Tipping Point - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 10-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tipping Point

We had a conversation the other day about money vs perceived performance gains.

Just one of many topics was the VRSC battery. Lithium vs AGM. My side was that for some $120 ish more for a slight loss in weight the average to above average rider would never notice. I am not even sure its enough to show up on a time slip drag, or twisties.

The other side was for that money and being you are taking weight off the highest most forward part of the bike it would cost 2 or 3 times that much to find those improvements elsewhere.

I just didn't see 7 or 8 pounds on a 700 pound bike a big deal. Put one gallon lass gas in it at the pump there is 7 pounds...Its like 1%.
Any Edit is to fix spelling
Hunt and Peck its a way of life
Still no Facebook just older
BUMPER beats HELMET every time.
They removed my soul to fit in all this sarcasm
Nas3car is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Pr0jekt
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That isn't the only benefit to Lithium batteries though. They tend to have longer life cycles, typically keep a charge longer than AGM (for those that don't ride most days), some come with built-in jump start type features, more cranking amps, etc.

I actually just bought an antigravity lithium (waiting for it to come in) because I noticed my original battery starting to give out and the bike hesitates to fire up unless I keep it on the charger and I ride almost every day.
Pr0jekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Yes you have valid points but for just a performance advantage, I would not buy one just for that.

My last AGM battery lasted 8 years and i did not use it all the time. I also did not battery tend it. It was a freak... In fairness I priced a HD lithium and it was $250 and they wanted to sell me the charger for it. But battery to battery the Deka(East Penn) that I bought cost me $89 and it was a direct fit. I can buy 3 of them for the one HD.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
streetrodracer
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Step right up, lose weight for as little as $ 15.50 a Lb !

We've spoke of this before - but losing weight on the porky V Rod only matters to those that value a lighter bike. For real H-D bikers that weigh half the bike, why bother ? For guys that weigh a quarter of the bike weight, yea, it helps.

9.6 Lbs of up high weight for $150 more than a regular battery is only $ 15.50 a Lb.

20 Lbs on an exhaust system for $ 850 is $ 42.50 a Lb.

3 Lbs of weight a wheel, two @ 6 Lbs for $ 1600 is $ 266 a Lb.

5 Lbs of weight a wheel, two @ 10 Lbs for $ 2500 is $ 250 a Lb.

So yea, IF you value weight loss, you can't beat a Lithium or LiFePo Battery, Lbs lost per $. I recommend the Earth-X, a much more stable version. Love mine. Weight is Evil. Weight reduces M/C Fun. Get rid of weight ( whatever you can afford ) you'll be happier, IF it matters to you. IF not, don't worry about it -
streetrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Nas3car
Shelby Stanga Rocks

Yes on everything you said.