2003 VRCSA Solenoid problem - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Specific Model > VRSCA , VRSCAW
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 01-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Jakellwood
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 2003 VRSCA Solenoid problem

Can't find anybody that sells or makes the solenoid for the 2003 V-Rod. Hoping to not have to buy a used one. Some quick searches led me to believe I could put on a starter button as a solution. J&P Cycles shows a push button when you search for a solenoid, doesn't look likes it will work. Is there another solenoid out there that is a suitable replacement part. I know its just a simple switch. Bike starts if I jump across the solenoid. Frustrated after talking to dealer and J&P cycle Parts. Aghh!

Last edited by Jakellwood; 01-05-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jakellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
JJrod
Registered Full

Check your other post on the same subject..
FYI when you jump the solenoid/relay, you are just bypassing it. Did you check for the power to the exciter field on the solenoid??
Did you check the micro starter relay???
JJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
Jakellwood
Registered Full

Thumbs up Solenoid for 2003 VRSCA V-Rod

Thank you for the reply. My first thought was the rely. Eliminated that as a possibility, then jumped the solenoid, after first checking wires. Everything looked good. Pretty sure it is a bad solenoid. Got one on order. Problem for me is getting the part. Surprised I found one on Ebay, never bought anything on Ebay before. Should get the part next week.
Jakellwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
[email protected]
Registered Full

Hi all. Any thoughts on why the v-rod wants to re start itself after switching off? Thanks for any help.Dave.
davedrecker@hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi all. Any thoughts on why the v-rod wants to re start itself after switching off? Thanks for any help.Dave.
If you mean starter keeps turning engine over , the contacts in the solenoid are stuck closed. Replace the solenoid.
Ron
rbabos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
[email protected]
Registered Full

Thanks for your help Ron. Yes starter keeps turning over. Can that be an intermittent issue with the solenoid or once the solenoid has failed it is in need of replacement.Dave.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
[email protected]
Registered Full

Sorry Ron, To be specific This has happened only once. But had to stall the rod to shut it down. Shut off switch & key removed didn't stop starter from turning over.Thanks Dave.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Sorry Ron, To be specific This has happened only once. But had to stall the rod to shut it down. Shut off switch & key removed didn't stop starter from turning over.Thanks Dave.
Happening once, indicates some serious arc damage to the internal contacts, so it will likely happen again. Just so I'm clear on this, the engine had stopped firing when switch was off but starter kept trying to turn it over?
Ron
Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
[email protected]
Registered Full

Sorry for the delay in replying Ron.Was waiting on my son to clarify. He says it is as you asked, the starter continued to try and crank the engine after engine stopped switch off and key removed. Thanks again for any help.Dave
Old 01-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #10
rbabos
Registered Full

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in replying Ron.Was waiting on my son to clarify. He says it is as you asked, the starter continued to try and crank the engine after engine stopped switch off and key removed. Thanks again for any help.Dave
Def a stuck solenoid then. I'd replace it, as at some point it might not kick out.
Ron
Old 01-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
[email protected]
Registered Full

Thanks Ron will do. Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement