ported heads - Page 7 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Hi-Performance
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #91
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampboogiedoug View Post
Well, how do we improve it ? Discussion ?
Well, what's kept me from one way valving the crankcase is an unknown in the design. Take any single cyl or variation of a v twin and just about all of them have a one way valve in them to bring the case to static or slight vac. The unknown here is why wasn't it done with the Revolution. Is there some underlying design intent regarding long term lubrication in some part of the engine or trans that a one way case venting could screw up some? I've not come up with the answer yet.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #92
stever975
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabos View Post
Well, what's kept me from one way valving the crankcase is an unknown in the design.
A quick search located a few threads where other forum members tried check valves to improve on the OEM crankcase vent system; e.g. this one.
In this thread an aftermarket oil catch can, check valves, and the MotoHooligan airbox are all discussed. (Ron, you posted in this thread).
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #93
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever975 View Post
A quick search located a few threads where other forum members tried check valves to improve on the OEM crankcase vent system; e.g. this one.
In this thread an aftermarket oil catch can, check valves, and the MotoHooligan airbox are all discussed. (Ron, you posted in this thread).
Thanks for reminding me about repeating myself.
I did however come up with a one way breather valve head that replaced the existing cansister cap which a hose could exit out the bottom of the breather box and either to a catch can or just under the bike. Got as far as a quick sketch but no actual prints. I'm retired now so no machine shop available and not a lot of interest to pursue it. Me personally I get very little oil in the box but I do see some carbon on the intake valves from oil misting.
Ron

Old 04-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #94
Knut J
VRSC est -03

and https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showth...power+vent+kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #95
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut J View Post
Knut: Those power vents haven't been available for quite some time now.
Ron
Old 04-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #96
johnr204
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
But if anyone has a set they will part with, message me!!!!!!! 🙂
johnr204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #97
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Interesting post here on detonation; https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...-applications/ Awhile back we had some discussion on the Delco Ion sensing algorithm. I still feel I'm better off to build a tune that doesn't detonate rather than band aid a bad tune. Comments ?
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #98
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Interesting post here on detonation; https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...-applications/ Awhile back we had some discussion on the Delco Ion sensing algorithm. I still feel I'm better off to build a tune that doesn't detonate rather than band aid a bad tune. Comments ?
Agreed, but without a knock detection system in place how will you detect said knock to tune it out?

Reading plugs?
"Listening"?

See where I am going with this? I can elaborate much more, but the point is not to let the knock detection system of choice "save" you, but rather provide a critical piece of data to review and then work around (i.e. I had some knock counts at load X so I need to cut back timing there and add some fuel). No data? No way you will fight the knock effectively (or safely). At best you would be guessing.
freudie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #99
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Freudie, We're talking chicken vs the egg, I know. I'd use the algorithm if it was available, but its not. So either option requires a work around, right ? If I data log detonation, I still have to accurately figure out the cause to correct it. The link gives some great cause/effect explanations. Please keep posting & making recommendations, the dialog is great.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #100
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

I had a thread about water/meth injection in another header. Has anyone built a system ? By injecting pre-compressor it seems we could lower intake air temps to increase charge density and increase anti knock potential from the mixture.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #101
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
I had a thread about water/meth injection in another header. Has anyone built a system ? By injecting pre-compressor it seems we could lower intake air temps to increase charge density and increase anti knock potential from the mixture.
For a street application you are better off with an efficient air-air intercooler (or possibly air-water...but we are already constrained for space on a bike).

Meth or water injection works...but A. Is limited to the amount of meth or water on board of course B. Meth is VERY corrosive. I would only use this on a bike/car that you purge the tank and lines after using.

FYI...water injection has been used in airplanes since I believe WW2. Cool history.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #102
freudie1
Registered Full

Quote:
Freudie, We're talking chicken vs the egg, I know. I'd use the algorithm if it was available, but its not. So either option requires a work around, right ? If I data log detonation, I still have to accurately figure out the cause to correct it. The link gives some great cause/effect explanations. Please keep posting & making recommendations, the dialog is great.
Hah! You are opening Pandora's Box again so to speak.

I've made it very clear I don't recommend using anything except the oem Delphi controller for these bikes. No one has yet to make a convincing argument that the aftermarket (other than perhaps an all out race application) make sense for these bikes. You lose way too much functionality (ion-sensing being one of them). And once again...YES you can run boost and have timing/fueling changes based on MAP sensor readings with the Delphi unit. I know some members want to argue/disagree with me endlessly on that....so be it.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #103
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Freudie,, Post some screen shots & instructions on how to link & change the tables. What are some of the other functions ? Thanks
Old 06-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #104
JJrod
Registered Full

Post from Karzza 9 years ago

I have been using 2bar Delphi MAP (16235939) with SERT, and calculated downscaling
by using Delphis V output formulas.

SERT -> Real pressure
10kPa -> 7kPa
20kPa -> 28kPa
30kPa -> 50kPa
40kPa -> 71kPa
50kPa -> 92kPa
60kPa -> 113kPa
70kPa -> 134kPa
80kPa -> 156kPa
90kPa -> 177kPa
100kPa -> 198kPa

Downscaling means, what you have currently defined for example 90kPa you have to move value to 50Kpa position or fr 30Kpa to 20kPa.
From 60kPa up you have to invent figures by yourself.

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showth...sing+stock+ecm

But in the long run he went with the VRFI and never regretted it.

Karzza and Jan-Dirk are the kings of the Boosted V-Rod. Along with a lot of blown engines that were sacrificed for development and always looking to improving it. Along with the wealth of information that they are willing to share with the forum.
JJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement