Anyone riding should know this - Page 11 - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > Special Interest > Safety Corner
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #151
Daniii
Geezer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm a little late adding this, but never, ever, tap the front brake in the rain when riding the white stripes. Its amazing how fast you can become inverted.

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #152
miibradley
Registered Full

Asphalt is hard and hurts when you hit it at any speed.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #153
Sharkey
Sharks-Parts

Feedback Score: 105 reviews
never ride without eye protection.....

and motorcycles attract the opposite sex.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Lil View Post
What is a very important bit of wisdom or knowlege you think all motorcyclists should know?

I'll start:
Always keep the front wheel straight when coming to a stop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the above information in this post in my opinion only....I recomend you check my advise with an expert....use this info at your own risk
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #154
AOW
K.I.A. '07 AW

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Shop View Post
never ride without PROPER eye protection.....
and motorcycles attract the opposite sex.....
your Gucci sunglasses might look good, but are those lenses shatter proof? Just because the label states that those are motorcycle glasses/goggles/eye protection, it does not mean that the lenses are shatter proof. Nothing worse than taking a stone to the lenses while riding just to have those lenses shatter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

embrace the "google search" function.... site:1130cc.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrivero
Nobody cares about your shit like you
Fuel gauge? We don't need no stinking Fuel gauge!!!
AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #155
Cowpieapex
Registered Geezer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most important thread in here!

It's been 5 years since this thread was bumped.

With multiple new riders checking in every week its time to tackle the question of how our new brothers are going to stay alive long enough to fully turbo/tinsel/bling and slam the coolest bikes on the road.

These things easily last 100K, lets try to keep a few from being totaled in the mean time.

With 45 years on the road I've run the gamut from leaky lash-ups to the engineering paragon that is the VRod.
50 weeks a year and 30+ bikes I've busted a few ribs but I've always ridden home.

I'll thump this drum some more but you could do worse than to partake of these 10 pages before you return to the examination of how to pry a bigger, tire/piston/chrome skull.... onto your sweet obsession.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #156
The Russian
Registered Full

Good résurrection. My thinking is boots and gloves. Do wearing high boots save your leg? No, but it keeps it intact instead of paramedics looking for it it the ditch somewhere. Gloves. If for every ten kilometers of speed you lose a mm of your skin is true how would your palms look like after skidding through the payment at 40 or so mph?
Boots and gloves my friends. As far this particular setup drop it on the ground pipe side if you must , it can take it, stock zinger can handle it k

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #157
Cowpieapex
Registered Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian View Post
Good résurrection. My thinking is boots and gloves. Do wearing high boots save your leg? No, but it keeps it intact instead of paramedics looking for it it the ditch somewhere. Gloves. If for every ten kilometers of speed you lose a mm of your skin is true how would your palms look like after skidding through the payment at 40 or so mph?
Boots and gloves my friends. As far this particular setup drop it on the ground pipe side if you must , it can take it, stock zinger can handle it k

Excellent observations!
You don't need to be riding at the limit for the limit to find you. Your radius can change suddenly when crap appears on a curve or some drone in a box, talking on a cell phone, takes their half from the center.

I recall the sensation of a gravel road passing between my shoulder-blades at 40 mph while a horse hide jacket rode securely in my saddle bag. It had been a nice day.

The right gear will determine how soon or if you ride again.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #158
The Russian
Registered Full

Ouch

The Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #159
Cowpieapex
Registered Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landglider View Post
As soon as you spot a dead carcass of anything the size of a squirrel or larger... hold your breath until you're 5/6/7/8 seconds past the guts and crap splattered in the road. (It beats inhaling the stench of rotting flesh).
The odor of roadkill is one good warning of an increased danger of hitting deer in particular.
Dusk and dawn near bodies of water especially during the dark of the moon, slow down and watch for any visible deer. Where you see one there are others. If one has crossed another will likely follow. Don't rely on them to keep moving away, pivoting back across your path is one of their favorite tactics.
When a collision looks inevitable you don't have to go down. Straighten your course and brace, release your brakes before impact and coast to a stop to asses damage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #160
wuaname
Registered Full

Good info in this thread for me; even if just reminders, since I had been off a motorcycle for a few years
Old 10-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #161
timbercruzr
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpieapex View Post
The odor of roadkill is one good warning of an increased danger of hitting deer in particular.
Dusk and dawn near bodies of water especially during the dark of the moon, slow down and watch for any visible deer. Where you see one there are others. If one has crossed another will likely follow. Don't rely on them to keep moving away, pivoting back across your path is one of their favorite tactics.
When a collision looks inevitable you don't have to go down. Straighten your course and brace, release your brakes before impact and coast to a stop to asses damage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Release your brakes before impact? I never thought of such a thing. I once broadsided the neighbors yellow lab with a 2 stroke 250. Didn't much hurt the dog, I had a scab on about everything that stuck out. Shorts, tennis shoes, wife beater shirt. Almost got by with it, and have to wonder if I could have stayed up if I had released the brakes, and maybe blipped the throttle on the way over him.
Cowpieapex's description of the correct mindset for riding in deer country is spot on. Don't look at the friggin deer, look at where it came from. Ride slower at deer-thirty.
As for the cage drivers, don't assume that they are any smarter than a deer.
timbercruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #162
Daniii
Geezer

Two rules for every motorcyclist:

1.) When you put your helmet on, you are invisible to cars.

2.) If they do see you, they want to kill you.

That is all.

This is as amusing as watching chimps in a zoo, only without having to dodge flung poo. (Coonass)
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #163
VaderRod
Registered Full

I just got my first bike and am going to the safety course this month. I really wanted to thank all of you for sharing your experiences and knowledge with those of us who are new to this.
VaderRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:30 AM   #164
LPadilla34
Lady 1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSMAN View Post
1. expect the unexpected

2. Aim high in steering....be aware of whats going on ahead of your immediate space.

3. Get the big picture. How deep is your space, how wide....back off from billboards( large trucks or anything that stops you from seeing far enuff ahead) WATCH FOR HEADS AT THE WHEELS OF PARKED CARS ie opening doors in your path.

4. leave yourself an out. never allow yourself to be totally boxed in, or trapped.

5. Make sure they see you. make eye contact...use brights, horn, whatever.....if they didnt look at you assume they don't know you are there.

6. when pulling onto a street look left, right, then left again. Left again, because that is the lane which will hit you first if someone sneaks up on you.
Man, I appreciate this a lot. Full of riding wisdom!
LPadilla34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #165
Wesleyshawn
Registered Full

When I ride with another rider or in a group, I always establish with the closest riders which area of the lane I want to ride (right or left stagger) and hold that position for the duration of the ride. It's frustrating and downright dangerous to be in a group and have the guys nearest you all over the lane.
Wesleyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement