How to inspect a Night Rod Special for second hand purchase - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 11-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
FiNaR
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to inspect a Night Rod Special for second hand purchase

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of getting my very first Night Rod Special in USA...

I have found a dealer ur when I asked info, I feel I got "vague answers"

I simply asked:

1) which dealer was the bike originally purchased
2) how many owners the bike had
3) how many sevices the bike had
4) is the bike accident free

For questions 1,2 and 3, the dealer told me the USA law (privacy) dis not allow him to provide me with the info (he actually mentioned that he does not know the info himself)

For question 4 he told me that for what his service/mechanical department is concern and for what is reported on the title, the bike is clean... But he mention that he would not be able to know if the bike was by any chance wrecked and completely rebuilt...

In this scenario, I am here with a couple of questions:

- is the dealer playing up with me or this is actually the "reality"? (In Europe we get all that info... Keep in mind that I am not asking owner details...)

- for my peace of mind, what would the best inspection checklist to ensure the bike is legit and not a wreackage bike? (I buying it over phone/Internet, therefore also third party report/check would probably be necessarily)

Thank you all

Ivan

Last edited by FiNaR; 11-09-2019 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
FiNaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is my limited knowledge. In most states you cant sell a rebuilt bike as new. If there was an insurance pay out, you will get a salvage title. Meaning that the bike has been repaired (many times to no standard) and insurance paid for it. Now do not quote me but that is what was explained to me. It could have been totaled and a new title given but there is a whole verification thing and many times that will cost more than one can ever make back. What I said is more on the auto side but I think the laws are pretty much for all. THis is basic how it works here in North Carolina...

Many times just looking at something will give clues, different hues of color, different bolts used, visual things, like the way something lines up.
I do think for a few bucks you can do a vin search, and find out the answers to the other questions. CARFAX?
Lastly if the price is too cheap or too high ask a lot of questions, the other thing at a dealership is find out the day salesman 1 has off and call back when salesman 1 has off to talk to salesman 2 see how the stories line up.
I know I can go on many used car websites and it will give info like how many owners and some will have the last service. CARFAX is part of that info so its not private. You wont get the names of the other owners but the head count.

Alos many salesmen do not know all the ins and outs, they feed to others what they think or heard. Not intentional bad info but also not educated.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm

Last edited by Nas3car; 11-09-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: add info
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
H-D Heathen
Asatruar

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
IMO, that dealer is either uninformed or lying to you about US law preventing disclosure of that information,otherwise services such as Carfax, and others would not exist.

A quick search resulted in several choices , one that does include motorcycles is:
https://www.vehiclehistory.gov/index.html

From their FAQ page:
NMVTIS includes information on automobiles, buses, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, motor homes, and tractors. NMVTIS may not currently include commercial vehicles if those vehicles are not included in a state's primary database for title records (in some states, those vehicles are managed by a separate agency), although these records may be added at a later time."

"Nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently motivated fool."

2006 VRSCR-"Not another black V Rod..." She's been beat on, thrown to the ground, abused,neglected & put away dirty..... but the gas gauge works !

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more.I thought I was mellowing as I got older,turns out I just don’t give a shit.”

H-D Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #4
FiNaR
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas3car View Post
CARFAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D Heathen View Post
Thank you both for your suggestions... I managed to speak with Salesman #2 and I got a bit more info.... not contradictory but more

Now I stand with the following info:
  • Bike firstly purchased from a HD dealer in North Carolina
  • The current dealer (based in Tennessee) bought the bike from a private owner (If I look at their website they seems to do that this is the busines smodel, because they have heaps of second hand bikes (https://www.smh-d.com/ -> anybody knows them? are thy good?)
  • Bike has been fully checked and serviced before to be put on the floor
  • Bike has a clean title (which they cannot share with me before I purchase-> this is strange???) - they assure me that they do not deal with bike that do not have a clean title

what both Salesman #1 and #2 told me, is that the bike is clean and their mechanics did not find anything wrong, but they cannot find trustable info on:
  • Number of owners
  • Service history
  • 100% assurance that the bike has never been wrecked (they mention that if an accident would have not involved police and/or insurance, a previous owner could "in theory" completely rebuilt the bike, but it would have been almost impossible...

on top of this , their comment on CARFAX and any other similar service is that for bike, there is pretty much NO guarantee that the info is accurate...

what everybody thinks about my experience?? should I trust the dealer or is "playing smart"
Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Goin out on a limb, most if not all dealers shy away from wrecked, more than cosmetic damage. This does not mean they cant be lied to or something covered up.
Also there is a grey arear with the word wrecked in the extent of what damage might have been done. Hear it all the time in racing, I wrecked the car, and it just has body damage. Next week same driver wrecked the car and it filpped 3 times.
I asume you mean something like frame, bent or slide down the road. That would be my thoughts on what a dealer would try to shy away from. Now dropped or backed into in garage and bent the forks or crushed the pipes and broke a side cover. That could go un reported. Owner repaired out of own pocket.

I hope that helps some more than opens up more worms.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
FiNaR
Registered Full

Quote:
Goin out on a limb, most if not all dealers shy away from wrecked, more than cosmetic damage. This does not mean they cant be lied to or something covered up.
Also there is a grey arear with the word wrecked in the extent of what damage might have been done. Hear it all the time in racing, I wrecked the car, and it just has body damage. Next week same driver wrecked the car and it filpped 3 times.
I asume you mean something like frame, bent or slide down the road. That would be my thoughts on what a dealer would try to shy away from. Now dropped or backed into in garage and bent the forks or crushed the pipes and broke a side cover. That could go un reported. Owner repaired out of own pocket.

I hope that helps some more than opens up more worms.
thank make sense... thank you last question is about the title... is it my right to see it before? I asked to send me a copy, but they said it has sensitive/private info of the previous owner and therefore that cannot provide me with it before I purchase it.... make sense????

I am talkign about https://www.smh-d.com/ which seems to be a reputable dealer....

Thank you for any comment
Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
thedoctor77
NSFW

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNaR View Post
thank make sense... thank you last question is about the title... is it my right to see it before? I asked to send me a copy, but they said it has sensitive/private info of the previous owner and therefore that cannot provide me with it before I purchase it.... make sense????

I am talkign about https://www.smh-d.com/ which seems to be a reputable dealer....

Thank you for any comment
Ivan,

A dealer practice that I've heard about is NOT getting a new title for a vehicle after they have purchased it from an individual. I guess this saves them from a title fee. The title they have is from the previous owner and still has their info on it. Then the title transfers directly to the new buyer.

I don't know if it's a privacy issue or not. Or a law governing it or not.

Doc

I can fix this for you, but you'll pay a terrible price.

If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

The customer is always right and we shall make them pay dearly for their arrogance.

2006 VRSCR Street Rod
VMS Racing Bar End Mirrors (MBEM0930BK)
Drilled stock exhaust
HD Sundowner Seats
HD Engine Guards
thedoctor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:21 AM   #8
FiNaR
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor77 View Post
Ivan,

A dealer practice that I've heard about is NOT getting a new title for a vehicle after they have purchased it from an individual. I guess this saves them from a title fee. The title they have is from the previous owner and still has their info on it. Then the title transfers directly to the new buyer.

I don't know if it's a privacy issue or not. Or a law governing it or not.

Doc
Thank you for this "insights".. it actually makes sense...

Here is what I have done:
  • I called Harley Davidson headquarter and I asked info on the bike (the dealer is advertised in on its website and they published also the VIN). HD provided me with the following info:
    - Manufacturing date - July 2016
    - Shipping day to the dealer - August 2016
    - Name of the dealer where the bike was shipped
  • I then called the dealer (in North Carolina) and asked about the bike, obtaining the following, any warranty claim, any reported damage/accident, any service, resulting into a "clean bike" accordingly to the reports... (it got serviced only once in 2017 at 1000 miles)...

Now, the bike has an aftermarket exhaust (Bassani 2 in 1) and it is sold by a dealer in Tennessee ... it has 3500 miles

My doubts are:
- why a bike made in 2016 is marketed as 2017 bike? (is the production line one year ahead?)
- if the bike was serviced between 2017 till now in a non HD dealer, does it lose warranty? (especially by having an aftermarket exhaust)

is it normal that a biker does 1000 miles in about 2 months and then 2500 miles in 2 years?

this is the bike: https://www.chopperexchange.com/For-...Special/975513

any suggestion on how to get the history will be much appreciated

Thank you
Old 11-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #9
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

I bought my Vrod in August 2006, took delivery in September 2006 it is a 2007, Up till a few years ago all new models were debuted in September for the next model year. So bikes were built in August or maybe sooner to be in showrooms in September. It is very common to have a vehicle built in August of say 2015 but it is a 2016. BMW offered one model as a 2017 in April of 2016. There is a build date and the 10th number in the VIN is the model year.
Miles on a bike can vary a lot. I put about 18,000 in the first two years So from 2008 till now I have put about 12,000. This year alone I put over 4000 of that. So yea that can be common.
Warranty that is a can of worms. With HD having a two year it might not be a selling point anymore.
Here is a chart for the vin breakdown.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
FiNaR
Registered Full

Quote:
There is a build date and the 10th number in the VIN is the model year.
thank you so much for this! is there any number/letter in the VIN for the production year?

thank you again
Old 11-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

I think we may have a word thing going on. If it is a 2017 the production for me is the model year. So no matter when it was built it is still a 2017 ie. built in September of 2016 or June of 2017. There is a build date, some give the whole date Month, Day Year. Others will give just the Month Year. That is on the tag for the Vin. My Vrod bild date or Manufacture date is 08-06. August of 2006. Though the bike is a 2007. My 2015 Chevy is just month year. I do think Japan and Euro use the Year month day on the info tag.
I hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement