cooling fan + fuse blowing to speedo and fuel - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
09muscle-V-Rod
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cooling fan + fuse blowing to speedo and fuel

Hi I just purchased a 09 muscle V rod, and I noticed the cooling fans haven't kicked on since I have rode it, also the seller told me it blows a fuse once in a while that go to the speedo and fuel gauge and when he replaced it the fan would kick on for a short time and then turn off.
any ideas to check before taking into shop?

no codes come up when I check, im hoping the issues are connected somehow.

Thanks, casey
09muscle-V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09muscle-V-Rod View Post
Hi I just purchased a 09 muscle V rod, and I noticed the cooling fans haven't kicked on since I have rode it, also the seller told me it blows a fuse once in a while that go to the speedo and fuel gauge and when he replaced it the fan would kick on for a short time and then turn off.
any ideas to check before taking into shop?

no codes come up when I check, im hoping the issues are connected somehow.
Those items are connected. The fans get power through the BATTERY fuse. If this fuse blows your IM (instrument module) gauges and odometer won't work. You also can't run IM diagnostics with the BATTERY fuse blown.

You probably have one or two bad fan motors or something like a bad bearing or obstruction that won't allow a fan motor to rotate.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
09muscle-V-Rod
Registered Full

that's what I was starting to think, should I purchase new fans and go from there ya think?

also the fuse has not blown for me since I bought it, only fans have no come on and now ive noticed some fluid in the fan cowl.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
stever975
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
that's what I was starting to think, should I purchase new fans and go from there ya think?

also the fuse has not blown for me since I bought it, only fans have no come on and now ive noticed some fluid in the fan cowl.
I don't know what the fluid you mention might be (the fans don't use any fluids so it probably came from somewhere else.) I would need to look at the fans to see what was wrong and do some electrical tests to see if the motors were bad. It's hard to make a recommendation without doing these tests.

The late model fans (2004 and newer) come as a two-fan unit (Harley P/N 26724-04). These can be replaced individually using a single Spal fan assembly (Spal P/N 30103059; description: VA31-A101-46a) but requires some "fiddling" not outlined in the service manual.
stever975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
09muscle-V-Rod
Registered Full

okay I appreciate the help! ill try and figure something out.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
knight rod rob
Registered Full

Fans

Quote:
okay I appreciate the help! ill try and figure something out.
I had that happen to me once. You can get rid of that system and wire the fans to their own voltage supply. And the im have their own also.I just did not like the gauges not working when the fans failed. If the fans fail the temp light wont work, DUH!
knight rod rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
stevemcgov
Registered Full

I'd Try this - Worked for me this spring:
Symptom - Fans not coming on when maxi-fuse put in

Remove the Maxi-Fuse
Remove the Fuses and Relays from the Fuse Box under the Seat.
Scuff and the fuse and relay legs with a scotch brite.
Spray contact cleaner and/or alcohol up in where they seat and do a little cue-tip cleanup inside the box.
Same with the Maxi-Fuse and where it seats.

Put the fuses and relays back in.
Put the Maxi-Fuse in last:
When Maxi-Fuse goes in the fans should turn on strong for 3-5 seconds
then back off.

Also, I believe the Starter and Fan Relays are the same so can be swapped to check it relay is bad (bike wont start)

You could test by Running the (warmed-up) bike on the stand for a few minutes with a rag over the Radiator intakes - Fans should come on quick - Careful not to overheat it!
Take the rags off and ride it, should turn fans off pretty quick (unless its real hot out)
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement