think they are obligated to do nothing. Even if they came back and said they would cover the labor but I had to buy the parts I would be pretty satisfied.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
knight rod rob
Registered Full

engine

Quote:
Thats what Im really hoping for. But I did sign paperwork saying I was buying the bike as is without the warranty they offered. Legally I think they are obligated to do nothing. Even if they came back and said they would cover the labor but I had to buy the parts I would be pretty satisfied.
I wonder if the trans output bearing failed and was not caught before engine damage. I remember when my first one failed, I just noticed the oil leaking at the seal. But bike was rolling good and I could not tell it was bad.
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
knight rod rob
Registered Full

[QUOTE=knight rod rob;4745919]I wonder if the trans output bearing failed and was not caught before engine damage. I remember when my first one failed, I just noticed the oil leaking at the seal. But bike was rolling good and I could not tell it was bad.Having an oil gage may have shown an eventual failure.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Tucker 1371
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
I wonder if the trans output bearing failed and was not caught before engine damage. I remember when my first one failed, I just noticed the oil leaking at the seal. But bike was rolling good and I could not tell it was bad.
I didn’t see any oil leaks, certainly nothing making it to the ground. My oil level full and I did not see any metal flakes or debris on the dipstick.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
knight rod rob
Registered Full

engine

Quote:
I didn’t see any oil leaks, certainly nothing making it to the ground. My oil level full and I did not see any metal flakes or debris on the dipstick.
You wont see it on dip stick, but u will see it on the magnetic drain plug. Just a thought on bearing, if its that bad you should see oil leaking around the pulley shaft where belt rides. That is surely low mileage. Unless its been rode hard.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #11
Tucker 1371
Registered Full

I didn’t baby it in the 400 miles I put on it but I didn’t abuse it either. I got it up in the upper quarter of the rev range at least a couple of times per ride but didn’t bang the rev limiter.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
knight rod rob
Registered Full

engine

Quote:
I didn’t baby it in the 400 miles I put on it but I didn’t abuse it either. I got it up in the upper quarter of the rev range at least a couple of times per ride but didn’t bang the rev limiter.
I meant before you bought it. Redlining it a bit dont hurt it. Let us know what is found.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Tucker 1371
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rod rob View Post
I meant before you bought it. Redlining it a bit dont hurt it. Let us know what is found.
It’s been sitting at the shop for longer than it was at my house now. They had a jr tech look at it and he heard “a noise” turned it off and passed it on to a Master Tech. They say he’ll get to it by the end of the week.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #14
TaxmanHog
Noel

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd expect to find main/rod bearing artifacts in the oil when they drop it.

Good luck, following this to hear what they find and a good solution, new crank, bearings rod's.

The case needs a good cleaning out if salvageable, which it should be.
60: 1.393
ET: 9.661
Mph: 139.34

Check Your Grounds
TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #15
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Sorry to hear that. Just know whatever they find wrong with it. It takes a week to get the parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement