VRSCA tachometer not responding - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Technical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
stevexmoto
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation VRSCA tachometer not responding

Hello Folks. Recently picked up a well maintained, low miles 2003 V-Rod. Great bike, with some almost too loud BUB pipes. (Which I can't identify but that's another thread).

One minor issue I've found is that the tach doesn't work properly. When the ignition goes to the ACC position it doesn't sweep and when the bike is running it's either at "0" or just below 1000 rpm and may fall back to zero. If I rev the engine it quickly it will jump to 2 or 3k, then sit there for a few seconds and drop back to 0 or a few hundred RPM.

Is the gauge itself likely to be shot or might I get lucky and it's a loose ground or wire somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
stevexmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevexmoto View Post
Recently picked up a well maintained, low miles 2003 V-Rod....
... the tach doesn't work properly. When the ignition goes to the ACC position it doesn't sweep and when the bike is running it's either at "0" or just below 1000 rpm and may fall back to zero. If I rev the engine it quickly it will jump to 2 or 3k, then sit there for a few seconds and drop back to 0 or a few hundred RPM.

Is the gauge itself likely to be shot or might I get lucky and it's a loose ground or wire somewhere?...
I would first check for DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes). This post explains how to read and clear DTCs on the early model VRSC bikes (2002 to 2006).

Next, I would check the ground at the rear cylinder head (under the air filter box) as the most likely culprit. In this picture the ground point is marked as 8, 9, and 10.

This ground connects to IM (instrument module) terminal #5.

You should also check the BATTERY and ACCY circuits. The BATTERY fuse feeds a R/O (red with orange stripe) wire that connects to the IM terminal #1. The ACCY fuse feed a O/W (orange with white stripe) wire that connects to the IM terminal #12.

If these all check-out OK then either the CKP (crankshaft position sensor), CKP connector or wires, or the ECM (electronic control module) are bad.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
stevexmoto
Registered Full

No diagnostic codes fortunately.

Checked and cleaned the grounds you pointed out, however the issue persists. When I went into DIAG mode the fuel and speedo did a full sweep. (Well the speedo usually does it) but the tach is pinned at max .

What's involved in checking the BATT and ACCY circuits? Still learning!

Thanks again!

Old 04-04-2019, 05:24 AM   #4
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevexmoto View Post
No diagnostic codes fortunately.

Checked and cleaned the grounds you pointed out, however the issue persists. When I went into DIAG mode the fuel and speedo did a full sweep. (Well the speedo usually does it) but the tach is pinned at max .

What's involved in checking the BATT and ACCY circuits? Still learning...
If you're able to run diagnostics you've already confirmed that the ACCY and BATTERY circuits are OK.

If your tach is pinned at max you likely have a bad IM.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
stevexmoto
Registered Full

Thanks for the quick reply. If it's likely to be the IM I think I will be running without a tach given the prices they are commanding. I appreciate your help.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
stevexmoto
Registered Full

A little update...

Took the cluster apart and removed the tach needle to see if maybe it was misaligned. To my surprise when I powered it up with the bezel cover off it moved but it turned backwards, counter-clockwise. Ok... thought maybe it goes through a calibration to see where it's limits are so I put the cover back on and did the WOW test in the ACC position and it ran up to 7k, turned red and went back to zero.

Repeated the test a few times and it worked for a bit then wouldn't move again during the test. Took the cover off, powered it up and it did the backwards thing again where it would point to the speedometer. Not sure what all this means other than it's borked somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement