Fuel Line Damage - WARNING - Page 5 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #61
crvte84
Flamed Rod

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm glad I checked mine, There is some wear on both lines on the top and bottom. Then I also seen that my overflow hose was off and looked closer and the nipple broke off the lid of the resivor in the from right. I will be calling the dealer on these things now.

SKI, did you find anything from the MoCo yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darrin
2003 V-ROD
custom flamed paint
PCIIIUSB
Jug Huggers
lowered
crvte84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #62
mtbtreker
Registered Full

may of 02, 16k miles. mesh worn through with scuffing on inner line. wrapped with another hose. thanks for the info.
mtbtreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #63
RodRob

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My '04 with 8000 mi. is worn through the mesh in two places. One next to the coil bolt and the other toward the front near the connection to the injector tubes. Use zip ties to secure the lines and will keep my eye on them.

Thanks a bunch.

Rob
RodRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #64
bikerdave
'02 V-Rod #1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin_Freddie
...Both my fuel lines lay between the cam covers running front to back and down in the 'valley' between the cam covers, well below the hex head bolts.
I'd bet that the hoses are supposed to be routed in this manner and if they are, there will be no problem for the life of the bike. That's what my new ones are like. As to why some fit and some don't, it may be an issue of training, or lack of detail on the manufacturing drawing for the fuel line manufacturing personnel at the MoCo or subcontractor that makes these hoses. When I saw the replacement hoses as compared to the damaged ones, they were significantly different. The new ones had a purposeful shape to them, the original ones looked "approximate". My guess is that they've changed something along the way. If the ones that are now installed from the factory are as nice as the ones I now have, they've addressed the problem and we may never hear of it again. However, if it was a problem once, it may be again. I base that on my 15+ years in manufacturing where "forever" is rarely longer than 2 years.
bikerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:11 PM   #65
Arvid Hall
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I checked mine tonight and found the outer covering worn through. I will take care of the problem. I will have to thank this forum for all of the useful information I have obtained since joining.
Arvid Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #66
redbud

Checked my 02 20,000 miles today. No wear yet but ziptied to keep it that way. Where else would we get this kind of a heads up. thanks everybody.
redbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:55 PM   #67
Bobsquatch
Professional Expert

This is why we have this site, to help keep each other informed. I have 378 miles on my new ride and checked it out today. fuel line is making contact with frame and connector. Zero damage because it was detected so early so I just cushioned it with some dense foam padding I have lying around and will inspect periodically. Thanks for the info that prevented immanent damage to what is fast becoming my most favorite bike ever.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #68
Bobsquatch
Professional Expert

By the way, this is the type of dangerous problem that is a real candidate for reporting to the NTSHA. If mine had actually leaked fuel I would have made the call.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:09 AM   #69
Whitelighter
Vroddin' Madman

My '02 had the same wearing as most others here, braid worn through with some wear into the hose itself. I zipped it up away from the coil bolt but am concerned about the zip strip causing wear - what do you think??

Scott Frey
Robins Air Force Base, Georgia
Middle Georgia's Riding Ravens
Whitelighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #70
ToddFather

This is exactly the type of stuff one would hope for in a site such as this! Thanks for the warning. I spent the couple of minutes required and checked my '03, and found very minute indications of rubbing. Nothing worn through, so I simply added a small piece of 'sticky-back' rubber foam tape between the lower/right hose and the bolt.

This brings up another question, though. Would it be worthy to have a link (if there isn't one already) for some "must check" safety issues for our bikes? I'm sure some of the 'veterans' of this site have heard most everything and would have some great suggestions to every new V-Rod owner. Just a thought....as I'd hate to be the guy broken down on the side of the road just because I didn't check something simple like this.

Thanks again for info.
ToddFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #71
Tommy1

My 03 had wear on the sheathing on both lines. Thank you all for the info.
Tommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #72
banglenot
'02 Anodized Club

It winter --check this!!!

My '02 had definite wear, with only 3K miles on the bike. Anyone with an '02 or '03 should do this.

A cabletie looped around the wiring harness and the lines, tightened just enough to lift the lines off the coil mounting bolt, does the trick very nicely. Takes 5 minutes.

Damn, I'm tired of winter.....

(Formerly) 02 VSRC 28T RT SE/AF SE Slip-ons Heavycycles LED Tailight Progressive springs
banglenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #73
Bobsquatch
Professional Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelighter
My '02 had the same wearing as most others here, braid worn through with some wear into the hose itself. I zipped it up away from the coil bolt but am concerned about the zip strip causing wear - what do you think??

Todfather and I both avoided the zip tie cure and used padding instead. if you use tie wraps be sure to cushion the contact area with tape or some other shielding so the ties dont break or wear thru what they are trying to protect.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #74
ohnoasho

thanks for the heads up!! my 03 w/3700 rounds just started to show wear!
ohnoasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #75
Ricky G.

Checked both lines ...No wear at all.....03 with 7800 miles ...Dam guys now I want to spend a little more time in the living room cleaning on it ....

Yes I said living room ....Its big enough and at least the wife can be with me in the same room ..... O well I know I have issues ....
Advertisement