Air box logo removal - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
zantegr
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air box logo removal

Is there any way to remove the Harley logo from a 2002 anodised airbox. Not sure if it is a sticker or painted on, it is not an emblem though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/soa44gvowr..._2735.jpg?dl=0

Thank you
zantegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
zantegr
Registered Full

Really could use some help here
Old 04-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Check with your Harley dealer. I believe those items are available in their Paint Catalog. It may give you a clue a to their makeup.
'
AND
'
I may be totally wrong but I seem to recall posts about guys that needed individual letters because the originals fell off. SO maybe the letters are individually purchased. Again check with your Harley dealer.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Check with your Harley dealer. I believe those items are available in their Paint Catalog. It may give you a clue a to their makeup.
'
AND
'
I may be totally wrong but I seem to recall posts about guys that needed individual letters because the originals fell off. SO maybe the letters are individually purchased. Again check with your Harley dealer.
Thank you for the reply Rusty,

I followed your advice and gave the dealer a ring. You are 100% correct, the logo is painted on using a silkscreen process.

I was thinking of removing the logo from the 02 air box as I have damaged my 2003 airbox and adding the 03 emblems on to the 2002. I was advised that a paint remover or similar would remove the logo without damaging the anodising, However it would definitely cause a ghosting where the logo was. So I have decided to keep looking for an 03 air box and keep the 02 on the bike until I find one.

Appreciate your help
Old 04-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Have you tried E-Bay. Bunch of them there.
BTW. I had a slight accident where the Air box got dented. I had it repaired. Don't know how they did it but it looks perfect. I fell off my bike and went boomies. Handle bars twisted the left a big dent in the right side of the air box. Maybe you can find a metal shop somewhere that can repair your broke one. Then a master painter.

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:50 AM   #6
zantegr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
Have you tried E-Bay. Bunch of them there.
BTW. I had a slight accident where the Air box got dented. I had it repaired. Don't know how they did it but it looks perfect. I fell off my bike and went boomies. Handle bars twisted the left a big dent in the right side of the air box. Maybe you can find a metal shop somewhere that can repair your broke one. Then a master painter.

I have been looking on eBay but none of the covers are the anodised 03 version. I actually purchased the anodised 02 air box so I can have an undamaged cover on the bike until I find one that suits. I looked into removing the 02 logo (it’s silkscreened, painted on) but if I do strip the logo it will leave a ghosting on the air box so when I put on the 03 emblems on you will still see the outlines of the old logo

Never realised how painful this would be. Going to build an armored box for the next one lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement