VRSCR Riser dimensions - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
zantegr
Registered Full

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VRSCR Riser dimensions

Wondering if someone can help. I need the width of the VRSCR riser. If anyone has this info that would be great.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zantegr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

1.355 Inches, came up with that twice after just riding it but interference from brake, clutch lines, wires etc. could change that a figure a little- I've been dreaming of risers for my R but after a lot of research here on the site I came to the conclusion of buying '07 bars for my '06 which has worked out great. If you can't get '07 bars just buy taller bars don't buy risers, as all they do is add looseness, creakiness, another point of failure, etc. Not Recommended - I actually had a riser bolt back out of my Triumph risers, found it when the bars suddenly got loose like an old car with slop in the steering wheel - I was shocked to see the riser bolt backed out. Just source another set of handlebars, bearing in mind the stretch limit of stock brake, clutch lines and wires, ( higher and farther back '07 bars need an '07 brake line ) and don't go any further - it defeats the purpose of buying an R and having the look it provides - don't know what your intention is but that's what I know - Best of Luck !!
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I dug into this a LONG time ago for my R. Ended up putting '07 bars on my '06 and swapping out the clutch and brake lines.

V-Mod used to make an R specific kit, but they're long gone.

The other suggestion I saw once (but never acted on) was XL1200N Nightster bars. They supposedly fit, but you'd have to fabricate clutch and brake lines.

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Guys, which -07 bars? R, D, CX or DX? Are they all identical? Educate me... Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
flybigjet
Departed the Fix.

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut J View Post
Guys, which -07 bars? R, D, CX or DX? Are they all identical? Educate me... Thanks.
Knut--

I was talking about the 2007 R bars vs. the 2006 R bars.

Try this thread and the articles referenced, especially post #9. Back when I had the R, I dug up the numbers for the various bars-- I'm sure that information is long gone unless you *really* know how to search for it!

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296386

Cheers--

R.
USAF: 1989-1997. Desert Shield (Saudi Arabia), Desert Storm (Kuwait, Iraq), Provide Comfort (Kurdistan), Restore Hope (Somalia), Uphold Democracy (Hati), Joint Endeavor (Bosnia), Support Hope (Rwanda). USAFR: 1997-2014. Iraqi Freedom (Iraq), Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). Retired, Oct. 2014.
flybigjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
zantegr
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodracer View Post
1.355 Inches, came up with that twice after just riding it but interference from brake, clutch lines, wires etc. could change that a figure a little- I've been dreaming of risers for my R but after a lot of research here on the site I came to the conclusion of buying '07 bars for my '06 which has worked out great. If you can't get '07 bars just buy taller bars don't buy risers, as all they do is add looseness, creakiness, another point of failure, etc. Not Recommended - I actually had a riser bolt back out of my Triumph risers, found it when the bars suddenly got loose like an old car with slop in the steering wheel - I was shocked to see the riser bolt backed out. Just source another set of handlebars, bearing in mind the stretch limit of stock brake, clutch lines and wires, ( higher and farther back '07 bars need an '07 brake line ) and don't go any further - it defeats the purpose of buying an R and having the look it provides - don't know what your intention is but that's what I know - Best of Luck !!

Thank you for the info. I own a 2003 VRSCA, I have ordered custom handlebars and the fabricator needed to know the width from riser to riser to complete the bars. I have ordered a set or VRSCR risers but they are in the mail and could not measure.
Thanks again

Old 12-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Knut--

I was talking about the 2007 R bars vs. the 2006 R bars.

Try this thread and the articles referenced, especially post #9. Back when I had the R, I dug up the numbers for the various bars-- I'm sure that information is long gone unless you *really* know how to search for it!

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296386

Cheers--

R.
Rod; Thank You, great thread! I miss Philthy and his posts...

Jason; Sorry for hijacking. Pictures when bars installed? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
zantegr
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut J View Post
Rod; Thank You, great thread! I miss Philthy and his posts...

Jason; Sorry for hijacking. Pictures when bars installed? Thanks.

All good Knut, the more questions in a thread the more we learn

Will definitely post pics when all sorted! Waiting on parts, fingers crossed here so I can fit over Christmas break.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

zantegr - So I don't know what the width from riser mount hole centerline to centerline is on your A Model upper triple clamp but on my R Model the O.D. of the installed risers ( the total installed width from the left outboard side to the right outboard side ) is 4.850". The handlebars must be perfectly straight for about another .500 on each side before curving upwards to be like an '07 R handlebar. This leaves the tube perfectly straight where the risers clamp it down and gives clearance for the instrument clamshell to clear the upsweep since it overhangs the risers. Just some additional thoughts your fabricator might want to know - Also the way the R clamshell is mounted to the risers is quite different than most other V Rods so if you plan on using your A clamshell it may not mount to them in the same way. Good Luck & send a photo when you get 'em !
Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
zantegr
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
zantegr - So I don't know what the width from riser mount hole centerline to centerline is on your A Model upper triple clamp but on my R Model the O.D. of the installed risers ( the total installed width from the left outboard side to the right outboard side ) is 4.850". The handlebars must be perfectly straight for about another .500 on each side before curving upwards to be like an '07 R handlebar. This leaves the tube perfectly straight where the risers clamp it down and gives clearance for the instrument clamshell to clear the upsweep since it overhangs the risers. Just some additional thoughts your fabricator might want to know - Also the way the R clamshell is mounted to the risers is quite different than most other V Rods so if you plan on using your A clamshell it may not mount to them in the same way. Good Luck & send a photo when you get 'em !

Thank you for the measurements, I appreciate you checking. They are nearly identical to the measurements I got yesterday based on the VRSCA measurements. Below is an image of the bars, they are straight in the middle 1 inch diameter and then he come out to 2 inches then back to 1inch for the controls and grips. I will not be using the VRSCA clamshell, I ordered the VRSCF instrument housing and speedo (which is being customized as we speak by Angelo at Dutch LED). What I am hoping to be able achieve is to use the 2 screw holes that are on the VRSCR risers (that hold the VRSCR clamshell in place) to mount a bracket that will hold the speedo and housing. To be honest not sure how it will turn out, but I expect a good result. Will definitely upload pics when done. Have done a ton of research using 1130cc and have received loads of responses to my questions to get me to try this. Fingers crossed and will update the thread when done

Old 12-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Holy Crap Batman ! ( zantegr ) that's pretty wild ! Your scaring me a bit with those overly generous wiring / cable cutout slots - are those structurally sound ?
Old 12-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #12
zantegr
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Holy Crap Batman ! ( zantegr ) that's pretty wild ! Your scaring me a bit with those overly generous wiring / cable cutout slots - are those structurally sound ?

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. To be honest I donít know, the handle bars are being made at the moment. He specializes in making custom bars but Iíll message him now to check just to be sure.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Don’t make this so difficult. Drill out the holes for the riser bolts in the top tree to 1/2 inch. You can now use any Harley riser you want, from about 2 inches tall to 12 inches, plus you can use any Harley style 1inch handlebars, but there are only about a thousand to choose from. I’d suggest getting the Goodrich micro line to extend the brake & clutch lines. Super easy assembly & practically disappears visually. Barnett probably has the longer throttle cables in stock.
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
swampboogiedoug
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
To mount the gauges, get some 1inch wide by 1/8 thick aluminum strap. Put a 1/2 hole in one end of each strap and put it under your new risers. There are some really small (1/8 ?) holes already molded into the backside of the gauge housing. Drill the four holes to locate the housing forward of the risers. This is cleaner than the stock mounting and puts the gauges at a better angle for visibility.
swampboogiedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
zantegr
Registered Full

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampboogiedoug View Post
To mount the gauges, get some 1inch wide by 1/8 thick aluminum strap. Put a 1/2 hole in one end of each strap and put it under your new risers. There are some really small (1/8 ?) holes already molded into the backside of the gauge housing. Drill the four holes to locate the housing forward of the risers. This is cleaner than the stock mounting and puts the gauges at a better angle for visibility.

Thank you for the advice. It is a great solution, and one I might use if these risers donít work out. I have decided to go down this route because it means I wonít have to drill the triple tree. Its not that I canít do it, but I would rather be able to go back to stock if I want to without using bushings exc.. Still waiting on the custom bars, hope to get them before Christmas so I can install them over the break. Fingers crossed it all works
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement