New Member - Throttle Question - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD Mechanical
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
jopagajo
Blue Lightning

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Member - Throttle Question

Hi all !
Just picked up an '05 VRSCSE.
The bike is mint and runs great, but compared to every other bike I've ridden, the throttle does not quickly and easily return to idle, and it takes a bit of effort if I want to "open" it up.
As I have nothing to compare this to, is this normal ?
If not, what should I be looking at / for, or does this need a skilled mechanic ?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
jopagajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Markh
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopagajo View Post
Hi all !
The bike is mint and runs great, but compared to every other bike I've ridden, the throttle does not quickly and easily return to idle, and it takes a bit of effort if I want to "open" it up.
If not, what should I be looking at / for, or
does this need a skilled mechanic ?
Check to be sure the throttle set screw located between the 2 throttle cables located on the throttle housing isn't screwed in to far!
Markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Elgavilan
The Hawk

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
As stated above, itís a thumb screw just inboard of the throttle grip. Also if that is okay, then the cables may need adjustment. Loosen the throttle return cable a turn or two and see if itís better, if so then tighten it a little at a time until you find the spot where it starts to bind, and go back a bit then tighten down the set nut. Check it when turned all the way each direction to make sure itís good. The manual has the throttle adjustment procedure in it, get one if you donít have one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 11-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
stevemcgov
Registered Full

What he said, there's a friction type thumb screw on the underside of the throttle, try loosening it - careful not to unscrew it all the way out.

- spray the hell out of the grip area w/silicone or wd40 on the inside (left) where it's open while tilting bike to the right

w/ the airbox on, look in from the right side under the airbox, move the throttle back and forth and spray the cable and moving parts there...

w/ the air box bottom removed you can get a good look at the cable and parts and spray or grease it there.

also under the grip are the throttle pull and return CABLE adjusters - pull back the rubber boot to inspect - adjust
may need adjusting..GL
stevemcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Knut J
VRSC est -03

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Post # 7:
https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showth...tle+adjustment

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WILL RACE FOR FOOD!
Knut J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
rbabos
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Getting the return cable too snug will tend to stiffen up the system as well and impede throttle return. Be aware of that when doing the adjustments. A good lube, CORRECT cable adjustment should get it done as long as there are not kinks in the cables. Another issue that can come up is the twist grip pushed to far onto the bar. It will jam the end of the bar, again causing friction on the return effect. Feel for that small amount of in and out on the twist grip to rule that out.
Ron
rbabos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
RONVROD
My Last Ride

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopagajo View Post
Hi all !
If not, what should I be looking at / for, or does this need a skilled mechanic ?
Check the throttle drag located between the throttle cables at the handle bars.
RONVROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
silverslut
Lifetime Premium

As stated by stevemcgov look at the throttlebody linkages. You didn't state the mileage of the bike but my own personal ride benefited from lubing the cable and parts. I see you live in MA I live in CT where mother nature is not kind to metal. If you remove the airbox ensure your throttlebodies open fully also since you are there. There are threads on bikes that have not. -Kevin
silverslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement