Regulator Question - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 08-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
Mromaus
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regulator Question

Hi folks,

So I tried this question on the mechanical side and didn't get a response. So I am going to try here.

My charging system has failed at about 14K. Typically it is recommended replacing both the regulator and the stator. I will have Rick's rewind the stator. I do plan on testing the stator, but my experience is that once one goes the other follows.

How are the after market regulators? I was looking at the drag version. It says "solid state" I have not had the opportunity to research that term when it comes to regulators.

Does anyone have an experience with these?

Also, I feel 14K is a bit early for this repair, what are the thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Mromaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mromaus View Post
Hi folks,

So I tried this question on the mechanical side and didn't get a response. So I am going to try here.

My charging system has failed at about 14K. Typically it is recommended replacing both the regulator and the stator. I will have Rick's rewind the stator. I do plan on testing the stator, but my experience is that once one goes the other follows.

How are the after market regulators? I was looking at the drag version. It says "solid state" I have not had the opportunity to research that term when it comes to regulators.

Does anyone have an experience with these?

Also, I feel 14K is a bit early for this repair, what are the thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Solid state huh? I think mechanical regulators went out in the mid 60s along with generators. Anyway, there are several replacements in the $55 area. Electronics are flakey for life spans. Some crap out , out of the blue and others last forever. Luck of the draw, basically. Same with stators. No way to know how much extra loading a faulty regulator placed on it , so I guess either a rewind or replacement is an option. Not always needed though.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Mromaus
Registered Full

I was thinking the same thing regarding "solid state".

So I finally looked it up. A traditional regulator uses switches, my guess (with limited technical knowledge) is that it is a similar idea to a relay. Though a regulator and a relay have different functions.

Instead of switches it appears that a solid state regulator uses diodes and transistors to regulate the voltage coming from the stator.

I typically order the OEM version. In this case I am considering the DS one in hopes that it is more reliable than the HD.

At the same time I have not tested the regulator yet.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing regarding "solid state".

So I finally looked it up. A traditional regulator uses switches, my guess (with limited technical knowledge) is that it is a similar idea to a relay. Though a regulator and a relay have different functions.

Instead of switches it appears that a solid state regulator uses diodes and transistors to regulate the voltage coming from the stator.

I typically order the OEM version. In this case I am considering the DS one in hopes that it is more reliable than the HD.

At the same time I have not tested the regulator yet.
2007 VRSCX 185,000 miles.
I replaced my Stator once. Didn't fix the problem. The regulator has never been replaced. 12 years of reliability here.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Mromaus
Registered Full

Good to know. I was reading another thread that was saying that the stator may fail but not the regulators.

What was the issue in your case?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
mikes06rod
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had to replace my regulator at about 25K miles , it was draining battery on long spells of not running . I'm still on the original stator , 64K now . '06-D
mikes06rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
Mromaus
Registered Full

I think this weekend I will test both parts and see where I am at.

It appears that the reliability of these charging systems differs from my experience with Japanese and Euro bikes.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
dzionbluz
Registered Full

Mine has been fine for about 1 1/2 years now.
Can't really say what other brands are doing.
I did get mine from Harley dealer.
The stator checked out just fine.
You can also learn how to check them both on YouTube so you won't get buffaloed . Very simple process once you get into it.
Best of luck
dzionbluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
Lawnmower
Registered Full

My regulator died at 35000 kilometres changed out no problems elsewhere. Now at 64000 kilometres. I hope I haven't jinxed myself. As previous post with electrical sometimes last longer and sometimes they dont.
Lawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Still on the OEM stator & regulator on my "R" model @ close to 40,000 miles.

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #11
Mromaus
Registered Full

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the feedback. I do have look up how to test the regulator again, it has been a while since I have done it. I know it is a simple process.

I will get to work on that this week end, and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #12
Mromaus
Registered Full

Just an update.

The regulator is bad. The test has four parts to it. It failed the one where the positive of the multi-meter is on the negative and the negative of the multi-meter is checking the three pins.

I am on the fence about trying the DS version of this regulator. I typically go OEM for this, but I do feel that 15k is a little soon for that repair.

I did not test the stator (I think there is a simple test for that too), but I opened the case and it looks pretty healthy. Typically they get dark, like burnt looking when they go bad. I may send it out to get rewound anyway by Rick's since the engine is open. I have never replaced a stator made by Rick's.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Just an update.

The regulator is bad. The test has four parts to it. It failed the one where the positive of the multi-meter is on the negative and the negative of the multi-meter is checking the three pins.

I am on the fence about trying the DS version of this regulator. I typically go OEM for this, but I do feel that 15k is a little soon for that repair.

I did not test the stator (I think there is a simple test for that too), but I opened the case and it looks pretty healthy. Typically they get dark, like burnt looking when they go bad. I may send it out to get rewound anyway by Rick's since the engine is open. I have never replaced a stator made by Rick's.

Thanks again guys.
Take the time and check the stator. It takes about 30 seconds or less. Electrical connectors or winding's can open up and you will never see it via visual inspection.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 08-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #14
Mromaus
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Take the time and check the stator. It takes about 30 seconds or less. Electrical connectors or winding's can open up and you will never see it via visual inspection.
Thanks Rusty.

So I did take the time to test the stator. While the stator passed the test a second visual inspection left me wanting to replace it as opposed to have it rewound.

I am guessing my bike sat for a while prior to me purchasing it, and a couple of the prongs of the stator are corroded pretty bad. My guess is the stator may not be as efficient as it should be and as a result shortened the life of the regulator.

So... I am just going to replace both.

It sucks because I just spend about 2k putting the bike together after the crash in May, but it is what it is.

I will send pics next weekend when I take the stator out of the case. I didn't feel like cutting the wires until I have a new one.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #15
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Corrosion is never good. You are smart to replace it now instead of waiting for another failure that could be hard to diagnose.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement