TPS reset how to? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
Daze513
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TPS reset how to?

Hey guys does anybody have a definitive guide on how to do the TPS reset for a 2009 muscle?

I've seen several threads saying different things, but nothing definitive. Thanks.

- 2009 V-Rod VRSCF: V&H Competition Slip Ons, K&N Filter, Topless, PV w/ TT
Daze513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze513 View Post
Hey guys does anybody have a definitive guide on how to do the TPS reset for a 2009 muscle?

I've seen several threads saying different things, but nothing definitive. Thanks.
No such thing, regarding reset. There is no key on, key off crap to this. There are slight voltage adjustments possible with blade opening but if you remove and replace it, most fall in between .45-.47 volts due to the no clearance mounting holes. If you monkey with the throttle screws this can throw this off. The ECM sets the closed throttle to 0% tps when you turn the key on, regardless of slight blade opening changes you make manually. Key is, having the spec'd voltage at the same time and this usually, due to no clearance in the mounting holes for the TPS unit, falls into how much blade opening is present. Some of the guys using 58mm tb's alter the screw holes in the tps unit for extra adjustment.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
baro1220
Registered Full

Quote:

Whats is your issue with the TPS? Why do you need to reset it?
baro1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
Daze513
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by baro1220 View Post
Whats is your issue with the TPS? Why do you need to reset it?

On a cold start the throttle position jumps randomly from 0 to 1 or 2 percent. The Target tune has something to do with it, because as soon as I unplug it, it stops and holds at 0 on idle as it should. So this tells me the sensor is good. I found a video of someone with the same issue and itís identical to mine:

https://youtu.be/ZWAEd9I3Ap0

So I read on an airhead forum somewhere that a TPS reset would help the issues, but it may have been for Throttle by wire bikes. Either way I thought it would help.

If there is no reset for it then so be it. But if there was such a thing I wanted to try. Once the bike is at operating temp, at a redlight, it doesnít do it as much. Very seldomly if at all.

Oh well. Iíll try contacting Dynojet.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
On a cold start the throttle position jumps randomly from 0 to 1 or 2 percent. The Target tune has something to do with it, because as soon as I unplug it, it stops and holds at 0 on idle as it should. So this tells me the sensor is good. I found a video of someone with the same issue and itís identical to mine:

https://youtu.be/ZWAEd9I3Ap0

So I read on an airhead forum somewhere that a TPS reset would help the issues, but it may have been for Throttle by wire bikes. Either way I thought it would help.

If there is no reset for it then so be it. But if there was such a thing I wanted to try. Once the bike is at operating temp, at a redlight, it doesnít do it as much. Very seldomly if at all.

Oh well. Iíll try contacting Dynojet.
Recently helped a member here with the same issue. With TT the tps was jumping at idle 0-2% and without it had solid voltage and stayed at 0%. I believe he rewired it to a separate power B+ source and it was way more stable, with only the odd 0-1%. This was after having him chase all possible issues like throttle cables and such that could be the mechanical reasons. Yes it's def from the TT module and they basically said it was normal and nothing to worry about. Standard customer service response of course.
Ron
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Daze513
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Recently helped a member here with the same issue. With TT the tps was jumping at idle 0-2% and without it had solid voltage and stayed at 0%. I believe he rewired it to a separate power B+ source and it was way more stable, with only the odd 0-1%. This was after having him chase all possible issues like throttle cables and such that could be the mechanical reasons. Yes it's def from the TT module and they basically said it was normal and nothing to worry about. Standard customer service response of course.

Ron

Iíll look at that option. The wiring right now is nice since it all plug and play. So Iíd hate to splice and stuff. But Iíll see what else I can do. It doesnít really affect much honestly. And Iím my case once the gas is wicked a few times it goes away. But still my OCD doesnít like to see the TPS jump at idle. Thanks anyways fellas

Old 08-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Iíll look at that option. The wiring right now is nice since it all plug and play. So Iíd hate to splice and stuff. But Iíll see what else I can do. It doesnít really affect much honestly. And Iím my case once the gas is wicked a few times it goes away. But still my OCD doesnít like to see the TPS jump at idle. Thanks anyways fellas
His handle here is Upnorthbiker. Give him a shout via PM and compare notes.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement