Fuel Line Damage - WARNING - Page 2 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-04-2004, 05:54 PM   #16
dipper

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Once again... a website worthy of its name.

Mine is worn through on the lower feed. Zip tied it off for the time being until I have the fuel gauge issue, alt cover leak and mushy clutch fixed.

Thanks Bikerdave... you may have saved some of us from going down the highway in a ball of flames.

-Dipper
dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #17
Max
Color me Gone

Feedback Score: 66 reviews
I just got the chance to check mine and it looked just like Okie's. I took a piece of spark plug wire loom and wrapped around mine to protect it. Jeannie's had a gap in between it and the coil bolt but I put a piece of wrap on it anyway.

Again thanks for the heads up bikerdave and I suggest everyone make sure to check this ASAP.

Max

The road of life sometimes seems full of potholes. RIP Jeannie, Alex and Brian. I'll never forget any of you.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #18
bikerdave
'02 V-Rod #1910

The damage on mine was on both lines. The left one (kiskstand side) was all the way through and the other was only about 1/2 way through the plastic hose. The attached photo shows the position of the fuel lines as they existed before the repair. The replacement ones are right on top of the valve cover, at least 1/2" below the connector.

I believe the abrasion was not caused by the coil pack bolt as suggested by VrodG.

OKIE's photo looks like that may be the case on his, but mine were both abraded on the top side of the hoses, not on the side or on the bottom.

Ski said "Check your front motor mount". Mine looks in tact, nothing out of the ordinary there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Rod-Fuel-Line-Location.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	16330  
bikerdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #19
kreator

My rod was born 5/02 and everything checked out OK.. I have a cm of clearance.
kreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:06 AM   #20
SKIROD
MASTER VR TECH

O.K. This is something I will check. And get the MOCOs attention. Later Ski.
SKIROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:08 AM   #21
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
bikerdave Mine is worn on the inside hose closest to the coil pack and the other one looked good. but will look again!!!!! Thanks Greg

PS... I Went back and looked at your pic and my lines are lower and to the left, the bolt that your lines are laying on is the one that rubs my inside line .. Hope this help someone.
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #22
Panman
Registered Full

Mine is worn through on the lower feed. Mine is worn on the inside hose closest to the coil pack and the other one looked good.

BikerDave, Your lines are longer than mine which forces them to the top and the bracket. Mine settle into the space where the coil bolt makes contact.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 AM   #23
VrodG
Greg/Moderator

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Panman same here
VrodG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:15 AM   #24
bikerdave
'02 V-Rod #1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman
BikerDave, Your lines are longer than mine which forces them to the top and the bracket. Mine settle into the space where the coil bolt makes contact.
Panman, the old ones DO appear to be longer. The replacements I now have fit nicely. They are right on top of the cam cover and over to the left. I think I will put a piece of hose or similar on them to protect them nonetheless!

More later,
bikerdave
bikerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:45 AM   #25
v_cruz
V-ROD User

Thanks for the heads up. Took a look under the hood I have some ware but not bad. Have to keep an eye on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel line 1.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	16379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel line 2.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	16380  
v_cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #26
Jp96
Registered Full

First i just want to add this site is the best !! I checked it out on my bike (03 with 6k) and i had it the same as in the picture of v cruz's bike, it had worn through the outer covering on the line next to the coil, i wrapped it in some hose and snugged it with ziptie. I will just keep an eye on it. Thanx again .
Jp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #27
v-robb
Talk to the boot!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Two more V-Rods have this damage.
My buddy Daryll's '02 ser#1121 w/20k mi has the damage on the line next to the coil mount. Just some light damage on the sheathing, none on fuel line so far. The upper line also had the same type and level of damage.
Mine, on the other hand, has some pretty severe damage. Also an '02 ser#4494 but with 26k mi the line next to the coil mount was almost eaten completely through! The upper line had the sheathing eating completely through, but the line is still good. I'm glad we're all sharing this stuff! I already got some tubing around both, and will fortify it with some auto heater hose this weekend!
EVERYONE CHECK THIS OUT. NOT COOL
I got my V-Rod back when they came in only one color, AND WE LIKED IT!
Hail the Anodized Nation!
v-robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #28
SKIROD
MASTER VR TECH

Well as most of you know how H-D keeps us up to date, Most of the time. But this one has puzzeled me. This is clearly a Safety Isuue. I have yet to see this, But I am Checking. But here is what puzzles me, And to a Tech. kinda scary. Now don't be alarmed. I will be face to Face with the MOCO on this in less than 2 weeks and will call sooner. Keep an eye on these lines for now. O.K. this is what I know. There have been a few broken front motor mounts, I even changed one myself. We know H-D has changed the front one for the '05s. Why?? Could it be there is a vibration, even with a good motor mount that can have an effect on the lines being so close to the coil pack and frame?? Don't know? But I did look at an '05 today and there is a double sheath on the fuel lines. HMMM???? I'll find out, and post as soon as I can. so just Keep an eye on them. Later Ski.
SKIROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #29
vbones

Thanks to "bikerdave"for passing on the info on his fuel line problem.Its the members that make this forum the outstanding source that it is.
I checked mine as soon as I read the thread,and found significant wear on the inboard line where it rests against the coil bolt.Close to being through the shielding,but not quite,added another layer of shielding.Another item to keep an eye on,should do the job.
Appears to be two different wear points in same general area due to either line length,or routing.My lines lay fairly snug against lower cam cover between upper cam cover and coil bolt.
Bike is 03 with 09/02 build date 9k mi.
vbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #30
redrazor
Diesel Smoke Tester

No problems,....yet!

Thanks for the heads up tip. I checked mine real close, and found no wear spots. I'll keep my eye on it.
redrazor

'03 Black & Silver;Rinehart Pipes w/baffles;
K&N Filter w/mod air top; SE1 flash.
PCIIIr w/809-028 map; Floorboards;
Wind Vest windshield; re-lo frt signals;
Doc's Tail Light; Superbrace on forks;
lots of chrome; V-mod bag supports.
redrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement