Video: Noise Normal? - 1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum
» Sponsors
Go Back   1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum > V-ROD Discussions > V-ROD General
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Old 03-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
storx
Registered Full

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Video: Noise Normal?

I have only owned this bike a month and to be completely honest with you i have been having so much fun with it riding it i for the life of me ever remember this noise on the engine when i first purchased it. Its very hard to hear over the exhaust, so i think i have been missing it for a while due to wearing a full face helmet, because i cant hear it with the helmet on. I noticed it recently, because i was showing the bike to a family member and started it while off the bike and the noise was noticed then.. since noticing it, my ears seem to hear it every time i ride now.. the bike seems to run perfect, so not sure what exactly the noise is.. the bike currently has 4800ish miles only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_thuq9xRF8&feature=youtu.be
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Aton
Registered Full

Hard to know what u r hearing w out being there but to me it sounds like u have an exhaust leak. If u do look around the mounting points. U will see exhaust soot tracks where the leak has been escaping.
It can be hidden behind the heat shields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The front exhaust flange seems to be tight up against the head. The should be a 1/4" gap or so if torqued properly.. Maybe missing or damaged front exhaust gasket?

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA – Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
RustyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
Aton
Registered Full

Rustyg is right it is pretty tight!
Aton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
storx
Registered Full

I might replace them all just for the hell of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

There's only two.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 03-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #7
storx
Registered Full

Does anyone know the torque spec

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
storx
Registered Full

Does anyone know if it matters if i use the stock single pipe exhaust clamps vs the screamin eagle double pipe clamp? I ask because i dropped by the dealership on the way home and they could not find exhaust clamps orderable via screamin eagle and the stock clamps for my bike are single units...

The one on my exhaust is pretty rusty, i sprayed it with penetration fluid and it wouldnt break loose yet, so i stopped to see if i can get a replacement before i destroy it.

Also when i dropped by the dealer and talked a little with the service department, they listened to it and told me it sounds like the valve lash is needing shimmed based off the ticking sound they can hear, its mostly coming from the front of the throttle body area more so the rear of the front cylinder head... Could this be true with only 4800 miles?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

That ticking probably is not the valves. Some folks have reported that the Fuel injectors sometimes sound like this. Based on their assessment of the location I suspect that is what it is. Don't worry about it unless it is real bad. The fuel injectors are screwed to the Fuel Rail which sits beneath the throttle body between the cylinders.
'
Also, only worry about the valves if you don't hear them. At 4800 miles you should not need valve shimming. I would wait until at least 15,000.
'
As to the exhaust clamp I assume you are talking about the clamp that is shaped like a figure 8 and secures the two header pipes to the aux volume? If so its part number is 65043-01A. This info assumes you have a stock setup.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
storx
Registered Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
That ticking probably is not the valves. Some folks have reported that the Fuel injectors sometimes sound like this. Based on their assessment of the location I suspect that is what it is. Don't worry about it unless it is real bad. The fuel injectors are screwed to the Fuel Rail which sits beneath the throttle body between the cylinders.
'
Also, only worry about the valves if you don't hear them. At 4800 miles you should not need valve shimming. I would wait until at least 15,000.
'
As to the exhaust clamp I assume you are talking about the clamp that is shaped like a figure 8 and secures the two header pipes to the aux volume? If so its part number is 65043-01A. This info assumes you have a stock setup.
YES!, that is the part im talking about, amazing how the HD dealer spent 15 minutes and couldnt find a part number for that part.... sigh...

In regards to the Noise, its def not a normal sound, there was another VROD 2003 at the dealership for sale (Overpriced) that they started up to let me listen to and i couldn't hear the sound that my bike is making on it at all.. Im really hoping its the exhaust leaking, im going to order 2 new exhaust gaskets and take the ENTIRE exhaust off the bike and look it over carefully for cracks and such then install it back on..

Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
storx
Registered Full

I may upgrade exhaust to something else, my exhaust baffles are extremely rusty and rattle a little, the outside of the pipes still look beautiful, but the baffles from looking at the rear are terrible looking and all the clamps holding the heat shields on are rusty... im really loving the idea of putting a pair of toxics on the bike.. love the side dump style..

Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
leaderofmopeds
Registered Full

You may be missing rings behind exhaust flange, #10 in link. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....HAUST%20SYSTEM
leaderofmopeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
storx
Registered Full

Well i looked into the leak more today by using soapy water with the engine bone cold.. i could not find any signs of leak except a small tiny amount of bubbles on the front port in between the sealing plate and exhaust pipe, it made a small amount of micro bubbles there but not on the outside of the pipe.. not sure if that small amount is enough to worry about...

I did check my intake pcv to see if the catch can was making the ticking as someone else mentioned in another thread was the ticking they had, my pcv top is very very loose, but i didnt hear any change in the noise pressing it down... i will get something to tighten this as there is oil residue running down the side of this canister...

I did notice something by mistake when i had one of my friends over, he leaned on one side of the intake box and the idle drastically changed... so i pushed on it and its repeatable both pushing on and pulling up.. it seems to make the knock more noticable as the bike rpms drop... attaching a video for it

Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #14
RustyG
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaderofmopeds View Post
You may be missing rings behind exhaust flange, #10 in link. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....HAUST%20SYSTEM
Part #10 is what holds the exhaust flange on to the pipes. Without it the flange will just slide off the pipe.

John
Quote:
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2002 Road King Classic
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #15
storx
Registered Full

just fyi, if anyone wants to know the torque specs of the exhaust here it is, i bought a copy of the service manual today because i have a few things i think i have going on....

Firstly im certain that my ticking is an exhaust leak.. so i ordered some new gaskets and plan to take the exhaust off and replace them just for good measures due to the amount of decel popping im getting

Secondly i think i have a intake leak, because of the air box being touching is causing the engine to change in idle dramatically, to include stalling it.. so i wanted to get the manual on how to take that assembly apart to check torque on everything.

I need to buy a torque wrench that can do inch pounds, because many of the measurements for this bike are in inch pounds and mine is more so designed for like 200ft/lbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement