WARNING!!! Failure Rear brake Nightrod Special 2008 - Page 3 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #31
Stran8n
ZweiRäd Teufel Hund

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the heads up! After reading this thread I checked mine too. I can slip a finger between the line and the exhaust, so it seems ok for now. I'll keep an eye on it. But it seems that much heat in close proximity to the brake line can be detrimental to braking anyway. What do I know though? I don't engineer 'em, I just ride 'em!

STRAN
Stran8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #32
v-rog
Tragic Pessimist?

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Thumbs up checked my set-up

just to be safe, I checked my '08 AW brake line- the brake line routing is excellent. Thanks.

'08 VRSCDXAW
-Vivid Black w/ denim racing stripes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v-rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #33
12XBL

Thanks for the heads up guys ..... this is what forums are all about !

I just checked my two week old DX and guess what, 1/8th" clearance only between the pipe and exhaust. As a temporary measure I slightly loosened the fitting at the master cylinder and rotated the pipe down, it now sits right against the frame with over 1/2" of clearance. I will be bringing it up with the dealer though.
12XBL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #34
lerock
No Bar Too Far

If the MOCO won't do anything about this, then we all need to contact the NTSB & they will force a fix. Even if the line doesn't burn, the fluid can boil & make the rears usless. This looks like an idea of an industrial engineer whose job is to cost reduce, & have no clue about product function.

Denim 'DX "Slugo" R.I.P.
Go ahead, try to ride it now!
SSHWFGD(ret)

If you don't make dust... you eat it...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #35
LorAnimal
Registered Full

Grazie Nomad - ME HA SALVATA CULO! Yup went out to the garage and my line was touching the pipe. Was able to adjust/bend it off for a good 1/4 air gap now. If that sucker wasn't metal - I'd of been walking long ago.

Amazing how someone so far away can help...I love the internets.
LorAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #36
newsrider

Hey Spaz, where are you? What country?
newsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #37
mjolnir2thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12XBL View Post
Thanks for the heads up guys ..... this is what forums are all about !

I just checked my two week old DX and guess what, 1/8th" clearance only between the pipe and exhaust. As a temporary measure I slightly loosened the fitting at the master cylinder and rotated the pipe down, it now sits right against the frame with over 1/2" of clearance. I will be bringing it up with the dealer though.
I just checked my 1 day old (took delivery today) DX and it was the same as yours! I also moved it out about 3/8" away from the hot pipe. This should be enough.

(TheNomad - Thanks for passing along the information!!! )

Just a word of caution, when you loosened the fitting, you may have let some air bleed into the system so you may want to have the brakes bled. If you apply constant pressure on the peddle and your foot sinks, you have air in your lines.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #38
kjell
Registered Full

Dx

thank's for the information, just went out to check it mine is ok
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #39
kjell
Registered Full

I forward this on a norwegian HD forum since i belive this is s serious safety issue ! thank's again for the info.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #40
brianlivestorid

The rear brake failed on my 07 VRSCAW during a 4 day rideout in Wales, resulting in a fire from brake fluid igniting on the hot exhaust. It made riding the hills and valley's in pouring rain more interesting, though I can't say it really caused any great drama.

The Oxford UK dealership fixed it under warranty (it was their ex demo bike) although the warranty had expired. I expected nothing less, as this had potentially serious safety implications and strongly feel there should have been a Factory recall on this. Oh yes, I had the fuel sender unit failure as well!! The replacement is not always 100 percent reliable either.

Brian
brianlivestorid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #41
00ttvr6
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
is there a bulliten number or a part number for the new style?
PCV, 250 Duncrap, xr1200 h/l trim
Custom side mount plate
Muscle wheels

04 Dyna
08 Duramax
09 G8 GT
00ttvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #42
dt057
Registered Full

Same thing happened on my 09 NRS. The brake line was touching the exhaust at the start of the end cans. First ride from the shop brand new, burnt the brake line and let oil out over exhaust.
dt057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #43
00ttvr6
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ttt for new style pn
PCV, 250 Duncrap, xr1200 h/l trim
Custom side mount plate
Muscle wheels

04 Dyna
08 Duramax
09 G8 GT
00ttvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #44
Louis
Posting From The Pub

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Slightly off topic, but braking with just the rear brake, other than for slalom work in traffic, is asking for it anyway.

Arnotts, D&D, SEPST, custom paint or all chrome according to mood, GRC seat, wave rotors, Muscle wheels, Burleigh bars, V-Gauge, assorted pretty bits.

2007 VRSC-AW (Fun).
2007 KTM 990 Adventure (Off Road and Touring).
2006 Triumph Daytona T955i (Evil).
2009 Fatboy (Heavily Tarted Up Show Pony).
2011 Bonneville (On long term loan).
1978 Triumph Bonneville Based Racer (Needs A Rebuild)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #45
joeV76
Iron_HorseV76

so what would you say is a good minimum safe clearance for the oil pipe and exhaust?
joeV76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement